Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Hurricane is Coming, Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matapule
    replied
    Re: A Hurricane is Coming, Should I Stay or Should I Go?

To evaculate or not to evaculate is the age old question. If you study historical trends, self evaculation is always preferable to no evaculation. It is not necessary to pay anyone for assistance with evaculation. You can do it yourself or the neighbor next door would be willing to assist for tips. What's most important is to have an evaculation plan posted in a prominent location and you must be ready for evaculation even with the lights out because you never know when your utilities might be down. So go ahead, hop in the car, and evaculate if in doubt.

Now with regards to tsunamis, you must be ready to evaculate at the beach too. I suggest that you practice self evaculation in the water. You never know when that big wave might come and there be no time for evaculation.

It reminds me of my neighbor, a nice Japanese man who still has a thick accent. He came over to my house and said, "Matapule, I ha' problem with erection evr'y fo' yer. Don' know wha to do." I said, "This has been going on for four years? If you have an erection lasting over 4 hours you need to seek medical attention. I said, "Do you have an evaculation plan?" He said, "Oh Matapule, first I worry 'bout President erection, then I worry 'bout evacuration!"

BOING!

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    It would have been wise to pull out early then get frustrated by an investment bank.
    In Tonga, the word for birth control was "fusi ki tu'a." Literally translated it means, "PULL IT OUT!" I was always amused by saying that word.

Leave a comment:

• sophielynette
    replied

I think one of the issues with hurricanes is the fact that some places get them so frequently that people become used to them. My dad lives on the Gulf of Mexico and I know he gets hit by at least two or three hurricanes a year, and in most instances he does just batten down the hatches and wait it out. And most of the time that's fine, most of them don't do enough damage to warrant leaving. If you don't have family to stay with, or you have a big family of your own, evacuation can be difficult and costly. Imagine having to do that three or four times every hurricane season. So the question becomes, is this next storm going to be worth it to leave? It seems like such a simple question -- is the life of yourself or your loved ones worth it? -- but it's not such a cut and dry issue.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    "Evaculate"? Maybe they're worried that if they beat it they'll be accused of premature evaculation. [/rimshot]

I. Could. NOT. Resist.
    I thought it was substantial penalties for early withdrawals. It would have been wise to pull out early then get frustrated by an investment bank.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Why do some people still think they can beat a hurricane and not evaculate?
    "Evaculate"? Maybe they're worried that if they beat it they'll be accused of premature evaculation. [/rimshot]

I. Could. NOT. Resist.

Leave a comment:

• Amati
    replied

I was on Maui during Iwa, and the National Guard kicked in to help. What would we do now, our National Guard is off fighting a war and not home to help!?

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    started a topic A Hurricane is Coming, Should I Stay or Should I Go?

A Hurricane is Coming, Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Why do some people still think they can beat a hurricane and not evaculate? I lived on Kauai when Hurricane Iwa hit Kauai in '82, and fortunate to be on Oahu when Hurricane Iniki striked in '92. We have no choice in Hawaii to wait a hurricane out, because there's nowhere else to go.
Working...
X