Downward spiral in tourism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downward spiral in tourism

Perhaps this post is mostly meant for the people who are considering moving to Hawaii to enjoy "the good life". Come on over, as long as you have a job skill that does not involve the visitor industry [hotel worker, food & beverage server/manager, construction, printing & advertising, wedding planner, taxi & limo driver, time share sales, tour guide, tourist-type retail store, etc etc etc).

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/breaking/35025589.html

The state’s visitor count continued its downward spiral in October, falling 13.5 percent, as global economic conditions worsen, according to statistics released yesterday by the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism.

How is the downward spiral affecting other HTers? So far, my family is holding steady. But that is mostly due to my work not being overly dependent on tourism. I'm in sales, but work with mass buying where we can focus on more stable industries than tourism for our customer base. When I talk to neighbors and friends, it is amazing how many people's jobs are connected to needing a steady turn-over of tourists.

How is everyone else doing?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Downward spiral in tourism

i'm not affected by it - at least not yet - i harrass individuals and the likes for what they owe in a very polite yet disturbing and irritating manner

we took a drive out to waikiki just the other night - it was like a ghost town - never seen it before like that - shocking more than anything - i was almost afraid to get out of the car

how are those businesses surviving
    stay forever young

Comment

I think the sad thing was making Waikiki more for the upwardly mobile in the past several years. I think it must be difficult to fnd a reasonabley priced hotel there, where else on Oahu except for the hostels can you do reasonable?
      n'importe

Comment

Seriously! Why is there no Motel 6 or Best Westerns in Waikiki??
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
          An outsider's speculation - it's hard for national chains of any kind to set up outlets in Hawai`i, due to the costs and special circumstances involved. In this case, because of the "paradise image" of Hawai`i, bargain hotels don't really fit the equation. Most visitors want to be pampered in a way those motels you mention can't afford to do. Those chains don't get most of their business from spendy vacationers, but instead from interstate travelers who just need cheap lodging while on the road - a circumstance that doesn't come into play in Hawai`i.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            In addition to what Leo mentioned, the price of Waikiki real estate is astronomical. Motel 6 would need to become Motel 1006! 'Budget' and 'Waikiki' are completely antithetical!

Now, all you kamaaina; turn up your brain cells. Didn't there used to be a budget brand hotel either in Waikiki or along the gold coast?

Oh wait...there is a Holiday Inn on the mauka side of Ala Moana along the same stretch as the Ilikai and HHV. I know that's not in Waikiki proper but it is on the edge.

Comment

If I remember correctly the hotel on the corner of Lilioukalani and Kalakaua originally was a Holiday Inn.

Comment

And on the outer outer outer edge of Waikiki, there's a motel right next to the Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                  If I remember correctly the hotel on the corner of Lilioukalani and Kalakaua originally was a Holiday Inn.
                  The Captain's Table was there and often we'd go listen to Hawaiian music
                  there. One of my favorite times there was listening to Gary Haleamau
                  and watching his wife Sheldeen dance. Boy, could he yodel too!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                    The Captain's Table was there [...]
                    Meeeeeeeemories!!! When the old Kahala Hilton closed in the mid-90s, the long-standing house band at the Maile Lounge (Kit Samson's Sound Advice) relocated to the Captain's Table. My dancin' feet relocated with 'em...without missing a step! I'd forgotten that was once a Holiday Inn.

Wasn't there a TraveLodge (I think?) along the gold coast? Possibly in the building that's now the Diamond Head Beach Hotel?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      An outsider's speculation - it's hard for national chains of any kind to set up outlets in Hawai`i, due to the costs and special circumstances involved. In this case, because of the "paradise image" of Hawai`i, bargain hotels don't really fit the equation. Most visitors want to be pampered in a way those motels you mention can't afford to do. Those chains don't get most of their business from spendy vacationers, but instead from interstate travelers who just need cheap lodging while on the road - a circumstance that doesn't come into play in Hawai`i.
                      It's also possible that the few that want a room at a no-frills price range can find deals from the major hotels. A few years ago, I got a room at 50 dollars per night at Sheraton Princess Kailani. I was pleased with the arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                        It's also possible that the few that want a room at a no-frills price range can find deals from the major hotels. A few years ago, I got a room at 50 dollars per night at Sheraton Princess Kailani. I was pleased with the arrangement.
                        Very nice! I understand kama`aina rates still exist at some big hotels, if you ask right or know the right people.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Very nice! I understand kama`aina rates still exist at some big hotels, if you ask right or know the right people.
                          I always ask for and usually receive a kama`aina rate. My guess is, with the current economy, deals just might become plentiful, whether a tourist or a local. I spoke with an insider of the hotel industry last night and the majority of hotels' occupancy rates are down. Some are down as low as 18%.

Comment

Well the economic downturn may be a significant cause it doesn't help that we still have close or the meanest smoking ban in the county to help our visitors quit. While turning around the nations economy is well beyond our legislature's means, softening the ban up a little certainly is.

Discrimination and humiliation is NOT good for the hospitality business. The ban hit the hospitality business with a left jab two years ago and now the economy is giving it a right hook accross the face.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                              Well the economic downturn may be a significant cause it doesn't help that we still have close or the meanest smoking ban in the county to help our visitors quit.
                              Smoking regulation and economic prosperity are not related. There is over 35 years of statistical research that shows that smoking regulation does not in any way affect the bottom line of any business, including bars, if the regulations are uniformly enforced.
                              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                              X