Dress Code & Attire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress Code & Attire

Here's a thread to discuss anything and everything about what you wear, he wears, she wears and they wear. What you think is appropriate and not appropriate attire at a given place.

Are you a "T-Shirt, 'Shotts' & Slippahz" kinda' person? Most folks in Hawaii are! Or are you the type that likes to "Duke it up", even if you're just going to the store for a loaf of bread?

Do you have a fancy for hats? Shoes? Any other accessory?

Do you like to dress differently then everyone else? Or do you dress everyone up in your family in matching aloha shirts and pants? I've seen it! lol

What is the dress code of your work or school, and how do you fit your attire to comply with that?

What is your usual choice of dress attire for:
    1. work
    2. school
    3. going to the supermarket
    4. going to the mall
    5. nightclubbing
    6. a first date (which can occur following the question before this) lol
    7. the beach
    8. a family party
    9. a friend's party
    10. a wedding (as an invited guest, not a participant)
    11. a funeral
    12. flying (on a commercial airline)
    13. home (Warning Alert: TMI level MEDIUM) lol
    14. sleeping (Warning Alert: TMI level HIGH) lol
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Dress Code & Attire

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    What is your usual choice of dress attire for:
    1. work
    2. school
    3. going to the supermarket
    4. going to the mall
    5. nightclubbing
    6. a first date (which can occur following the question before this) lol
    7. the beach
    8. a family party
    9. a friend's party
    10. a wedding (as an invited guest, not a participant)
    11. a funeral
    12. flying (on a commercial airline)
    13. home (Warning Alert: TMI level MEDIUM) lol
    14. sleeping (Warning Alert: TMI level HIGH) lol

Work: Nice pants and nice top. if there are meetings, I bring a blazer. I also will sometimes go bohemian in a tunic or long fluffy skirt, belt, tank top. Jewelry made for me by my sister-in-law.

Supermarket: Depends where I was first: work wear, exercise wear, tank top and shorts.

Shopping: I like a skort and an easy top to get in and out of.

The Beach: tankini and a surf shirt, surfboard, surfboard wax, SPF 45.

Family Party: Jam's World
    Friends Party: Jam's World
    Wedding: Glam dress, not white, not black.
    Funeral: Subtle aloha attire
    Flying: Jeans, comfortable top
    Home: camisole, tank top, shorts, stuff like that
    Sleeping: tank top, undies, shorts on standby in case I need to run out and break up a cat fight.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

1. work -- assigned work shirt and skirts or khaki pants
      2. school -- jeans and a t-shirt -- clothing I'm not afraid of getting messed up
      3. going to the supermarket -- whatever I'm wearing
      4. going to the mall -- usually just whatever I'm wearing
      5. nightclubbing -- a cute dress or skirt
      6. a first date (which can occur following the question before this) lol -- really depends on where we're going
      7. the beach -- bathing suit and sarong
      8. a family party -- tshirt and jeans unless it's more formal, then a skirt
      9. a friend's party -- tshirt and jeans
      10. a wedding (as an invited guest, not a participant) -- a nice dress
      11. a funeral -- a nice dress
      12. flying (on a commercial airline) -- a long comfortable skirt, shoes that slip off, a light sweater
      13. home (Warning Alert: TMI level MEDIUM) -- honestly, if I don't have anywhere to go, my nightgown
      14. sleeping (Warning Alert: TMI level HIGH) -- nightgown or pajamas

I generally go for comfort over appearance, though if I'm going out with friends I might put more effort into it. And yes, I do have a thing for hats, especially ones I make myself.
      Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
      Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

In the "Funniest Part of the Day" thread, I poked fun at how Filipino folks like to really duke it up. Not to overlook (and overdress) myself in the mirror, I do the same.

With that, this is my usual choice of attire (even going to the supermarket), except for casual situations such as the beach and home:

Long sleeve dress shirt (pressed well & buttoned up), usually without any pattern and more of an earth tone color (like dark green, brown or black, yet sometimes white with stripes), black dress slacks (preferably polyester & cotton blend), and polished black leather dress shoes. That's how you'll usually find me.

I'm certainly not the "T-shirt & slippahz" type; my choice being a collared shirt and either Crocs or casual walking shoes. Even at the beach.

At home? Shorts, no shirt.

Sleeping? Loose, preferably cotton shorts, or sometimes boxers. Certainly NO tight-fitting underwear or ANY shirt, which otherwise feels like sleeping with a straitjacket. NO way. Gotta' "free-ball". lol See? TMI level on this one is high!
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Whateva fits and I always color match.

My Motto is KISS ~ Keep it Simple STUPID!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            Whateva fits and I always color match.
            Isn't that a law?

