Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you pass down what your parents said to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you pass down what your parents said to you?

Any stories out there that you are sure you will never pass down to your kids? Or a similar equivalent?

Mine would be something like...

My Parents would tell me back in the days...

"Son, When I was growing up... I used to have to walk 4 miles through the snow to get to school"

Now I tell my child...

"Son, I have to drive 4 miles through honolulu traffic to get to work"

Re: Will you pass down what your parents said to you?

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    Any stories out there that you are sure you will never pass down to your kids? Or a similar equivalent?"
    "...because I said so."

I always resented hearing that when I was a kid so I never said that to my kids when they asked, "Why?"! I always gave them a reason. That's how children learn. Of course, that was over 30 years ago. Who knows, nowadays when a child asks "Why?" I suppose they just as often hear, "Google it."!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
      "...because I said so."

I always resented hearing that when I was a kid so I never said that to my kids when they asked, "Why?"! I always gave them a reason. That's how children learn. Of course, that was over 30 years ago. Who knows, nowadays when a child asks "Why?" I suppose they just as often hear, "Google it."!
      ooohhh ouch!!!!

The dreadful... "Because I said so..."

I friggin still hear it!!!!!!

Comment

My Fahdah use to eda say "pio da light" or "kill da light." When he said kill da light, I would stand next to da light switch and act like I was stabbing it to death. (Kinda like da scene from Psycho ) Anyway I got caught couple of times and got lickens for acking la dat. I can laugh now. Wasn't funny wen I got busted.

Fast forward to I'm a Mom. I use to say (& still do) "Trow da dishes in da sink!" And my smartass kids would pick up da dishes and ack like dey going actually trowem' in da sink from across da kitchen. I would give dem stink eye and dey would laugh, "you said THROW!" They'd walk up to the sink and make sudden moves like they going really throw the dishes in the sink.

Anyways I've always equated me killing da light wit dem trowing da dishes! But dey neva get lickings. Although I've pinched a few butts & arms.
        ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          "...because I said so."

bwahaha! I am *soooo* gonna add that to the lexicon.

pax

Comment

I mom always said "I hope you get one kid 10times worse than you" I siad that to my son too
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Yeah, I can still remember that saying, I`m sure we all when hear it!!! YOU JUST WAIT TILL YOU GET YOUR OWN KID`S, DENN YOU GOIN SEE!!!
              REMEMBER THAT????
              bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

ME: You know, it's times like this that I wish I had listened to what my father used to say.

YOU: Oh? What did he say?

ME: I don't know; I wasn't listening.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                  Yeah, I can still remember that saying, I`m sure we all when hear it!!! YOU JUST WAIT TILL YOU GET YOUR OWN KID`S, DENN YOU GOIN SEE!!!
                  REMEMBER THAT????

Oooooh da all mighty generational family curse ~ Yes ~ I've since passed it on. I told my kids "yeah you think you so BAD, wait till you have kids." I think I must have scared da kaka outta my kids because they ain't made no babies, yet! (or that I no of)
                  ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

"wear gloves before doing that"; "don't touch that"; "next time, listen before you do that"

Of course, that was all from my dad because me and my brothers helpped him with construction-related stuff, but if you think about, those same principles can apply to normal life.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Our #1 House rule for Family and friends...
                      Eat anthing you want...just don't waste!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

i teach my kids to

1. love the lord your god and your neighbor as yourself

2. love your country, the greatest in the whole world, with unfailing devotion to freedom and undying hatred for all enemies and traitors of america

3. keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer and keep your wallet closest

4. live for immortality

5. conquest is your birthright and supremacy is your destiny
                        Last edited by stumphurple; January 2, 2006, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Admin? Mods? mel? helen? pzarq?! anyone??

Comment

What? He just said what He's passing down. A bit strong in his way, but aren't we all eh?
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Things I will pass down, (in no real particular order):

1 - Listen first - speak later, listening with open ears and a thoughtful mind is more important than speaking quickly

2 - Question authority, just because a person is in a position of authority doesn't mean they are always correct

3 - Research you position thoroughly before presenting it, be prepared to defend yourself and your position

4 - Not everyone deserves your respect, but always respect the power they may hold over you.

5 - Do not follow blindly, the person you follow may be far blinder than you are

6 - Think for yourself, opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one and each one is different in it's own way

7 - Listen to your gut, if something feels wrong to you step back and check it out from a safe distance whether it's physical, emotional or social

8 - The only thing you can truely control is yourself, it's also the hardest thing to control, work at it every day

9 - Do not be afraid of either defense nor retreat, defend yourself if the situation is defensable if it's not, retreat and regroup until you can defend later if at all possible

10 - Be polite but never mistake politeness for weakness

11 - Be like free flowing water, a placidly rolling exterior can work for you and fool your enemies...until a wave smacks em upside the head... and patient persistan movement in any learning situation over time will conquer even the hardest lesson, a trickle of constant moving water can erode the hardest rock over time. NEVER allow your mind to stagnate unless you really LIKE green and slimey.
                              Last edited by Peshkwe; January 3, 2006, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X