X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zovo
    replied
    Re: The Shrinking Arctic Ice Cap

Oddly enough, the whole crisis of Global Warming is a very Euro/Ameri-centric problem. many climate models show that, while yes Global Warming could be problematic for places like the United States, it could also bring increased rainfall and longer growing seasons to some of thr dryest, most impoverished places on earth.

And to that the fact that hundreds of times more deaths are reported every year as a result of cold weather as opposed to heat related deaths; the fact that melting arctic sea ice will not raise sea levels anywhere (because it is floating and there-by displaced already); and, as was already mentioned, the issue of virgin resources in both the Arctic and Antarctic circles as well as new shipping lanes helping to establish more amicable ties between historically rival nations, etc. . .

Indeed, while the US and Europe may be in for hard times, there is definitely some lemonade to made here.

Leave a comment:

• AlohaKine
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Well with the ice caps melting wasn't there a story somewhere in the news talking about how one of the northern shipping routes was ice free for the first time in history allowing ships to sail above instead of thru the Panama Canal...or something like that.
    That's true also. You won't here the environmental groups mention it however. Check out the greenpeace website for example.

http://www.greenpeace.org/internatio...change/impacts

Wow, nothing positive to say. Make sure to slam "Big Oil". George Bush is the enemy, of course in their minds. I'm not saying everything they say is false, but the bias is clear.

There's a "stop smoking" subsection on the site that got Alohakine here concerned for a minute. Thankfully they were talking about smokestacks not ciggies.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

So if you bottle the melting glaciers and sell it to thirsty nations, and open up the Norhtwest passage...what's the problem? I see lemon aide here while some see lemons. You could tow melting ice caps thru the Northwest passage and into drought stricken nations. If we can move the Brooklyn Bridge...

Leave a comment:

• TATTRAT
    replied

The norhtwest passage.

But with that comes the battle for "ownage". Canada is sitting on a gold mine. The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, so this is pretty easy to figure out.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Well with the ice caps melting wasn't there a story somewhere in the news talking about how one of the northern shipping routes was ice free for the first time in history allowing ships to sail above instead of thru the Panama Canal...or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• AlohaKine
    replied

Not everything about global warming is bad. Like a longer, better growing season for Russian, Alaskan, and Canadian Farmers. And what about Greenland, if that ice cap goes away think of the potential to get at loads of virgin mineral resources. The people of Greenland could get rich.

Leave a comment:

• akrauth
    replied

That's good advice! Mahalo nui.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
    Aloha mai kakou,

I recently heard on the news that "there in the Arctic," the ice cap is shrinking. I was wondering if anybody out there has an opinion on how we can all kokua.

Mahalo nui loa!
    With all this fuss about bottled water the best way we can help the rising tide is to start bottling up all this melting prehistoric water and start drinking it like there's no tomorrow!

We can call it Global Warming delite cuz we even bottle the greenhouse gas Co2 to give it a bit of fizz.

See solve two problems and make a fantastic soft drink to boot! Oh and HI-5 the bottle...we gotta keep saving the Earth.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; October 21, 2007, 12:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• akrauth
    replied

I just wanted to say e kala mai to the admin. For those of you who don't know your Hawaiian music, "aia i 'Alika" is the first line of the Auntie Genoa Keawe song "'Alika" and translates as "there in the Arctic," which is why I put those words in quotes in my message. I know why the subject got changed. It's because some people wouldn't know what it meant and wouldn't understand why I thought it made sense. My feelings are not hurt.

A hui hou kakou!

Leave a comment:

• akrauth
    started a topic The Shrinking Arctic Ice Cap

The Shrinking Arctic Ice Cap

Aloha mai kakou,

I recently heard on the news that "there in the Arctic," the ice cap is shrinking. I was wondering if anybody out there has an opinion on how we can all kokua.

Mahalo nui loa!
Working...
X