Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A solution to the Illegal Immigration "Problem"

Originally posted by Pedro
    You obviously don't know too many on a personal level.
    Alice
    Really? I guess that make's me just as ignorant too, darn but I am learning so that's good. Feed me more info please [/QUOTE]

You have a Spanish name, are you Filipino,or are you the dreaded Mex.LOL.Don't call yourself ignorant ,most people here on the mainland kinda sorta just lump you in with the Latin groups,including alot of the filipinos themselves.I think that helps you fit in more than other Asian groups.You're sorta like the Portugese in Hawaii,hehe.Thats unersanable because everyone wants to "belong" I guess.
    P.S. ARE YOU CUTE,HEHE.I met some Flips in Hawaii,they thought I was a model.
    Alice

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      As part of the "minority", I just hope that when we become the majority that we don't hold grudges against the people who have claimed majority status in the US for so long and that we remember to treat them with kindness.

Miulang
      "You" are not part of any new majority.Besides which the founders of this country treat you better than what your people are willing to do for anyone else.The same door your people walk out of to enjoy the fruits of everyone ellse land and labor you slam shut in the face of those same peoples when they need,and you are capable of providing,a place to go.Just no way to pretty that up.
      Alice

Comment

Originally posted by alice
        "You" are not part of any new majority.Besides which the founders of this country treat you better than what your people are willing to do for anyone else.The same door your people walk out of to enjoy the fruits of everyone ellse land and labor you slam shut in the face of those same peoples when they need,and you are capable of providing,a place to go.Just no way to pretty that up.
        Alice
        I don't think so. Being in the minority on the Mainland sucks, just like it sucks being a caucasian in Hawai'i sucks. And what you're saying, Alice, doesn't make sense. You sound like you're a little conflicted about being who you are. Who do you think "my" people are, anyway?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Peeps in the room.

Looks left and right.

Holds an American Flag.

Waves it in the air!

Hello? Hello?

Hmmm...guess this ain't Wonderland!

Wrong Thread. NOT!

Carry on.

Auntie pUpUle
          Last edited by 1stwahine; May 12, 2006, 03:09 PM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            I don't think so. Being in the minority on the Mainland sucks, just like it sucks being a caucasian in Hawai'i sucks. And what you're saying, Alice, doesn't make sense. You sound like you're a little conflicted about being who you are. Who do you think "my" people are, anyway?

Miulang
            Not conflicted at all.Just who I am and proud of it .You have stated clearly in other threads that your people hail from one of those wealthy east Asian countries that have sent out so many millions of people but now keep doors tightly closed to all outsiders.That is just not right.This issue of immigration and Mexicans is such a hot potato topic in my own family and I;m usualy on the other side of the fence than everyone else.
            Me ,again

Comment

Not conflicted at all.Just who I am and proud of it .You have stated clearly in other threads that your people hail from one of those wealthy east Asian countries that have sent out so many millions of people but now keep doors tightly closed to all outsiders.That is just not right.This issue of immigration and Mexicans is such a hot potato topic in my own family and I;m usualy on the other side of the fence than everyone else.
              Me ,again
              Nope. My family in the "old country" came from a long line of farmers, far from being wealthy. They came to Hawai'i as sugar plantation workers and managed to give their kids good educations and aspirations for living a better life, which is what many immigrant families today are hoping for too.

I'm not talking about Mexicans, YOU are talking about Mexicans. I have never said anything about Mexicans. People of Latin or Hispanic extraction can be, as you noted, not Mexican. With the exception of the First Nation people (the Ndns and the kanaka maoli) ALL the rest of us who live in this country came from immigrant families. And most of our families emigrated legally and withstood all kinds of discrimination and harrassment from the white majority. My only hope is when the non-white population becomes the majority that we remember what our families went through and treat everyone with kindness rather than try to wreak revenge on people whose only transgression was being born into their family.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

In the end we are all American's. Every single one of us who descends from a line of people that dreamt for something better for themselves and their families. They are all Americans, and they all deserve a shot at success. Instead of rejecting them we should be taking them in with open arms. We should foster their drive for a better life and allow them to contribute to the future success of this country.