I am definitely a "T-shirt, 'Shotts' & Slippahz" type. For work and school (since they are one in the same) I usually wear jeans and a little nicer top - once in a while I'll wear a casual skirt. For the beach its a tankini or one-piece suit with shorts (only to walk to and from the beach). I haven't been to a nightclub or on a first date in many, many years. When I am going to a wedding or nicer party, I'll get all dolled up (I clean up real well I'm told). Not sequens or gowns, but a nice dress and heels - do the hair and make-up thing. Now flying, I have specifics - long, loose skirt and sweater over sleeveless top. I'm usually flying for long periods and go from cold climate to warm and back again. So I've learned to be prepared. I rarely go to the supermarket or mall but I wouldn't worry about what I'm wearing when I do go. And since I am usually casual, I don't dress differently at home. As far as sleeping? Ummm....the TMI level is high.

Comment

Home: Shorts, t-shirt, & bare feet

Work: Shorts, polo shirt, & running shoes

Shopping: Shorts, t-shirt, & running shoes

For real kine business or formal: $$$ Aloha Shirt, Khakis, Italian leather shoes (my one real extravagance, worn so infrequently they are lasting forever).

Sleeping: Boxers

Yeah, lots of shorts. Prefer running shoes to slippers. Polo shirts are work issue. I'm all about long term comfort since my days are very long.

Comment

All I can say is that the folks at "What Not To Wear" (airs on TLC) would have a field day with me. I'm so horrible at fashion that my husband picks out all my clothes. But then I, inevitably, miss match them!

(no, not me....I don't think I'm that bad! )
                So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Work: Unfortunately, gotta wear the monkey suit...coat and tie.

Chores/supermarket: Hawaiian T's, shorts, and slippahz

Family Parties/Gatherings/Church: Aloha Shirt 'n khakis

Sleep: wear da boxahz, t-shirt in da winter

All around dress: if I had my way, just tees, shorts, and slippahz would be fine with me.

Comment

Only got 3 "wardrobes".
                    Shorts, t-shirt and slippahs.
                    Jeans, aloha shirt and clogs.
                    Silk boxers.

Comment

The thing I don't get are that the most unfit, visually-repulsive people tend to wear the LEAST at the beach. Short, bald, fat and hairy "Uncle Louigi" is out there on Waikiki beach with his speedo's just kills me. Kills me, I tell ya'! Same for women. The hottest chicks cover up with shorts and a T-shirt, while the opposite (visually) are out there with G-strings.

But I love everyone, regardless.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        The thing I don't get are that the most unfit, visually-repulsive people tend to wear the LEAST at the beach. Short, bald, fat and hairy "Uncle Louigi" is out there on Waikiki beach with his speedo's just kills me. Kills me, I tell ya'! Same for women. The hottest chicks cover up with shorts and a T-shirt, while the opposite (visually) are out there with G-strings.

But I love everyone, regardless.
                        Oh, I gotta agree with that one! Nothing, I mean nothing bugs me more. I think I even wrote about it in the Pet Peeves thread.

Comment

Yup, horrors. Reminds me of that Corona commercial. lol

Another one that astounds me are the local women who wear Hawaiian Bracelets like they're "Wonder Woman on Acid".

There's this one young lady who's a cashier at a gas station convenience store on the east side who wears Hawaiian Bracelets halfway up to her elbow on both arms. That's like telling potential robbers, "yeah, take our money, and all this expensive jewelry while you're at it". If I were her boss, I'd suggest to her not to wear all that for security reasons. One is fine, but not the whole collection!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Recently reported...

Baggy pants crackdown goes national
                            Proposals to ban saggy pants are starting to ride up in several places. At the extreme end, wearing pants low enough to show boxers or bare buttocks in one small Louisiana town means six months in jail and a $500 fine.
                            I never understood what guys see in these, fashion-wise. Or is it just functional (plenty of pockets and loose)? It's that whole hip-hop urban trend I guess. They're expensive too!

Whatever happened to the MC Hammer style parachute pants? lol
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

This was reported last week, but...

Southwest Airlines tells a 2nd woman to cover up. Now they're trying to save face by having a fare sale to honor miniskirts.

I don't believe in dress codes at all, and shame on Southwest for playing Fashion Police -- especially since they prided themselves as "the Love Airline" in the 1970s and dressed their stewardesses in hotpants.

When I fly, I'm covered head to toe because it gets really cold (on the long hauls). If I'm flying as a Non-Rev on someone's buddy pass, I'm dressed conservatively, as some airlines require those flying Non-Rev to follow a dress code. When I worked for United, we couldn't wear denims in First Class!
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                              X