Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Molokai Ranch closing operations

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Nothing on Molokai is affordable to people who have no income. What???? You expect the government to give the money for folks to build or buy a home? Or maybe just cut some palm fronds and chiave trees and build a thatch hut?
    I expect Moloka'i Ranch to stop strong-arming the people there. Maybe it's time Moloka'i own Moloka'i Ranch, not Malaysia.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Chickens.....all y'all. Knowing that the core of the belief system you subscribe to is just pure malarkey.
      it's not that anyone here observing the pathetic spectacle you are making of yourself is chicken.

perhaps your life is exceedingly troubled or desperately unsatisfactory. maybe you suffer some form of mental illness or somehow you feel impotent in some aspect.

many on HT are truly good, salt of the earth folk. no matter what ugly, ranting drivel you type (sober or drunk) that incorporates faulty logic to insult broadly the very ears you ask them to lend, they will graciously refuse to kick someone who is down.

me? i shall aspire to be so charitable.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
        I really believe that the reporting on this shutdown has been unfairly biased against the people fighting against this project. Which to me is not fair or
        accurate. Molokai Ranch's owner put all their eggs in one basket. Which was very costly mistake on their part.

It blows my mind that everyone who has commented on this shutdown doesn't have a problem with paving over La'au.Building up to 200 McMansions at La'au point would've ruined that area forever.

I can already guess that most people will call me a hypocrite based upon my other opinions I've expressed over the years. But thats their problem, not mine.
        I've seen how rampant over development can negatively change places.I don't have look any farther than driving around Kailua-Kona.
        What exactly should MR have done in your opinion? There was all this talk about water resources. What about desalinization? And I don't understand why this Walter guy is now trying to get another developer into the fray? If he's so gung-ho about preserving Molokai, why get another developer here?

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

Comment

Wouldn't homes with views of the natural beauty of La'au Point (from somewhere besides on the point) be much much nicer than destroying the point to make homes?
          Just my two cents...
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            What exactly should MR have done in your opinion? There was all this talk about water resources. What about desalinization? And I don't understand why this Walter guy is now trying to get another developer into the fray? If he's so gung-ho about preserving Molokai, why get another developer here?
            MR should've focused on revitalizing the Kaluakoi Resort hotel and the surround resort area instead of trying to shove this illogical project at La'au down the throats of the residents of Molokai.

Water is only part of the reason I'm opposed to any development at La'au.
            So even if they built desalinization plant on Molokai, I'd still be opposed to developing La'au. Building up to 200 McMansions there would have a profoundly negative impact on Molokai.

I can't comment on the assertion that Walter is trying to get another developer into the fray. I'm only aware that there was a possibility that a
            wind farm company was willing to front 50 million to purchase Molokai Ranch
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
              I really believe that the reporting on this shutdown has been unfairly biased against the people fighting against this project. Which to me is not fair or
              accurate. Molokai Ranch's owner put all their eggs in one basket. Which was very costly mistake on their part.

It blows my mind that everyone who has commented on this shutdown doesn't have a problem with paving over La'au.Building up to 200 McMansions at La'au point would've ruined that area forever.

I can already guess that most people will call me a hypocrite based upon my other opinions I've expressed over the years. But thats their problem, not mine.
              Is that a squeaky wheel I hear in the background?
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Is that a squeaky wheel I hear in the background?
                Ok I guess I am a hypocrite then ? But there is a rationale behind this. I've seen how much my hometown (Kailua-Kona) has radically changed for the worse after
                years of rampant over development. Building up to 200 McMansions at La'au would've permanently and irreversibly changed Molokai.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Imagine trying to build a desalinization (sp?) plant on Molokai. Oh the protest. Besides, anybody who talks about water as if it is a problem is simply not aware that water plants exist throughout our planet. Again, beliefs and feelings will overpower science, facts, and knowledge.

Protest and activism is the problem folks. Liberalism has reached such a sad state that it reveres intransigence at the expense of the future. Molokai is merely the straw breaking the camel's back.

The sickest part is the lack of sympathy displayed by liberalism in general, as folks struggle to make it, lose their homes, fall on hard times, etc etc, all as the result of a high-minded, yet terribly misguided mindset. Liberals would describe themselves as charitable, but it is their actions that cause a demand for charity. See the Catch-22. Or not?
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

If Laau Point is such a beautiful place, why is it that there are no people living there all these years?? Halawa Valley is a truly a beautiful place, and life and living thrive there.

Again, if rich folk want the crap land, why not let them have it. Think South Kohala, Hokulia (where even cattle could not successfully be grazed for over 120 years).

Sounds to me like the root politics in this story are all about the protest itself, and not the actual issues that surround the story. Protest and activism has become the life blood of liberalism, at the expense of logic and rationality.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Hey Konaguy, you know and I know that the development in Kona has consisted of more $500,000 homes than million dollar homes. And that the liberal protest has increased the price for everything at every step of the way, across the board.

Lots of folks in Kona will lament the growth in one breath, then brag about their 16 grandkids in the next breath. Complete cognitive dissonance. If you don't like the growth, try protesting procreation.

I am heartbroken for the folks on Molokai. But not a single one of them will attempt to stifle the voices of protest led by Uncle Walter. Way to go Uncle.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

For me, the question is: Is it possible for things to stay the same and not change?

All over the state, there are people who don't want their communities to change. Molokai, Kahuku, Superferry, it's the same thing.

But I question whether it's even possible to "keep the country country."

The world is changing and that puts pressures on communities and forces them into making choices between what may seem like bad choices.

If they don't change, then the kids and many of the adults won't be able to find jobs and will have to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                          If they don't change, then the kids and many of the adults won't be able to find jobs and will have to leave.
                          If change is in the form of 500 luxury homes, I don't want that.

If change is in the form of wind farms and a working cultural village, I do want that.

I was wondering. Did Lana'i went down the same road of development?

Comment

What the hey is a "working cultural village"???? LOLOL

Just more wishful thinking, mumbo jumbo, soft minded, malarkey.

Creative-1 nailed it. Brilliant. Well said.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

What the hey is a "working cultural village"???? LOLOL

Just more wishful thinking, mumbo jumbo, soft minded, malarkey.

Creative-1 nailed it. Brilliant. Well said.
                              And what is wrong with a wind farm?

I don't mind change. I just want change to be in the right direction.

Heck I may be in favor of rail transit but I don't know if I want to hear the rachety noise of steel wheel on steel rail on a quiet night, unless I live in Waikiki (and I lobotomize myself).

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                And what is wrong with a wind farm?
                                Nothing wrong but I always thought activists didn't want any blight on the natural landscape? Wouldn't a swarm of windmills be a blight? Or the possible noise from the giant turbines spinning?

The latest news I read is that MK is considering parceling out the land in 100+ plots. That would seem to provide more development because each owner will do something on their parcel?

Additional thought, where's the OHA? Why don't they step in to ensure Molokai is kept country?
                                Last edited by joshuatree; March 30, 2008, 04:50 PM. Reason: added thought

Comment

Working...
                                X