X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Molokai Ranch closing operations

Amazing editorial from this morning's Honolulu Advertiser:

SENATE SUCCUMBING TO ANGRY ACTIVISTS

The recent closing of Molokai Ranch is a sad story of how the angry and unreasonable voices of a minority of Moloka'i residents caused the rest of the Friendly Isle to suffer. After a lengthy consultation with the community, Molokai Ranch agreed to turn over 50,000 acres to a public trust to maintain the open space lifestyle of Moloka'i in exchange for the right to develop a high-quality residential project at La'au Point.

The loud activists caused the politicians to stop the project. Now 120 residents are without jobs and Moloka'i will not be getting the 50,000-acre trust and revenue in perpetuity from the development project.

A similar thing is happening with the OHA proposed settlement. The Senate is succumbing to angry activists. The settlement is a reasonable compromise. Leaders can never satisfy everyone. If the Senate does not like the settlement, then improve it but do not lose this golden opportunity like Moloka'i did. Life is fragile and full of examples of where an un-acted upon opportunity today becomes a forever-lost opportunity tomorrow.

Colette Machado
    Trustee, Moloka'i and Lana'i, Office of Hawaiian Affairs

Not quite the majority in favor of Ritte it seems.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Majority of the residents on Molokai may have supported the ranch, but they were a silent majority.

http://www.khon2.com/home/ticker/17005111.html

DeMello says many residents support the ranch and its efforts.
      "There's a lot also with us -- and most of them the people that are with us don't want to voice themselves because I'm afraid," said Demello.

Well lady, by being afraid to speak up, you and those like you have let your destiny be controlled by a loud minority. Sorry, but you'll get no sympathy from me.

Looking at the bigger picture, though, I think this is a lesson for everybody in this state. That the interests of the local community and commerce needs to be balanced out for the greater good. We can't just think, "Get rid of all the parades in Waikiki. Slows down my drive time!" Or "Too many damn tourists on this beach. I wish they would all just stay away from here so there's more space for us locals." Of course, the economy on Oahu is not singlehandedly controlled by one company. But I think the same principal applies. For the greater good, everybody need to make compromises in order to economically co-exist. "My way or the highway" usually does not lead to good results.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I really believe that the reporting on this shutdown has been unfairly biased against the people fighting against this project. Which to me is not fair or
        accurate. Molokai Ranch's owner put all their eggs in one basket. Which was very costly mistake on their part.

It blows my mind that everyone who has commented on this shutdown doesn't have a problem with paving over La'au.Building up to 200 McMansions at La'au point would've ruined that area forever.

I can already guess that most people will call me a hypocrite based upon my other opinions I've expressed over the years. But thats their problem, not mine.
        I've seen how rampant over development can negatively change places.I don't have look any farther than driving around Kailua-Kona.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
          Now I know how I'll support myself in Hawaii. I'll open a theater on Molokai!
          See if you can buy the Maunaloa Tri-Plex Cinema and then open up a chain near Kaunakaka'i.

To be honest, a wind farm sounds better than luxury mansions on my home island.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Molokai....Walter Ritte.....Walter Ritte....Walter Ritte

How nice to have a name to associate with the IGNORANCE !!!!!!!

More people should concentrate on naming names in Hawaii. Show who is who in the zoo and pretty soon the dumb$H!+$ will get tired of being the targets and shut their ignorant mouths. Ignorance is like a religion in Hawaii. I can only hope that displaced workers (like mothers and fathers) will search out this dumba$$ and beat him senseless. Oh....too late....he already nomoa cents.

Walter WHO!!! Just another ignoramus. Yup I said it. Thats me. And I'm easy to find. Careful what you look for.

And those of you who feel offended are just as ignorant.

Bwahahahahahahahaahahahahahahhhhahaaaaaahhhhaaaaaa ahhh

OMG ROFL ROFLMAO ROFLMFAO....laugh laugh laugh.....Talked about it in the bar tonight....drinking a Coors Lt...laughed there too.....offended a lot of liberals....grinding their stupid noses in it......woooooo hoooooo.....this is fun stuff...I'm gonna get so much mileage out of this. This is like a holiday to ridicule idiots.

Now go vote for Clinton or Obama and continue to prove what a stupid $h!+ you truly are.

