X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Five Years after 9/11/01

Originally posted by tikiyaki
    Well...the rage he feels is understandable
    Sure - rage towards the terrorists is understandable, but his "apologists are scumbags" comment is a not-so-thinly veiled jab at HT posters who disagree with his points of view.

Comment

Shucks Leo...you ought to know me by now. I was gonna name names, but chose to seek higher ground for fear that I might have forgotten somebody.

There is no question in my mind that maniacal rage is the essence of my memories of 9/11. Damn lucky for everybody that I'm not the President. Cuz all "tinydick" trucks, and "SoccerMom" cars would be against the law in America, Auto mfgs would get GIGANTIC YEAR ON YEAR TOTALLY TAX FREE PROFITS for alt. fuel vehicles for at least 10 years, oil companies would get 100% tax free profits on all solar investment and sales for 10 years, and there would not be one single drop of oil flowing out of the Arab region to any country ANYWHERE. I would lock 'em down with F-18's & Apaches, and carpet bomb the infrastructures till it looked like one big, glass coffee table.

To Muslims - If you don't police yourselves, among yourselves, I WILL do it for you.

Period.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        Sure - rage towards the terrorists is understandable, but his "apologists are scumbags" comment is a not-so-thinly veiled jab at HT posters who disagree with his points of view.

Well, I suppose that would depend on his definition of "apologist"
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
          Shucks Leo...you ought to know me by now. I was gonna name names, but chose to seek higher ground for fear that I might have forgotten somebody.

There is no question in my mind that maniacal rage is the essence of my memories of 9/11. Damn lucky for everybody that I'm not the President. Cuz all "tinydick" trucks, and "SoccerMom" cars would be against the law in America, Auto mfgs would get GIGANTIC YEAR ON YEAR TOTALLY TAX FREE PROFITS for alt. fuel vehicles for at least 10 years, oil companies would get 100% tax free profits on all solar investment and sales for 10 years, and there would not be one single drop of oil flowing out of the Arab region to any country ANYWHERE. I would lock 'em down with F-18's & Apaches, and carpet bomb the infrastructures till it looked like one big, glass coffee table.

To Muslims - If you don't police yourselves, among yourselves, I WILL do it for you.

Period.
          Well, I for one agree on the "tinydick trucks"...aka HUMMERS...I also agree with your alt fuel incentives. The fact that there is SO little done to change our dependency on foreign oil and explore alt fuels is just insane to me. I've decided that my next car is going to be a late 70's early 80's diesel mercedes with a vegetable oil conversion kit. so I can run my car on vegetable oil. Being that there are very few alternatives, using a vegetable oil conversion is a great way to remove my dependence on foreign oil. It's a small step, but it's something.

I agree on the solar thing too...One thing we have plenty of here in SoCal is SUN.

Comment

Period.
            I dunno about anyone else, but I'm sleeping better tonight, knowing Sheriff Tim is in the house!

(Tim - you know I respect you, even though we disagree on a lot of political issues. I get the same vibe back from you. I just want it to be clear that everyone else reading here knows that; Tim and I can take pot-shots at each other, but we are in no way "enemies," and if the opportunity ever arises, we will toast our disagreements with frosty fermented beverages.)

Comment

Leo would be my first choice for Vice President.
              Kamuelakea is Sec of Defense.
              Manoa is Sec of Education.
              Auntie Lynn is Social Director.
              Maddie is Press Secretary.
              Kimo is in charge of the beer coolers.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Kamuelakea is Sec of Defense.
                Manoa is Sec of Education.
                Auntie Lynn is Social Director.
                Maddie is Press Secretary.
                Kimo is in charge of the beer coolers.
                oh great blame me for the Education I'd much rather trade with Kimo!
                Last edited by damontucker; August 30, 2006, 01:33 PM.

Comment

That would be a first in a presidency...a yin AND yang....maybe it would present a balance instead of what we have now....which is all of one and none of the other.

Comment

Cuz all "tinydick" trucks, and "SoccerMom" cars would be against the law in America, Auto mfgs would get GIGANTIC YEAR ON YEAR TOTALLY TAX FREE PROFITS for alt. fuel vehicles for at least 10 years, oil companies would get 100% tax free profits on all solar investment and sales for 10 years
                    I'm 100% with you on this one. WTH are we sending our people over there to die, then turning right around and supplying the people they're fighting with a massive income? It seems like one of the most patriotic things we could be doing right now is reducing our dependence on foreign energy. Once we've fixed ourselves, turn around and sell the technology cheaply to our neighbors and friends. We've got a LOT of smart people in this country and when they have something to light a fire under them they usually get awfully resourceful. What would the world look like now if we'd heeded the call back in the 70s to really get this process going? How about if we use some of this massive computing power/software smarts at our fingertips to devise a logistics system to avoid shipping everyone's food from Ohio? There's so much energy-eating slack there it's mind-boggling. And for once the hard core liberals and hard core conservatives seem like they could all get behind that -- less pollution and drilling, better national defense.

