A solution to the Illegal Immigration "Problem"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A solution to the Illegal Immigration "Problem"

Assertion: Illegal Immigration negatively impacts the American middle and lower classes for the benefit of corporate entities and rich people.

All this debate going on regarding solving the illegal immigration "problem" largely misses addressing the primary driving force that draws illegal immigrants, jobs. That's right, every small business owner (or large business owner for that matter) that justifies the hiring of illegals in the name of the bottom-line is guilty of condemning America to an ever-widening gulf of economic inequality. Want to solve the problem? Enact legislation that makes it a jail-time felony to hire illegal workers and make sure that the punishment is explicitly applied to C-level executives. For years the business community refused to invest in upgrades to their infosystem architecture in order to secure them, this changed in a hurry when the Sarbanes-Oxley Act made C-level execs PERSONALLY liable for the condition of their data networks and the information contained therein. We don't need to build a bigger fence, or install motion sensitive machine-guns at the border, or come up with a fancy program to integrate illegals into our country (any such motion smacks of creating second-class citizens without the rights and responsibilities that a full-citizen is obligated). We need to punish (HARSHLY) anyone who would be a scofflaw and hire illegals because they work on the cheap, can be fired-at-will, don't get health-insurance, have little to no knowledge of labor laws, are less likely to complaing about the above, and cannot be organized into unions (which in case anyone forgot, are just about the only things standing between us and the misery of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, remember child labor and 80-hour work weeks? That's right you DON'T because the unions made sure that couldn't happen anymore!). Hiring of illegal immigrants is white-collar crime on a grand scale, bigger than Enron, bigger than Tyco, this crime strikes at the heart of American cultural ethos of being able to work an honest day's work and receive an honest day's pay.

Jewlipino

Re: A solution to the Illegal Immigration "Problem"

Heheheheh. About 99% of the people who live in Beverly Hills would probably be considered criminals, then! I have no problems with immigrants, so long as they pay their fair share of taxes and don't overtax the systems I am paying into that support "legal" Americans who might be struggling economically. Illegal immigrants may be taking jobs that Americans don't want, but in taking those jobs they make it harder for legal citizens to make decent wages. That. coupled with the departure of manufacturing and high tech jobs overseas, means the rest of us are just treading water (or perhaps going slightly underwater) while the middle class in India and China grows by leaps and bounds.

19 guys (house painters--some legally in this country and some not) who worked for the same company up here all got fired for participating in the immigration protest march that was held in Seattle on Monday (about 25,000 people were in that march, which is huge for Seattle). They claim they asked permission from their bosses to be part of the protest march weeks ago, and now their employer says, "I don't remember giving them permission". Guess who's not going to get their jobs back???

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; April 13, 2006, 06:12 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Listen. I know what the laws are. I understand that we've got a lot of people living in this country who haven't been allowed in.

What I don't get -- and I'm totally sincere, so please help me understand -- is why 99% of these people aren't just allowed in. It seems that most of these people merely want a new life, a better life, and will do what it takes to make it happen. They want to work. They want to raise families somewhere prosperous and free. Why can't we just let them line up, sign up, and go?

I understand that security is an issue, but most of these people coming from Mexico are just regular people; how hard would it be for them to get a piece of paper from their own governments saying they've got nothing on 'em, and then assign them alien resident status, and let them pursue the dream.

There are jobs. There is room. I don't get it. I don't get why my mom was allowed to come over from Japan, but these people, who remind me so much of my mom sometimes, just want to raise their kids somewhere they can be successful. She got the chance. Why can't everyone else?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

In order to understand why the immigration issue is so volatile right now, it might be useful to take a look at the history of the immigration rules in this country.

Every single "ethnic minority" in this country today (from African American to Chinese, to Asian Indian to Japanese, to Filipino to Vietnamese) has been subjected to quotas over the years (well, except for the Native Americans and the kanaka maoli, anyway, who were here first).

Now that the Hispanic population is the second largest contingent of residents, it's no wonder the people who are Caucasian are getting antsy and wanting to clamp down on immigration again. It's weird to be thrust in the role of an ethnic minority if you've always expected to be in the majority all your life. Same thing happens when Caucasians move to Hawai'i and find themselves in the minority, or when locals come up here to the Mainland.

And just like when selling of liquor was made illegal during Prohibition, people don't want to follow the rules if it means they are excluded from the action.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; April 13, 2006, 07:52 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Rather than repeat myself, I'll just point over here, where I wrote a few paragraphs.

I'm anti-wall, pro-higher wages.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Don't forget about the Mainland Chinese and the Pakistanis who are being smuggled into the US from Canada (23 illegal Chinese aliens were just caught here in Seattle last week...each person paid something like $60,000 to be cooped up in a shipping container for 2 weeks to get to our shores, and I think I read about a bunch of Pakistani nationals who were stopped at the Canadian border at Blaine, WA).

