X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankie's Market
    replied
    Re: Molokai Ranch closing operations

Majority of the residents on Molokai may have supported the ranch, but they were a silent majority.

http://www.khon2.com/home/ticker/17005111.html

DeMello says many residents support the ranch and its efforts.
    "There's a lot also with us -- and most of them the people that are with us don't want to voice themselves because I'm afraid," said Demello.

Well lady, by being afraid to speak up, you and those like you have let your destiny be controlled by a loud minority. Sorry, but you'll get no sympathy from me.

Looking at the bigger picture, though, I think this is a lesson for everybody in this state. That the interests of the local community and commerce needs to be balanced out for the greater good. We can't just think, "Get rid of all the parades in Waikiki. Slows down my drive time!" Or "Too many damn tourists on this beach. I wish they would all just stay away from here so there's more space for us locals." Of course, the economy on Oahu is not singlehandedly controlled by one company. But I think the same principal applies. For the greater good, everybody need to make compromises in order to economically co-exist. "My way or the highway" usually does not lead to good results.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Amazing editorial from this morning's Honolulu Advertiser:

SENATE SUCCUMBING TO ANGRY ACTIVISTS

The recent closing of Molokai Ranch is a sad story of how the angry and unreasonable voices of a minority of Moloka'i residents caused the rest of the Friendly Isle to suffer. After a lengthy consultation with the community, Molokai Ranch agreed to turn over 50,000 acres to a public trust to maintain the open space lifestyle of Moloka'i in exchange for the right to develop a high-quality residential project at La'au Point.

The loud activists caused the politicians to stop the project. Now 120 residents are without jobs and Moloka'i will not be getting the 50,000-acre trust and revenue in perpetuity from the development project.

A similar thing is happening with the OHA proposed settlement. The Senate is succumbing to angry activists. The settlement is a reasonable compromise. Leaders can never satisfy everyone. If the Senate does not like the settlement, then improve it but do not lose this golden opportunity like Moloka'i did. Life is fragile and full of examples of where an un-acted upon opportunity today becomes a forever-lost opportunity tomorrow.

Colette Machado
    Trustee, Moloka'i and Lana'i, Office of Hawaiian Affairs

Not quite the majority in favor of Ritte it seems.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Nords View Post
    You'll want to build it next to wherever they decide to put the cruise terminals and the SuperFerry pier...
    AND make sure you get the blessings from Walter.

I have to admit though, from a landowners standpoint, they were giving a lot away for this development. I think that was a decent compromise. Ritte to me was the one that didn't and in the end Molokai Ranch pulled out.

Now Walter Ritte and his group is asking the developer to come back to the table for more negotiations. I think it's a bit too late for that. You can only protest so far, after that it's not worth bargaining.

Good or evil, it was Molokai Ranch's call and they had every right to do what they did.

Leave a comment:

• Nords
    replied

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
    Now I know how I'll support myself in Hawaii. I'll open a theater on Molokai!
    You'll want to build it next to wherever they decide to put the cruise terminals and the SuperFerry pier...

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied

Originally posted by Random View Post
    Oh, great. Shutting down the only theater on Moloka'i. Never mind it usually takes an hour to drive from Kaunakaka'i to Maunaloa.
    Now I know how I'll support myself in Hawaii. I'll open a theater on Molokai!

Leave a comment:

• Random
    replied

The foreign-owned corporate-minded Moloka'i Ranch will always be the bad guy, and they just showed it this week.

They could have backed off or negotiate with the community, but they kept pushing and pushing for five years with no compromise in their master plan.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

This is liberal suicidal politics at its finest hour.

