No announcement yet.

18 people in a 2-bedroom apartment?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18 people in a 2-bedroom apartment?!

Originally posted by pzarquon
    I have no idea why we're being cited in this thread, or how our arrangements at UH Hilo are even relevant. Sure we had two happy couples essentially occupying a single dorm room built for two, but the two "guests" were also paying for their own dormitory accommodations (they just weren't making much use of them), so obviously it wasn't a "financial" issue. Further, student housing is a wholly different animal from the open rental market. Dorms have different ameneties, living areas, management and maintenance arrangements... it's apples and oranges.
    I was just trying to basically point out that if one of our own threaders can endure living in a small, cramped situation like that... then some people obviously can handle more than others...

I lived in the Kehau dorms which were much bigger then the ones you were living in, however, I found that having 2 people in such a confined space...made it difficult for me to live in.... Therefore, the next semester... I ended up doing a "buy-out" so that I could have the room to myself...

Every person is different and can handle living situations differently....

My mom has a 3brm house all to herself on the Big Island... While My wifes family has 6 living in a 3 brm...

Everyone is comfortable in different situations....that is all I was trying to convey and using someone on this board that most of us at least know of... as an example was the best way I thought I could get it across... I guess it wasn't the best way...

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl

I admit that I generalized the druggie/gang member part to mean currently actively still on parole/probation (which are more likely to fall back into the same patterns of behavior).
      I do think that the ones who learned their lesson and reformed and have given back to the community have steady full time jobs and are productive members of society should be given a second chance at a good life

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        I was just trying to basically point out that if one of our own threaders can endure living in a small, cramped situation like that... then some people obviously can handle more than others...
        I was also trying to point out that even People we know this board have had to "bend" rules to accomodate their housing.

We both know that the only way males and females were allowed to live in the same dorm room was if they were married at the time.... were you guys??? No!!!

Yes you mentioned the two guests were paying for the accomodations (I'm assuming you paid your dorm fees.... but were you also paying for the extra "usage of the building ie; the extra electricity, water, and "Free Toilet Paper" that was given to dorm students in those accomodations?

Another bend of the rule... you knew that as residents of those dorms... each resident was required to purchase a meal plan.... I don't want to assume anything...but I will ask.... did all four of you pay for meal plans???

I'm not trying to hark on anybody... Had I been that smart... I would have done the same thing w/ my girlfriend at the time.... however, she was on scholarship from the Tennis team and her housing was paid....(and her roommate wasn't just going to let me stay w/ them)

Housing in Hawaii is tricky...and it seems like everyone at sometime or another has had to do something to keep a roof over there heads.

Comment

Manoa, your insistence on citing and deconstructing my personal college situation is baffling at best, disconcerting and inappropriate at worst.

Did my unmarried roommate and I shack up with our girlfriends in a dorm room built for two? Yes. Is that against the rules? Yes. Does this prove a point about the real, difficult decisions everyday people have to make to keep a roof over their heads? No. College kids do all kinds of stuff. But college is not the real world. The dumb things college kids have the luxury to do -- paying thousands of dollars for tuition on top of housing costs, meanwhile shacking up, eating pizza every night, whatever -- is incomparable to the kinds of choices and rules (and rule bending) a struggling family has to face.

As to your questions about "extra usage" and "meal plans"? Like I said, all four of us were paying for dorm space and services. So, yes, we all had meal plans. And if we doubled the toilet paper consumption in one dorm room, I'd imagine we concurrently cut the toilet paper consumption in the rooms not being used.

I'm not trying to hark on anybody...
          Could've fooled me. You say, "I thought I could get it across... I guess it wasn't the best way..." But then carry on some more. Stick to the issue. Not only are you making this personal (and I wasn't even participating in this thread), but you're not even making the point you think you're making.

Comment

Wow! This thread has really grown over the past couple of days. Just a quick comment on public housing in Hawaii. My understanding is that the waiting list is between 2 to 5 years so it is not a viable solution for the people who lost their house in the short term.

I do not have a problem with many people living in a small space. The Western notion that everyone needs a lot of space is at odds with the realities of life on an island with a growing population. Singapore is one of the most populated places on earth but it doesn't feel terribly crowded because it is well laid out and well maintained. Of course, they have done what timkona recommends and they built up.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
              Just a quick comment on public housing in Hawaii. My understanding is that the waiting list is between 2 to 5 years so it is not a viable solution for the people who lost their house in the short term.
              In Febuary 1997, my 17 year old son became the head of household when my husband died. I suffered a stroke. He and his siblings took care of me. He applied for Public Housing. At the time, we were living at the Kokea Women & Children Homeless Shelter in Kapalama.

Because it was considered a Homeless Facility, we were automatically put on the top of the list. We waited less than six months for a three bedroom unit at MWH where I still remain today.

My children all have left for greener pastures. I remain here at my choosing.

Times have changed since 1997. The waiting list, is as you say. Being Homeless does not guarrantee being put up on a list or given special considerations.

Personally, I am in a comfort zone where I can afford my rent. My children have asked me to live with them at their homes...but I no like. I enjoy my independence to much. I can visit them anytime I like.

Living in Public Housing is not easy. But that's another topic.

It's easy to talk and say this and that about things. It's all whole different story when one has lived it!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                It's easy to talk and say this and that about things. It's all whole different story when one has lived it!

Auntie Lynn
                And that's why your input is so valuable. You do live it and you share your thoughts and experiences. It helps all of us.
                Mahalo, Auntie Lynn!

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                  And that's why your input is so valuable. You do live it and you share your thoughts and experiences. It helps all of us.
                  Mahalo, Auntie Lynn!
                  Glossyp, Sometimes people ask me why I give and share so much of my personal and private information. I tell them, from all the hardships, experiences, pain, happiness, etc., I have encountered in my Life...

if I can help one person, teach, or save another...

then I am doing my Purpose.

The God I believe in ~ is Awesome. I give him the Honor and the Glory.

Mahalo for your kind words today.

Auntie Lynn Vasquez of MWH!
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; May 9, 2006, 04:15 PM.
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    My guess is they are probably also an immigrant family who are used to living in crowded consitions. It'd almost be better for them to try to get into public housing because even there I'm sure there wouldn't be 18 people crowded into that little (probably less than 1000 sq ft) living space.

Miulang
                    Ho! That sounds a little bit like what Laura Bush said, about those people stuck in the Dome, during Katrina.
                    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X