Oh man.....bwahahaha....I am as joyous as all the liberals who feel like they have saved Molokai.

Edit : I wonder if anybody on Molokai is brave enough to publish where Mr. Ritte actually resides such that the unemployed might know where to vent their frustrations. Bet not.
            Last edited by timkona; March 27, 2008, 09:44 PM.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Sleep it off, timkona.

I'm gonna pretend it's the alcohol talkin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                Sleep it off, timkona.

I'm gonna pretend it's the alcohol talkin'.
                Yep hittin da bottle again

But ho man when the mind goes numb, the truth comes flying out.

Walter Ritte, I tink dis one wen backfire. True La'au Point is pristine lands (I've been there and was astounded) but the majority have spoken.

One thing about Molokai, everyone knows each other there and when one speaks out, the entire island knows about it. So if you speak out against certain activism, you better make sure you get the backing of the rest of the plantation folk on the West side.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

A Coors Lt and a steak dinner hardly qualifies as hittin da bottle. And as many of you know, I have no fear whatsoever of blurting out the balls truth like a 3 phase claxon horn. Most, who are truly ignorant, scream "Kill the Messenger" because they are too scared of themselves, and their warped belief systems, to actually hear the message.

I'm still laughing, and guarantee I'm gonna spend the next month, at least, reminding libs what a bunch of dimwits they are, and using Molokai as the poster child of proof.

And as a sidenote for clarity, I would add that, to my mind, there is a large distinction between liberals and Democrats. Bill is a Dem. Hill is a lib. It's not the Dems that are the problem. Heck, I even think gay marriage is okay. But the knee jerk, protesting, activist-minded, whacko liberals, who screw up our world on a daily basis, and bog down an already over-burdened system, and who, by and large, come from a certain generation and demographic, are a real bad problem in America today. Molokai just highlights this with stark relief.

And just think, without all those jobs on Molokai, perhaps more folks there will turn to drugs. Better yet, maybe the children will grow up and move away. Oh joy !!!! Bwahahahahahaha. Nice going Uncle Walter, you ding-bat. Can't wait to meet ya.

PS - Been to Laau Point also. It's nice. But dry and dusty and hot. And the ocean there is not exactly "friendly". If you gonna give rich folk a place to live, why not give them the crap land. They don't really know the difference between the beauty of a tropical rainforest setting like South Kona or East Molokai, and the windy, dry nightmare of South Kohala and West Molokai.

PSS - You gotta like those poll numbers on McCain right now. Libs are just pretend playing politics as they watch the Hill vs. Obama battle. Just another example of wishful morons. A mind is a terrible thing.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

And I dare any of you on this board who represent the ignorance to stand up to that last post.

Chickens.....all y'all. Knowing that the core of the belief system you subscribe to is just pure malarkey.

Oh this is so fun !!!!!! Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahladhga;;s hg;fdag hrpotgvomituvbrvmw;eog hflgh[ugovc,jqo;eirwthwcpmticghamkdfjav;odifhcvw;igueqm[ctq3[oericv

Cucamongacringa.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Yikes...this thread is getting very bizarre.

Comment

Parts of the thread are very logical and truthful.

What is happening on Molokai is very bizarre, and cruelly sad.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                          Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahladhga;;s hg;fdag hrpotgvomituvbrvmw;eog hflgh[ugovc,jqo;eirwthwcpmticghamkdfjav;odifhcvw;igueqm[ctq3[oericv
                          Stay away from the Coors Light, Tim, and you won't have so much of the part I highlighted. That stuff's p!$$water.

Comment

Oh yeah Leo....you are so funny. That was pure random, and yet look what I spelled.

I'm still laughing at the activism, and crying for the children of the unemployed.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

I may be voting for McCain this election, but even I don't like seeing luxury mansions over there. Better to have an affordable Hawaiian farmer's and fisherman's village housing with wind farms.

Comment

Nothing on Molokai is affordable to people who have no income. What???? You expect the government to give the money for folks to build or buy a home? Or maybe just cut some palm fronds and chiave trees and build a thatch hut?

Don't you fn get it????? So ignorant.

I will hammer this thread until admin gets tired. Or any liberal fesses up to the fact that they subscribe to, and believe in, a totally stupid way of thinking.
                                Last edited by timkona; March 28, 2008, 06:31 PM.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Working...
                                X