Hānaiāhuhu - Family Pets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hānaiāhuhu - Family Pets!

3 cats here, Little Vicioius (she's great with people but a terror with other cats), Son!dra, and Fubu--she might be the most intelligent cat I have ever met. Son!dra & Fubu are sisters, adopted from a friend who moved to the Big Island while the super stringent quarantine was in effect. They are wonderful cats, all of them...they bound down the stairs with big kitty smiles on their faces whenever I get home. Also had a Gray Cat (that was her name...real imaginative here!) who lived to be 21. She was GREAT!!! Just the perfect cat, beautiful, loving, sweet, cute...she was, however, quite jealous. We temporarily adopted a small black kitten that wandered into the yard, she was so enraged she chased her own mother up the apricot tree! The funny part is that she had a sister who looked just like Son!dra, and a mom who looked just like Fubu...both the mom and the sister had passed away a few months before Fubu and Son!dra came into our lives. So...the Gray Cat always mistook Son!dra for her sister Torts and mistook Fubu for her mom, Smoke, and she got along with them fine...even though she was so jealous. Tis summer now, the boys keep calling on our girls...leaving their little scented calling cards, and howling, at 3 am, of their affection. We do love cats--how can you not?

Comment

great story kalalau!

turtlegirl: her name is **star**. she's big (well, used to be), fluffy and very intelligent, too. so today, we learned how to hydrate her by using an iv. as i wrote in another thread, thank goodness it's only once a day for four days. she's also being given an appetite stimulant. no problem doing that. i just can't let her go and if this is part of comfort care, then so be it. she's not suffering at the moment so she didn't have to be put down.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Jumping on the bandwagon, this is Chloe

Kani-lehua, best of luck with Star. My heart goes out to you.
        "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
        Socrates.

Comment

Kani-lehua, I'm so sorry about your kitty. I had two cats that had chronic renal failure. I also had to administer subQ fluid treatments and appetite enhancers. She didn't last very long, but every cat is different. Some live for years... you have to experiment with proper diet, meds, fluids. It's so frustrating and emotional. Good luck to you.

Comment

bob p: thank you and what a lovely little cutie you got there!

sharilyn: thank you, too! the hydration treatment isn't going as planned. it makes my fur baby VERY uncomfortable and she starts moving around and has scratched me with her hind paws/nails. yikes! we will do it again tonight.

we had one cat die from just plain old age and another from kidney cancer. cats seem to have (the older ones) lots of kidney problems? well, that's according to the vet.
            "chaos reigns within.
            order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
              sharilyn: thank you, too! the hydration treatment isn't going as planned. it makes my fur baby VERY uncomfortable and she starts moving around and has scratched me with her hind paws/nails. yikes! we will do it again tonight.
              My husband helped by holding her, and I did the injection, etc. She didn't fight us, probably because we did it in the bathroom with the door closed. We figured that if she didn't have an escape route, she wouldn't struggle so much.

Unfortunately, she didn't do well with the subQs, nor with the meds or special diet. We even force fed her. We eventually put her to sleep after about six weeks.

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
              we had one cat die from just plain old age and another from kidney cancer. cats seem to have (the older ones) lots of kidney problems? well, that's according to the vet.
              My vet said there are more cases of renal failure now that in the past. I've read that it's the ingredients in commercial food. They say a premium grade can food is the best. My cats love dry food better, tho.

Comment

sharilyn: she and two of the other cats were on iams. we switched to science diet (renal) because one of them was getting urinary tract infections? now, star, barely eats anything even wet food. we are still hydrating her and doing it in the bathroom. last night was much better now that we all got the hang of it. she's still drinking lots of water but only if i run the spigot in the shower. i don't think she'll last long. i just feel better that at least we gave it a try to help her.
                "chaos reigns within.
                order shall return."

Comment

I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating it is when your cat won't eat! You are trying your best, that is all anyone can do. 20 years is a nice age for a cat! You must be doing something right.

Comment

we're trying and getting better at the hydration.

must be all the love my furries get?! our oldest dog is 18 and another died when she was 16. the other 3 dogs are app. 7-8 yrs. old and the other 3 cats? don't know? all of our furries are adopted.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    order shall return."

Comment

Working...
                    X