"Must do before I die" list.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Must do before I die" list.

Now that I've done the cross-country thing (for the most part), I can cross that off my list. Still want to do 66, though.

Return to the Philippines -- visit my mom's hometown again and also meet relatives from my dad's adopted family.

Run with the bulls.

Get one final tattoo.

Serve my sorority at the international level.

Ride an elephant.

Learn how to drive stick.

Learn how to play the guitar. The piano and cello I've already accomplished.

Be on a game show.

Get over my fear of clowns. (Remind me to tell you guys about how the EMTs in Chicago had to help me after passing out at the Art Institute)

Meet Oprah.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
      [...]Get over my fear of clowns.[...]
      You're not alone! Several years ago I bought a 'clown' upright vacuum cleaner cover that was to do double duty. Beside the obvious it would also function as something small children could relate to during a casting session. The vacuum impaled clown was set right next to the camera and children were directed to talk to the clown!

Because of my lengthy crush on Bozo the Clown a fear of clowns never occurred to me. Sure 'nuff, during my clown's first day on the casting job, a child came in who was terrified of anything related to Bozo...even cloth ones! Fortunately, I mentioned the clown to all the children prior to bringing them into the studio. One mom, without hesitation, told me of her child's fear. Thank goodness!!! The last thing I wanted to do was terrorize a child for life with a vacuum cleaner cover.

So, Lei, tell us about the EMTs!

Comment

accumalate a perfect undefeated boxing record of at least 10 - 0 and to

over-come all my fears.
        Ebb And Flow

Comment

1. Visit all 50 US states. I've got 10 to go to complete the list. I once was within a tenth of a mile of being in Colorado, and perhaps 1 mile from being in Delaware, (both states I've yet to visit) and I'm still kicking myself for not going the short distances to cross into them.

2. Visit Guam, American Samoa, and the US Virgin Islands. (Many of you might not know this, but I farm in Puerto Rico during winter months) While in Guam, I may as well visit the CNMI.

2. Visit Cimmaron County, Oklahoma. Cimmaron County is the only county in the USA that has state boundaries with 4 other states (Colorado, Kansas, Texas, and New Mexico). I've always had a thing for being able to cross into different states in a relatively short period of time, and one can certainly do that in Cimmaron County. That being said, the next on the list is a must for me.

3. Stand on the Four Corner Point Medallion that marks the intersection of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah.

4. Run (what is usually, depending on how many Chicago lets into its own marathon) the world's largest marathon: the London Marathon.

5. Run the Comrades Marathon in South Africa. My ultimate dream run.

6. Organize a 5K to 10K road race for charity. I've always wondered if I could accept the challange of successfully managing a road race, in which all of the runners' needs (as well as the needs and concerns of the residents who live along the race route) have been satisfied. It by no means is an easy task.

7. Experience, if the fates have it in store for me, the joy of being in love with a woman who I could share my every hope and dream with.

8. Live, once again, where the marathon of life began for me: Ka'u. I'll raise Ka'u oranges down there as my final contribution to the ag industry.

Comment

What a great list.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Fly First Class.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                3. Stand on the Four Corner Point Medallion that marks the intersection of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah.
                I've seen indications that the medallion isn't at the true 4 corners. Might want to get a GPS and find the real one.

But, quite a list there.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                  Fly First Class.
                  Oh, it's nice! I managed to get a free upgrade once. The foot rest is my best memory. That and the flight attendant addressing you by name.

Comment

1. Visit all 50 US states. I've got 10 to go to complete the list. I once was within a tenth of a mile of being in Colorado, and perhaps 1 mile from being in Delaware, (both states I've yet to visit) and I'm still kicking myself for not going the short distances to cross into them.
                    At the risk of going briefly off-t, may I ask which ones remain for you?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      I've seen indications that the medallion isn't at the true 4 corners. Might want to get a GPS and find the real one.

But, quite a list there.
                      I've stood at the Idaho/Nevada border. A big sign says now leaving Idaho while the backside of that very sign says now leaving Nevada. Straddled that sign and was in two states at once.