To stay on topic for the thread, I was belatedly finishing college in Texas then. I think our first impression (roomates and friends who were over) was that some foreign country had attacked us. I have a (sometimes unfortunate) tendency to put myself in other people's places when I see something like that, and it took me several days to get myself back on track mentally. To try to put it into words the best I can, I'm imagining what a cave man would feel/think when he saw a gun in action for the first time. It takes some rearranging of one's picture of reality to take into account two skyscrapers falling down like that, 'cause it just doesn't happen.

Comment

Hey tiki, I been trying to convince you people that I am the first RepubliCRAT of all time.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I was on the way to work (I was an engineer at Lucent Technologies) that morning when I heard on my car radio about an aircraft crashing into one of the towers. As soon as I got into work I told one of my collegues that the crash was no accident and that it had to be an act of terrorism...I was sure of it!

I was involved with a major PC change-over with the IT and hardware depts that morning....it was tough to work. The company cafeteria has several teles tuned to CNN and the cafe started to fill up with our workers who stopped working to watch the horror. Eventually, I had to take the morning off to pick up my daughter at Salem State College (she was a freshman that year and freshmen weren't allowed to have vehicles on campus.) Kids in all grade levels including colleges were sent home.

At my daughter's grad ceremony it was made note of that horrible day 4 years earlier.....
                        Lovena

Comment

I was house sitting at that time. Got up at my usual time and proceded with my usual routine which included turning on the Today Show to listen to while getting ready for work. But, I heard Tom Brokaw's voice so looked at the tv out of curiosity. My brain obviously was not ready to comprehend the tragedy in progress. I thought he was doing a special report on some huge, epic movie being filmed in NY...and all those people running for their lives were extras! That is honestly what I thought. So, I sat down to watch for awhile, especially intrigued by all of the 'special effects' going on in the background. Then...it hit. Like a ton of bricks. So did the adrenaline. I finally realized I was watching a horrible piece of history in the making. Even after 5 years it still seems like yesterday.

I was afraid to go to my office because it's a block from the federal building. I had a casting session scheduled for 9/12...all toddlers. After several conversations with my clients we decided to go ahead with the session. The children were a respite from the stress of reality. I always ask little ones what they want to be when they grow up because their answers can be so funny. One little boy, just 3 years old, put his hands on his hips and very proudly announced..."I wanna be a MAN."!!! We all laughed because he was just so cute. Then he left the studio...and we all cried because we realized his dream could easily not become a reality. A dream so simple...to grow up...had been compromised.

And, Lei Liko...your story of 9/11 and 12 really touched me. What an incredibly difficult time that was for you.

Comment

Excuse me. Can everyone please remember to please Fly Old Glory on September 11, 2006?!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hey tiki, I been trying to convince you people that I am the first RepubliCRAT of all time.
                              Chris Rock of all people made a very interesting and poignant comment on this topic that really made sense to me. On the subject of Democrats and Republicans he said " Anybody that makes up their minds about what side they're on BEFORE they've even heard this issues is F$&Kin Stupid" - It's paraphrased , but that's the gist.

I have to agree, and will add that there are good and bad things about both parties, so I just call myself Independent, and leave it at that.

Comment

Living in Redding, Ca. at the time. Woke up to the news. Had to be in Burney Falls that morning and I cancelled glued to the TV.

When the plane went down in Pennsylvania, the info coming out was sketchy but by late afternoon it became apparent that there was an insurgence of sorts on the plane. I cheered and was saddened when I learned I knew one of the heros. Was playing rugby at the time and Mark Bingham just formed a new team in the Bay Area primarily manned by gays. Mark was a tremendous rugby player, played for Cal in college, and it pissed me off that the media was playing the gay card so soon after his death.

Two weeks later, our team played Mark's team in memory of Mark. We killed them but the drinkup afterwards was memorable. Everyone had something good to say about Mark and it is a sight to see rough and tumble rugby players looking for inspiration on the tops of their shoes, versus "who can drink the most" and "sing the lewdest of songs" banter which is atypical.

Mark was a warrior, he died with his boots on, I wish I knew him a little better.
                                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Working...
                                X