Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your First Job?

"OK, new thread! First jobs!"

Woolworth's stock boy for me. Oh, I do miss that store. Evidently they still exist in Europe. But these days, when a button falls off your shorts and it's the metal-kine, no sew-holes, where do you go to buy a new button and sew it on? (No, don't even think about saying Long's because I checked there first.)

Maybe Wal-Mart will sell buttons.

Re: Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku

Oh, the joy of thread drift in action...

Comment

Re: Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku

Originally posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
      Oh, the joy of thread drift in action...

eh auntie! what WAs yer first job!?

Oh, also, what was yer first pet's name, too?!

Comment

Re: Your First Job

First job where I handled money (if I could collect): delivering a weekly in West LA at 10 or 11 years old. 15 cents a week per customer, and I doubt I ever made $30 in a month.

Next job: delivering the old Washington Star in Annandale, Va. 45 papers a day, 7 days a week. Probably about $50-60 a month. Not bad for a freshman-junior year high school student.

First "real" job with a regular paycheck was janitor in my own high school 3 days a week, $1.60 an hour. That was junior-senior years.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

delivering the Hawaii Times Japanese newspaper. I had 21 papers to deliver and earned $21 a month. My route was Niu A and covered Hawaii Kai to Kaimuki. It took over 2-hours to deliver 21 papers. One paper was half way up Waialae Nui ridge while another was in Niu Valley. Four were up in both buildings of the Kahala Towers, and the rest was spread out between 18th avenue and Kalani Iki. I got chased by dogs, mokes and city buses for four years starting at age 11 and went thru two bikes and ended up at Queen's emergency room twice from accidents delivering along Kalanianaole Highway and coming down mountain ridges on a bicycle.

Now that I think about it, it wasn't worth the $21 a month. But back then a gallon of gas cost 25-cents so I guess it was decent money for an 11-year old.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Pineapple trimmer for Dole Pine! That really dates me! When I told my kids to apply there they said that the cannery was no moah!
            Retired Senior Member

Comment

Working as an Ace hardware store clerk. I was assigned to be the assistant to the paint department guy, and he decided that summer to re-organize the stock room. So there I am, young and small and skinny, looking up from the bottom of a ladder. My supervisor, this big tall Samoan guy, is at the top of the ladder and says, "You ready?" I nod, and he starts tossing down cardboard cartons of paint, with four one-gallon cans per carton. I had to catch and stack 'em. And that was on the first day! I dreaded working the plumbing department, because some old guy would always come in needing a replacement for an unidentifiable slime-covered widget he'd removed from his house. Then there was the interminable bagging and weighing of one-pound plastic bags of nails out of the fifty-pound boxes they came in. Man, I got some serious calluses from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                Pineapple trimmer for Dole Pine! That really dates me! When I told my kids to apply there they said that the cannery was no moah!

My last job in radio was at Clear Channel/KHVH in the Dole Cannery. I would take one or two of my younger boys with me to work once in a while on the weekend and tell them I used to work in these hallowed halls when it processed the pinapple. I even took them to the roof where the mounts for the pineapple water tower still stand.

Yeah every local high schooler worked for Libby's or Dole during the summer months, that was the thing to do to earn money during the summer.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Forgot.

First job; delivering da advahtizah all thru lanikai with my cross the street best friend, Doug Colbert. (lived at Aalapapa and Pokole Way.
                  We delivered all along aalapapa. Think some odda keed wen delivah mokulua side.
                  We dropped off at the birdlady. She was sweet. See that house on the hill x from the lanikai marker thing? That place is incredible inside.

Nodder job; at about 16 was at the cannery. Ho da noisy.
                  had to wear earplugs, hard hat;
                  Worked in a huge warehouse with a deisel forklift running around us all day. Went to da nurse and said need a slip to get transferred to anodda dept. Da fumes steh getting to me; Giving me asthma.
                  She said Oh no, that can't be. That exhaust is approved for human consumption. (or sumpin li dat) I said I dont care if its approved bed of roses. If I cant handle it, I cant take it!

So I quit.
                  haa
                  joke was on me; Ended up at da Honolulu zoo, shoveling da kine at da elephant cage.