What a weird feeling to be taxed on one side while the other side was tax free. Almost like stripping down to your underwear and not going all the way
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        At the risk of going briefly off-t, may I ask which ones remain for you?
                        The Final 10 for me:

Washington (was fairly close to it while visiting British Columbia)
                        Oregon
                        Idaho
                        Montana
                        Kansas
                        Oklahoma
                        Colorado
                        Maryland (I should have had this one long ago)
                        Delaware (This one too)
                        Alaska

Comment

Washington (was fairly close to it while visiting British Columbia)
                          Oregon
                          Idaho
                          Montana
                          Thanks for answering.

You should be able to knock these four off in one barely-a-week-long trip. Think about visiting us in WA someday - and it's an easy spin through the other three. You can sail through ID on the way to Glacier National Park in MT.

Just something to plug into your future plans, Randy.

Comment

The Final 10 for me:
                            Road trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Think about visiting us in WA someday.
                              I intend on visiting Seattle someday during a future summer because, well, according to a local TV station, here in RI, Seattle is the place to be during the summer.

Let me explain. There are three out of town weather "events" that seem to reported on every year on newscasts from WJAR Channel 10 (NBC) Providence. Every year at Christmas, just about the time when Old Man Winter is starting to get serious about his season, there will be a general interest news report from Bondi Beach in Australia, showcasing Christmas revelers, soaking up the sun in their swimwear with cool drinks in hand...kind of a "While you're freezing your okole off here in New England, there are some lucky souls in this world enjoying tropical weather elsewhere" story...a friendly jab in the ribs kind of story.

Then usually around New Year's Day, with the New England weather getting even colder, their will be another similar report that is sure to stir up envy among the sun-starved, except this time, an American beach (with sun lovers in skimpy swimwear) is usually showcased; I've seen Waikiki Beach and Venice Beach (in the LA Metro area) shown in the past. (I don't get too pestered by these reports, since I'm usually in the tropics shortly after New Year's Day.)

And then, usually around this time of year, when just about everywhere in the USA is baking from heat and humidity, there will be the annual report from Seattle. (Usually from a park with a spectacular view of downtown Seattle and Mount Rainier in the distance) The intended message of the Seattle report is to showcase the perfect summer weather that those lucky enough to be in Seattle are enjoying..the mid 70s temps, the low humidity, the clear blue skies...while just about everyone else is dealing with upper 90s and sauna-like conditions. I will admit I have, on occasion, wished I was in Seattle, after seeing those reports in the past.

I'm often in the tropics when those who want to be in them can't be. That's kind of fun. But I've never been out of the annual summer heats waves and gone on a "reverse migration" from the sun, like those who are lucky enough to travel to the Pac NW and Alaska do in order to escape the heat and humidity found just about everywhere else.

I hope one day to make the reverse migration to Seattle during the summer. I admit, it would be kind of neat to be in Seattle's sublime weather, when the rest of the nation is steaming. Kind of like the reverse of visiting Aruba in January. I sure as heck hope though that the Seattle area isn't in a heat-wave of its own during the time I visit there; I know the Seattle area does occasionally get excessively warm in summer.

BTW, I did happen to watch quite a bit of Red Sox-Mariners series over the past weekend. Seattle looked especially lovely on Sunday...that was some air show you guys must of had, yeah?

Comment

And then, usually around this time of year, when just about everywhere in the USA is baking from heat and humidity, there will be the annual report from Seattle. (Usually from a park with a spectacular view of downtown Seattle and Mount Rainier in the distance)
                                That particular vantage point is on the south side of Queen Anne Hill called Kerry Park. And yes, the views up there are spectacular, especially when "The Mountain" (Mt. Rainier) is visible.

This past weekend was the culmination of a month-long summer celebration called SeaFair. During this month, all of the different little communities that make up Seattle have their own little festivals and parades. The season actually starts in May with a street fair in the University District, and then progresses on to other famous fairs like the Fremont Solstice Parade (you have to be there to believe it...we even have nude bicycle riders!), the Bite of Seattle, the Green Lake Milk Carton races, a native American powwow, a couple of Filipino festivals, and then this past weekend, the SeaFair torchlight parade and the hydroraces and Blue Angels airshow on Lake Washington. The last official event of the summer is Bumbershoot over Labor Day weekend.

At one of this weekend's Mariner/Red Sox games, our Mariner Moose almost ran over Cocoa Crisp (the Red Sox pitcher).

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X