Libs protest the development due to the fact that it represents progress, change, employment, future, et al. Their dissent is successful and Molokai Ranch realizes it's hopeless and decides that it's just bad business on Molokai. So they decide to cut their losses and close up shop. 120 hardworking mothers, fathers, homeowners, renters, consumers, lose their jobs. (Do you feel sorry for the children? Or not?) The ripple effect will be terrific to every other business on Molokai. Of course, losing one's job is excellent in the eyes of any card carrying liberal. Then the government has to rush in to help displaced workers with unemployment, workforce development, and other government handout programs. Of course, the more the government spends money on any kind of welfare, and runs the lives of the people, the better libs love it. And now for the punchline.........Molokai Ranch is the bad guy, the libs honestly view themselves as altruistic and well intentioned, and the regular workin folk get the shaft, again.

I betcha nobody is angry at the lib protesters who could fairly be labeled as the bad guy in this debacle. Too damn funny.

As a sidenote, it is funny to me that Molokai protesters have successfully kept fastfood joints at bay. Then you drive around and see a Subway. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

I think in this case zero change is something good. Molokai is someplace very unique and special. I absolutely fell in love with the rural ambiance when I
    visited there last year. The La'au project would've negatively changed Molokai forever.

On top of that I don't think building 200 McMansions would've provided any long term economic relief to Molokai. The ranch's owners should've renovated
    the mothballed Kaluakoi Resort instead of trying to shove this illogical project down every residents throats.

In short, Molokai Ranch gambled that La'au would've been their silver bullet.But instead they miscalculated the huge community opposition to this divisive
    project. Because of the latter, now everyone suffers.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

I don't understand what everybody is so upset about. This is what the most vocal residents of Molokai want for their island. This should be viewed as wonderful news, especially by all the folks on Molokai who participated in the stonewalling. Victory is at hand. Why would Mayor Tavares or Councilman Mateo be critical of the outcome? As politicians, you would think they would be in favor of whatever their constituents desire. Folks on Molokai want to be stuck in a time capsule of total intransigence and zero change.

This is a perfect example of the old saw about Be Careful What You Wish For.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. ROFLMFAO

Leave a comment:

• Random
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    I don't understand all the hand-wringing about this announcement. If you say you don't want economic development in your community, how can you be surprised if developers pull out? People don't go into business to lose money on charity cases. If Molokai wanted to assert that life is better without a resort, then here's their chance to prove it.
    I'm hoping that MCSC would buy the Ranch out, even if it has to go at it by parcel.

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    I don't understand all the hand-wringing about this announcement. If you say you don't want economic development in your community, how can you be surprised if developers pull out? People don't go into business to lose money on charity cases.
    Molokai Ranch is owned by Hong Kong-based GuocoLeisure Ltd. It strikes me that perhaps they should have done due diligence before ever purchasing MR, and they would have realized that their development plans would run into the proverbial brick wall.

Well, time for your thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Da Rolling Eye
    replied

Bummer. Had a lot of fond memories of Kaluakoi and Maunaloa and hunting axis deer on MR land.

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

Molokai Ranch pinned their economic survival on developing La'au point. Which to me was a unwise proposition. They should've renovated the closed
    Kaluakoi resort instead. Which was a more appropriate course of action.

I don't think build a up scale subdivision with up to 200 McMansions can be construed as something appropriate for Molokai. La'au point is a very sacred
    area. On top of that water is very finite resource on Molokai. These 200 McMansions would be sucking up a lot of that precious resource.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

I don't understand all the hand-wringing about this announcement. If you say you don't want economic development in your community, how can you be surprised if developers pull out? People don't go into business to lose money on charity cases. If Molokai wanted to assert that life is better without a resort, then here's their chance to prove it.

Leave a comment:

• Konaguy
    replied

In a way this not surprising. When their proposed La'au point project ran into severe road blocks, it wasn't a question if Molokai Ranch was going to shut
    down but when. Nonetheless, this will have a extremely negative impact on Molokai, especially on the town of Mauna Loa. Which is Molokai Ranch's HQ.
    In short, Molokai Ranch was Mauna Loa town. A lot of their soon to be closed operations are up there.

My girlfriend is from Molokai. I visited over there about a year ago. So I'm very familiar with the profound negative effects this closure will have on Molokai.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X