Bumbai, helped feed da lions. Is was heartbreaking; they has chainlink fence corrals filled with swayback old horses insai.
                  Yep. You guessed it.
                  We hadda "make, die, dead" da horses.
                  then
                  hadda haul da "pieces" behind the lion cages and throw parts to them. Ho da cheekin skin, when da horse head steh winkin' atchoo..

Comment

OH WOW!!! That's a terrible job to have had at the zoo...hope you got paid well for all the nightmares that you had!
                    Retired Senior Member

Comment

First jobs..huh?,

WoW!.

Everone's first jobs here seems alot harder than my first job.

I passed out flyers in ward area (which the company is long gone already).

I had to run right after(Intermediate) school to my (first) job, then passed out flyers to people, & also gave them out to drivers on the road when the traffic light was red. I think I scared my b/f (when I was datting him before) ,when I did that.
                      Aches & Pains
                      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

My first job was helping out my Dad and grandfather on a ranch. My first paid job was working at a pharmacy. I then worked at grocery store, worked at college for the publications office and did work as a part-time DJ spinning records at dances. Next it was photography, and then the typesetting business........ All of these were now more than 20+ years ago.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity
                          First jobs..huh?,

WoW!.

Everone's first jobs here seems alot harder than my first job.

I passed out flyers in ward area gave them out to drivers on the road when the traffic light was red. I think I scared my b/f (when I was datting him before) ,when I did that.

Oh I dunno, That too, sounds like a hard job, at least on yer b/f, especially if you were datting him!
                          (jezz keeding!)

reminds me, back in da Hippie days; what we did to save kala was pass out flyers in waikiki for the concerts at the Civic and in D.H. crater. remember working a few nights for tix to Humble Pie, Frank Zappa, BTO, ....hmmm who else played there...

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                            My first job was helping out my Dad and grandfather on a ranch. My first paid job was working at a pharmacy. I then worked at grocery store, worked at college for the publications office and did work as a part-time DJ spinning records at dances. Next it was photography, and then the typesetting business........ All of these were now more than 20+ years ago.

OK, now da memories steh flowin like nuuanu stream in da 70's.

I worked at a ranch too. Killing chickens, I was a wuss. lasted four days doing that.

I worked at a pharmacy too!
                            But was different kine.
                            Remember stewart's pharmacy?!
                            On kalakaua. Makai side.
                            It was a great coffee shop. da bruddahs caz talk story bout da place on some record of theirs.
                            Yep, and photography, too! For Sunbums magazine!
                            aaaand, I worked at a grocery store....
                            dat wuz Kokua back in da early 70's, the place different now. back then buncha hippies working for food. Moiliili was great then rememeber a cool bookshop i think makai side, x from the haunt, somehewhere near where Kokua steh now. maybe. maybe not.
                            Brain all scrambled from old age.
                            Azz why hahd eh!?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              I worked at a ranch too. Killing chickens, I was a wuss. lasted four days doing that.
                              Oh I used to help my dad kill chickens at home. He'd chop off the head, and that I helped him soaked the bird in hot watter and defeather it.

Of course if your stomach can't handle chickens, you would not have been able to handle cattle branding and "mountain oysters".

I worked at a pharmacy too!
                              But was different kine.
                              Remember stewart's pharmacy?!
                              On kalakaua. Makai side.
                              Since I grew up for the first 18 years of my life on the Big Island, my exposure to Honolulu was very limited. So I don't remember Stewart's Pharmacy. I worked at a place called Village Pharmacy that was a gift shop and pharmacy. I would go to the dock and airport to pick up the merchandise including perscription and over the counter drugs. Bring em back, price-em, do the paperwork and stock the shelves. Was kind of fun as I learned the name of many different kinds of drugs, their manufacturers and price.

Yep, and photography, too! For Sunbums magazine!
                              I remember Sunbums magazine. Used to pick those up at DJ's Sound City in Ala Moana Shopping Center. I learned photography in school and shot for our publications office and later made it a very part time business shooting pictures (posed couples in fake backdrop) at those school dances that used a live band instead of a DJ.

aaaand, I worked at a grocery store....
                              Worked in the mom and pop in our town that had just grown but still run by the same family. The store is still in business today.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X