Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you pass down what your parents said to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will you pass down what your parents said to you?

Well, yes, sort of, I have. When I was growing up my father was so strict and so overly protective of all my brothers and sisters, six of us and I have six kids now.

The answer was always "no, you cannot go". I couldn't go out to play, no phone calls or have friends come over to da house. No dances, no going to the movies, no no no! I didn't have any freedom, as far as going out to play. I was sad and cried all the time, I had to stay in the house, while I watch my friends play and have a good time outside my bedroom window.

I left home at the age of 29, I'm 50 now. My dad did not want any of us to move out when we became adults and we did not have his blessings when we left home. He always wanted us home with him all the time.

Amyway, when it comes to my kids, I am the same way, except they can play with their friends, but they are not to go over anybody's houses. They're friends are welcome to play at my house and that's about it. I don't feel right when they're away from home, or at somebody's house. Something could happen to them and of course I'd blame myself. So I guess my father felt the same way too. I need to keep an eye on them at all times, it's so dangerous these days out in the streets, you never know what can happen.

They have a computer, lots of computer games and a basketball goal, TV and a dvd/vcr player in there rooms, they're allowed to play outside as long as they don't leave the yard. I say "no" alot of times and I'm glad it doesn't bother my kids as much as it bothered me growing up. THey're alot more happier than I was. At least they have lots of things to keep them busy, back in my days, there wasn't. My dad never explained why "no" was always the answer, but I can see why from my point of view as a parent. As parents we want to love our children and protected them, so I guess it was a good thing.

Now that we're all grown and have our own families, we are all close with my parents and keep in touch always.

Will you pass down what your parents said to you? Yes, in a loving and caring way.
    Faith, the evidence of things not seen, but things that are hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisheous
      Well, yes, sort of, I have. When I was growing up my father was so strict and so overly protective of all my brothers and sisters, six of us and I have six kids now.

The answer was always "no, you cannot go". I couldn't go out to play, no phone calls or have friends come over to da house. No dances, no going to the movies, no no no! I didn't have any freedom, as far as going out to play. I was sad and cried all the time, I had to stay in the house, while I watch my friends play and have a good time outside my bedroom window.

I left home at the age of 29, I'm 50 now. My dad did not want any of us to move out when we became adults and we did not have his blessings when we left home. He always wanted us home with him all the time.

Amyway, when it comes to my kids, I am the same way, except they can play with their friends, but they are not to go over anybody's houses. They're friends are welcome to play at my house and that's about it. I don't feel right when they're away from home, or at somebody's house. Something could happen to them and of course I'd blame myself. So I guess my father felt the same way too. I need to keep an eye on them at all times, it's so dangerous these days out in the streets, you never know what can happen.

They have a computer, lots of computer games and a basketball goal, TV and a dvd/vcr player in there rooms, they're allowed to play outside as long as they don't leave the yard. I say "no" alot of times and I'm glad it doesn't bother my kids as much as it bothered me growing up. THey're alot more happier than I was. At least they have lots of things to keep them busy, back in my days, there wasn't. My dad never explained why "no" was always the answer, but I can see why from my point of view as a parent. As parents we want to love our children and protected them, so I guess it was a good thing.

Now that we're all grown and have our own families, we are all close with my parents and keep in touch always.

Will you pass down what your parents said to you? Yes, in a loving and caring way.
      "I left home at the age of 29, I'm 50 now"

Come on now... you know you were pushed out of the nest!!!

Comment

I saw a Mother and her child at Foodland today....the mother was explaining coupons to her daughter... and when it came to check-out time... most of the coupons she was trying to use were expired.

The mother got frustrated and started to get irritated.... she asked the daughter if Daddy had played with the coupons.

The daughters reply was... "how come???? Did Daddy "SET YOU UP?""""

The mother said ... "yeah Daddy "SET" mommy up!!!!!"

I'm trying to remember what the 80's equivalent was to this?

Something like "passing the buck?"

Comment

And we wonder why there's no accountability or willingess to accept responsibility in our society! Because it's always easier to blame the other guy!

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not planning to have kids so I think my parent's wisdom will have to flow through my nieces and nephews. Maybe I'll feel differently when I get older, but I'm 26 and don't think I'm ready to have kids.

Comment

I'd gladly pass on what Dad told me if only I could remember them. They always came during lectures. You know, in one out da uddah. Either that or the tone of voice and language is questionable for repeating to a 6 yr. old girlie girl.

With our Melanie, I have to make up my own. She talks so much, she gets to the point of talking just to make noise. I gotta keep telling her, "It's okay to stop talking if you don't have anything to say. If you keep talking just to talk, you going end up saying something you're going to regret."...and sure enough, she'll say something insulting to a waitress and I gotta call on.....Da Magic Pinch. Mel is so funny, she'll jump off her seat about 4 feet and give croc tears. The waitress will say, "Oh, that's alright honey." Then Mel will give me side eye.

Comment

Smoot, das okay. Go play around so mo, go play. I'm fifty $)(&$^&*) with a 6 yr. old. A lot of times I think I'm just too old fo dis. Just don't wait too long.

Comment

Remember the other tune.....
                  When I was growing up, I had to do this and that and blah,blah, blah!!!!
                  NO WATT! STILL WEN WORK ON MY KIDS...
                  I WANDA IF DAY GOIN USE DA HAND ME DOWN SAYING?????
                  CAN!!!/CAN???

OGGBOY
                  bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                    Any stories out there that you are sure you will never pass down to your kids? Or a similar equivalent?
                    I can't think of any that I would never pass down. I didn't get to really know 3 out of 4 of my grandparents so I really value the things that my parents passed down to me from their parents, especially the ones I didn't get to really know. Generally, the things my parents passed down to me were supportive or helpful. Like if my grandmother (who had a hard life) was having a bad day, she would say to drink the good plantation water and know that tomorrow will come. It's a little hard to drink good plantation water for most of us these days but my mom still says that sometimes.
                    Last edited by Adri; March 16, 2006, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I just caught myself telling my son... "you gonna get lickings!"

Comment

There is not one thing I will ever pass down. No words, no nothing! EVER...I have to be careful not to in fact. I catch myself falling into that odl trap andI have to beware of mysef.
                        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                        Sharing withother survivors...
                        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Mom
                          There are only the two of you in the entire world that are brothers. You need to always look out for each other and take care of each other. Only your family will be there for you no matter what.
                          or something like that. It really stuck. I've never moved away, always stayed close to home and felt as though I need to look out for my little bro... and my mom.

I have no regrets and live a pretty nice life. My mom and brother are also in pretty good shape as well.

I'm passing that on to my daughters. The importance of family part not the heavy obligation part.

Comment

Working...
                          X