Jury awards $11.3 M over defamatory Internet posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury awards $11.3 M over defamatory Internet posts

A Florida woman has been awarded $11.3 million in a defamation lawsuit against a Louisiana woman who posted messages on the Internet accusing her of being a "crook," a "con artist" and a "fraud."

Legal analysts say the Sept. 19 award by a jury in Broward County, Fla. — first reported Friday by the Daily Business Review — represents the largest such judgment over postings on an Internet blog or message board. Lyrissa Lidsky, a University of Florida law professor who specializes in free-speech issues, calls the award "astonishing."
    Read the rest here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ion-case_x.htm

Ya'll need to be nicer to each other up in here!
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: Jury awards $11.3 M over defamatory Internet posts

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
    Ya'll need to be nicer to each other up in here!
    Whatever one writes on the Internet is Forever on Record unless it gets lost in Cyber Space!

Das why I always write da TRUTH!

aUNTIE puPule.com
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If someone gets hurt THAT MUCH over what's posted on the Internet, then it's not $11.3M she needs.

That lady needs help. The fact that this woman KNEW the other couldn't pay/attend anything, but did it for "the principle of the thing" is just

And the judge that awarded her that money should be re-examined as well because he obviously lacks any common sense.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
        If someone gets hurt THAT MUCH over what's posted on the Internet, then it's not $11.3M she needs.

That lady needs help. The fact that this woman KNEW the other couldn't pay/attend anything, but did it for "the principle of the thing" is just

And the judge that awarded her that money should be re-examined as well because he obviously lacks any common sense.
        Yeah....da FOOLS! Ooops. We betta watch wat we say Lei Liko. Bumby dey come afta us.

NOT!

Den again...I no moa nuttin except "Leimomi!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

aUNTIE PuPule.com

Comment

It's about time... I don't think a lot of people understand that what is posted to the internet is, in effect, "publishing" and is held to the same libel standards as regular print publications.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
            It's about time... I don't think a lot of people understand that what is posted to the internet is, in effect, "publishing" and is held to the same libel standards as regular print publications.
            I guess everybody taking a break tonight cause the Boards are quiet.

Wea's everybody?

Hellooooo?

Good night.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
              Reading through the USA Today article, it seems there was enough at stake that made at a unique case.

Here one woman is providing a valuable service to another woman, and gets rewarded with defamatory statements that could easily affect her business. Without knowing the details of the case, the question then becomes, why did the moderator/administrator not step in?

I’m thankful we have an administrator with a team of moderators on this board that can and do step in before things degenerate to the point of a lawsuit.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
              X