Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your First Job

caution; Gross story follows.
    the Squeamish and the Amish read no further.

Originally posted by mel
    Oh I used to help my dad kill chickens at home. He'd chop off the head, and that I helped him soaked the bird in hot watter and defeather it.

OK, here's how mine went... my "psycho chicken" experience:

Da blalah tells me grab the chickens and put em on that chopping block. So I do.
    he hands me a hatchet. Well, being a kid who wants to grow into manhood I say ok I will do this..
    (to myself)
    to him, I already committed!

ok.
    So I raise da hatchett and i
    WHAAACK da buggah.

head.
    pop off.
    Body!?

hoooo I start laughing AND crying at once. Feel so bad for da poor buggah chicken.
    da body wen go race all around the farm in figure 8s and back and forth, tilting left and right.. all loopy and woozy, but kinda fast, yea!?
    for something with no head.

It was THE most bizzarre thing i ever saw. Or ever want to see.
    again.
    ever.

I said. OK.
    Now. Gimme another way to do this.
    Cuz bruddah, I ain't agonna do it like dat. again. nosireebob!

so. We hele on ovah to this tree.
    he gives me rope.

was told to hang da boids upsai down by da legs (of course) then grab da head. Puuulll on da head. Down, boy! not up!

ok.
    imagine that.
    helluva mental picture so far, eh!?

Then wat? I ask da bruddah.

He hands me a big knife.
    OK. CUT da neck.

den wot!?
    I ask?

(Ho, I nevah like ma-ke anything. I nevah wen keel nahteeng. evah. )
    By now, No like any aspect of dis "cheekin skin" experience!

he sez.
    T'row em away. Toss em far away.
    So I pull da head down. Streeetch da neck, make tight. mo bettah fo da knife go t'ruu.

But! Da knife sooo buss up! Dull and rusty! It was torture. On me AND da cheekin.
    (i shoulda yelled at da chicken; "eh brah dis goin hurt me more than it goin hurt you!" I could see him now clucking back; "ya wanna bet?!")

Finally, da head. come off. T'row da buggah faaaaaway.
    You shoulda seen da look on da buggahs face! (the farmer, not da cheekin.)

He had this freakin grin on his face.
    I say whatchoo smiling at!? That was disGUSSS sting!
    he said chaylook,you!
    And the body was spinning, goin horizontal, like Will Rogers twirling a rope fass kine!
    he sez. this is the best way... to drain blood from a fowl.
    I said....
    (yep you guessed it.)
    That's Fowl!
    gross, man!

Shortly after that; was offered a job at KFC.
    yep. You guessed it.
    became an accountant instead.
    ha.

Nuff.
    Of course.

(accountant part was the only fabricated thing in this.)

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      caution; Gross story follows.
      the Squeamish and the Amish read no further.

Yep, I did not want to mention it in my post about the chickens, but since you did, we also did the same thing. Put the chicken on the chopping block, use the small axe to hack its head off.... The shocked look on that chicken head could make anyone woosie.... and of course we too let the headless critter run around for a few seconds squirting blood all over the place... yucko. More often we just let it flap around in place until it was time for the hot bath.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ha! You guys should check out the website for Mike the Headless Chicken. Sometimes da buggas, dey no die!

Comment

My first job was volunteering at Queen's Medical Center over the summer. Got to wear a wholly unfashionable yellow vest, and move manila folders and warm packets of body fluid around. Gotta admit, the inter-facility vacuum tube system was pretty cool... Very George Jetson. I was later assigned to the ICU, and boy a kid can grow up quick getting to know those patients (many of whom are gone within a week).

My first paid job was as a Student Aide at the Board of Water Supply. They were just getting their GIS mapping system working, and we got to do both outdoor and indoor stuff -- on-site street surveys and plotting map points into snazzy SPARC/X-Windows stations.

Comment

My grandmother used to do the axe thing with the chickens and, yep, watching their headless bodies run around afterwards was NOT one of my favorite memories of childhood. Sort of down there with watching a tornado approach before rushing to the storm shelter.

Still, I'm glad doing the chopping wasn't my first job.