The other group that is profitting from these "illegals" (besides the business owners in this country who pay piddly wages to these hardworking people) are the ones who are extorting huge sums of money from these people who only want to make a better life for themselves and their families. If there was an equitable way to guarantee citizenship after a certain period of residency, we could put those evil scum "cattle herders" out of business.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; April 13, 2006, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Well our immigration policy is racist.... really racist. We need to let more people in legitimately, it's stupid that we don't.

Jewlipino

Comment

that is an incredibly ******* statement.

Admin, censor the above with asterisks or sumpin, if need be.

Comment

Re: Bush's LOW approval rating!

Just received this in an e-mail:

MR. PRESIDENT, I'M HEADED TO MEXICO

David M. Bresnahan
                  April 1, 2006
                  NewsWithViews.com

Dear President Bush:

I'm about to plan a little trip with my family and extended family, and
                  I would like to ask you to assist me. I'm going to walk across the
                  border from the U.S. into Mexico, and I need to make a few
                  arrangements. I know you can help with this. I plan to skip all the
                  legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration quotas and laws. I'm
                  sure they handle those things the same way you do here. So, would you
                  mind telling your buddy, President Vicente Fox, that I'm on my way
                  over? Please let him know that I will be expecting the following:

1. Free medical care for my entire family.

2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might
                  need, whether I use them or not.

3. All government forms need to be printed in English.

4. I want my kids to be taught by English-speaking teachers.

5. Schools need to include classes on American culture and history.

6. I want my kids to see the American flag flying on the top of the flag
                  pole at their school with the Mexican flag flying lower down.

7. Please plan to feed my kids at school for both breakfast and lunch.

8. I will need a local Mexican driver's license so I can get easy access
                  to government services.

9. I do not plan to have any car insurance, and I won't make any effort
                  to learn local traffic laws.

10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo
                  from Pres. Fox to leave me alone, please be sure that all police
                  officers speak English.

11. I plan to fly the U.S. flag from my house top, put flag decals on my
                  car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do not want any
                  complaints or negative comments from the locals.

12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes, and
                  don't enforce any labor laws or tax laws.

13. Please tell all the people in the country to be extremely nice and
                  never say a critical word about me, or about the strain I might place on
                  the economy. I know this is an easy request because you already do all
                  these things for all the people who come to the U.S. from Mexico. I am
                  sure that Pres. Fox won't mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely.

However, if he gives you any trouble, just invite him to go quail
                  hunting with your V.P.
                  Thank you so much for your kind help.

Sincerely,
                  David M. Bresnahan

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

People who work under someone else's SSN do pay taxes, they just don't get refunds.

And which part of Mexico used to be part of the US?

Funny, no one's up in arms about illegals from the UK.
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

solution. maybe.

Have the Star Spangled Banner re written in Mexican. as we hear it is being done in the news.
                      Have it sung somewhere in a big public event.
                      Where Mexicans are "demonstrating"

Have it sung by Rossanne Barr. Have it recorded. have it replayed over. And over. And over. And over. And over.

Comment

Kimo, as a person of white/Indian descent(not Mexican) I just want to say I don't think you get the Latin mentality of race.It's almost the exact opposite the Anglo.Of all the people here you don't have anything to fear,you are the pure blood."Your"people are the only group that Mexicans,when in large enough numbers ,don't tend to attack. Your local neighbors have a whole lot more to fear than you do.Haven't you ever noticed that most groups of young mexicans you see hanging out usualy have a couple of obvious Anglo dudes hangin with them or that in the public schools it's always Mexican/Anglo's sittin together.Heck even in the prison system the Arian brotherhood is now a part of the Mexicanmafia.And if you are worried about your people disapearing,don't be. White/indians when having kids whith fullblooded whites have little Christina Aguilera's and Jessica Alba's.Again Kimo,"you" don't have anything to fear.
                        Alice,who looks like a mexican LOL PEACE

Comment

Kimo,I'm sorry but I just can't let this go. Your atittude realy bugs me.Asians in the past several years have been targeted by Mexicans for racial abuse such as having to be placed in protective custody in prisons because Asian males have been"green lighted" and Asian kids,like black kids, now have to stay home from school on cinco de mayo so that they are not asaulted can understand that people from Mexico have a moral right to imigrate here ,part of their ancestral homeland ,why can't you? Please answer this because I realy want to know.Like I said your atittude just realy bothers me.
                          Alice

Comment

The language is Spanish, not Mexican, btw.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by alice
                              Kimo,I'm sorry but I just can't let this go. Your atittude realy bugs me.Asians in the past several years have been targeted by Mexicans for racial abuse such as having to be placed in protective custody in prisons because Asian males have been"green lighted" and Asian kids,like black kids, now have to stay home from school on cinco de mayo so that they are not asaulted can understand that people from Mexico have a moral right to imigrate here ,part of their ancestral homeland ,why can't you? Please answer this because I realy want to know.Like I said your atittude just realy bothers me.
                              Alice

Alice, can you elaborate further? I am not Kimo but I am trying to understand what exactly is bugging you, and also what your point is regarding immigration.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X