Comment

Originally posted by haole_pupule
                  In the end we are all American's. Every single one of us who descends from a line of people that dreamt for something better for themselves and their families. They are all Americans, and they all deserve a shot at success. Instead of rejecting them we should be taking them in with open arms. We should foster their drive for a better life and allow them to contribute to the future success of this country.
                  Amen to that!

Eh, I like your name!

Auntie pUpUle
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If that is you in the photo ,you "look" like a blonde mexican.Are you part or part "native"indian .Because you are from Hawaii it's hard to tell.
                    Alice
                    Cherokee/Swedish/Scottish

My sisters look like my mom (Indian, not "ndn").
                    My brother and I look like our Viking dad!

It's funny to see how the phenotype reflects the genotype. My mom has somewhat Asian-looking eyes, and often is mistaken for an Asian -- by Asians! When she was in Japan, people thought she was part Japanese.

My oldest sister's daughter also looks like an Indian (or Asian); her son looks like a western European. My brother's kids are blonde and fairskinned.

Actually, I'm originally from the Seattle area. Plenty Indians there!

Comment

I guess it would be an exercise in repetition to state my ethnicities....

Broken laws are what make this issue contentious.
                      Broken immigration policies exacerbate the problem.

In the end it all comes down to money (I know... kind of pithy, but true)

Jewlipino

Comment

I would suggest that the solution to illegal immigration lies south of the border in Mexico itself. The attraction of the United States is that we have opportunities that people do not have in Mexico. My problem is that the government of Mexico is failing to create opportunities for their own people. I don't see too many people calling for a wall to be built on the Canadian border, largely because Canada is a modern democratic country who provides for their citizens (my friend in Canada jokes that they want to build a wall to keep out the Americans who come over to buy cheaper medication). Of course Mexico has a history of corruption so I am not optimistic that things will change here so the flow of illegal migrants will continue no matter what.

Comment

Feds award Boeing $67 million contract for ‘virtual fence’ on Mexican border
                          Wow... unmmaned airplanes and all!
                          The contract, which calls for cameras, sensors and even unmanned planes, is the first part of a multibillion-dollar government plan designed to reduce illegal entry along the 6,000 miles of the Canadian and Mexican borders.
                          http://www.bellinghamherald.com/apps.../NEWS/60921005

Comment

Thanks for that link, mānoa. There are so many fence-pushers in this country (I myself think the idea has its merits), that I was curious how the core proponents would make their idea a reality. Great story, WA boy. Kind of amazing you posted it first. Maddie getting kind of rusty, I guess. We’ll see if the Hawai‘i media picks up on it anyhow.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Wonder how this is supposed to stop people from illegally entering the country, though? Are the planes going to drop dye bombs so the federales at the border can pick the illegal immigrants out of a crowd later on? Gonna zap 'em with lasers? Tracking them isn't going to stop them from trying to enter the country. Some stretches of that border are totally unmanned for miles, and it would take awhile for any authority to get to the scene to apprehend them.

Making it more lucrative for illegal aliens to stay in their own countries and have a decent standard of living is what's going to slow down the numbers of illegal immigrants. Also, if they are caught, they need to be extradited back to their home countries immediately, not held in detention for months at a time.

Miulang

Comment

Wonder how this is supposed to stop people from illegally entering the country, though? Are the planes going to drop dye bombs so the federales at the border can pick the illegal immigrants out of a crowd later on? Gonna zap 'em with lasers? Tracking them isn't going to stop them from trying to enter the country. Some stretches of that border are totally unmanned for miles, and it would take awhile for any authority to get to the scene to apprehend them.

Making it more lucrative for illegal aliens to stay in their own countries and have a decent standard of living is what's going to slow down the numbers of illegal immigrants. Also, if they are caught, they need to be extradited back to their home countries immediately, not held in detention for months at a time. I think this is one more government boondoggle rather than a real aid to preventing illegal aliens from entering the country.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X