Comment

Re: Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku

Originally posted by kimo55
              eh auntie! what WAs yer first job!?

Oh, also, what was yer first pet's name, too?!
              Like I wen say earlier on da oddah t'read, McD's (da old one at Koko Marina wit da pirate ship wheah Local Motion stay now, befoah dey wen put in da drive-thru). I worked da morning shift and made da biscuits. Back in doze days we made 'um from one mix and when I walked home my black pants wen stay all white...

And to answer da second question, my moddah had one dachshund named Cindy, she wen buy her befoah I wuz born.

Last edited by AuntieNellieKulolo; August 26, 2004, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Billing/Data Entry for my dad's medical practice

Comment

Odd that I've never seen this thread.

My first paying job was as a student aide at Aiea Public Library. I mostly shelved books for a couple of hours a day and four hours on Saturdays. I was fifteen.

I also did restaurant stuff when I was sixteen (Waimalu Ezogiku), worked at the Boy Scouts' Camp Pupukea one summer, and took photos of tourists with lei-greeters at the airport. All this before I was nineteen.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Technically, its being a substitute for my Mom at our foster care home (which will only get harder).

I'd love to get a "real first job" but since that comes first, along with school then I won't be doing anything for a while.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Hmmm...this goes way, way back. Anybody remember the old drive inn next to the car wash across Strub Hospital? The one made the excellent Mahi Mahi and Teri Beef sandwiches and Real Shakes? My first job and I forgot the name....shucks.

I was a counter girl...who asked to learn how to cook from the one arm owner, Mr. Hayashi. He taught me well....darn, I still can't remember the drive inn's name.
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; June 9, 2005, 12:14 PM.
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The transition from student to worker was so drawn out and convoluted for me, I don't know what to start counting as a first job. Campus job? Apart from student newspaper stuff, I did techy things for various departments (CBA, Campus Security, etc.). Summer job? Volunteering at Queen's, volunteering at Board of Water Supply... Actual paid job? I guess my last 'summer job' turned into my first 'real job' - techy things for an international trade association.

A great gig, that was, dragging me all over the Pacific Rim -- New Zealand, Malaysia, Japan, Hong Kong...

Comment

illegal underage worker at a fortune cookie factory. it was fun working with the gargantuan mixer machine (so big was like a Flintstone cartoon ), dropped plenty sesame seed dough balls on the floor but put them back on the tray before going in the rotating ovens (HOT!). everybody did that. the actual fortune cookie machine was hilarious to watch actually, early assembly line robotics. final step was pneumatic bagging machine which you sat in like a fighter cockpit. again more kid pranks some boxes had couple empty puffed up baggies last step everyday was sweeping the shop. I used to hate that but now am almost a clean freak and constantly sweeping the garage.
                          this space for rent

Comment

Unsurprisingly, my fist real job was working in a shitty record store - the now defunct House of Music. Used to be downstairs by the stage at Ala Moana.
                            I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa
                              Unsurprisingly, my fist real job was working in a shitty record store - the now defunct House of Music. Used to be downstairs by the stage at Ala Moana.
                              That was a lousy record store, but it was a great sheet-music store. I didn't discover Harry's until I was in college (I was a Waipahu / Pearl City boy; Waialae was something I heard about on the news), so the only place I could count on to have recent pop hits in sheet music was House of Music. Used to spend up to an hour at a time contemplating what one song I'd purchase with my small handful of cash, or I'd stand there in the store, trying to memorize two measures at a time. Great memories.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's incredible what we do to earn a buck, eh? I delivered the star-bulletin for years. Does it still excist? Only joking. In high school my first paycheck job was at Jack in the Box right across the street from Waikiki. Think it was the most busy one in the world. I don't think it still excists. Shortly after that I got on the morning clean up crew at the Blaisdell. You know for after concerts, boxing, whatevers. I put some of the "finds" to good use. This once I found a large diamond ring, turned it in to the office since I figured the lady must be freakin' out and it was not claimed but also couldn't be found for me to claim it either. Oh well I didn't need it at the time.
                                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X