Once a con-man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once a con-man

I'm just venting here. Today, as I utilizied my central vac system, I was reminded of my dealings with a "CON-MAN'S CON-MAN."

I had met this individual over two decades ago. He represented the worst aspects of the slimiest, fast-talking salesmen I have ever had the displeasure of ever being acquainted with. The kind of guy who would LIE, CHEAT, and DECEIVE to make a buck, far beyond any used car salesman I've ever met.

I saw him at a home show held at the Blaisdell Center sixteen years ago and talked with him about a central vacuum cleaning system as I was starting an extensive re-modeling project. My mistake was soliciting a bid from him in which he was going to give me a "fantastic deal" because he knew me.

Price-wise, it turned out to be true to the tune of several hundred dollars. But, as I've subsequently learned, there was a reason why as I've suffered non-working outlets due to short-circuiting. To cut corners, he substituted inferior generic components instead of the name-brand ones supplied by the manufacturer.

Although he passed away over a decade ago, I still suffer the effects of his deceit. I recently heard the name of his company, now run by his successors, mentioned in an investigation by the state for alleged deceptive trade practices.

I should have known better!

Re: Once a con-man

OceanPacific, My Dear, I'm sorry it happened to you. It has happened to me too. Con Artists don't have hearts. They are cruel and evil. Their objective is to make the the almighty dollar, break a heart, drugs, products or whatever their motive may be. It doesn't matter who they hurt and how they obtain it. They will lie, beg, steal and/or cheat to get it. A Con is a Con. Period.

Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      OceanPacific, My Dear, I'm sorry it happened to you. It has happened to me too. Con Artists don't have hearts. They are cruel and evil. Their objective is to make the the almighty dollar, break a heart, drugs, products or whatever their motive may be. It doesn't matter who they hurt and how they obtain it. They will lie, beg, steal and/or cheat to get it. A Con is a Con. Period.

Lynn
      My eyes leak to read the above. Of course we get Cons here and we are very street wise. Be careful cousins !

Comment

There can sometimes be a thin dividing line between a sharp but legitimate deal and a con. There can be scams that meet the letter of the law but are only thinly disguised theft. Wall Street...

Comment

My mistake was not trusting my instincts, but giving him the benefit of the doubt and steering my business to him. I was aware of several slippery manuevers he had pulled while working for a client of mine and later competing against him. I was trying to give him a break, but he still got the most he could out of me.

This "leopard never changed his spots." Under it all, he was still a shifty character of questionable "ethics." Like I said, I should have known better. The guys who service the system now are familiar with his tactics and showed me where the shortcuts were.

Comment

Everyone's a con. Don't con yourself into believing anything else.

Ethics are something we make up to justify our indignation at the behavior of others. Were you ethical in accepting the lowest bid?
            Last edited by salmoned; May 8, 2009, 02:24 PM.
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post

Ethics are something we make up to justify our indignation at the behavior of others. Were you ethical in accepting the lowest bid?
              ETHICS has nothing to do with this. It was the only bid I solicited other than looking at the retail price list provided by the system manufacturer's in-house dealer.

I had done this guy some favors in the past in squaring up his automobile insurance problems with the local authorities. Apparently, he was not of the mind to return any favors from his side.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                My mistake was not trusting my instincts, but giving him the benefit of the doubt and steering my business to him. I was aware of several slippery manuevers he had pulled while working for a client of mine and later competing against him.
                That should have been a red flag right there. But as you say, you were trying to give him a break. It was kind of you to give him a second chance, but human nature being what it is,..... if everybody was deserving of second chances, there wouldn't be repeat criminals in this world, right?
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                  Really? Say's who? You?!

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    That should have been a red flag right there. But as you say, you were trying to give him a break. It was kind of you to give him a second chance, but human nature being what it is,..... if everybody was deserving of second chances, there wouldn't be repeat criminals in this world, right?
                    Like I said, it's all on me as I should have known better. For example, he worked in sales for my client, the owner of ABC SOLAR. When he went on his own, he named his marketing company ABC SALES GROUP, taking advantage of the good reputation of ABC SOLAR. ABC SALES GROUP was not a solar contractor - they did not have a warehouse with collectors, tanks, plumbing supplies and they did not have installers. They would contract buyers, but the systems would come from different contractors. They also induced buyers with promotional give-aways like Las Vegas trips and referral incentives. ABC SOLAR would get bombarded with calls from customers looking for their travel documents. My client had to take this charlatan to court to have him cease-and-desist from.using such a similar sounding name in these business activities.

When I heard he had died, I did not shed a single tear for this crook. If he had asked me to pour a fifth of Chivas Regal on his grave as a testimonial, I would have done so only after straining it through my kidneys .......

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      When I heard he had died, I did not shed a single tear for this crook. If he had asked me to pour a fifth of Chivas Regal on his grave as a testimonial, I would have done so only after straining it through my kidneys .......
                      Boy, I LIKE that!

I contracted for a retaining wall of moss rock. Everyone said "Get a Tongan!" so I did. He promised 20' high 40' long, $20,000.

We got 18' high, 25' long for $30,000, and not what you would expect to get as a "Tongan Wall." (Uneven face, unfilled gaps)

This was over 15 years ago, when prices were lower....

It seemed too good to be true! (It was.) At least it still stands.

Then we found Lauhingoa, and all our new moss rock walls look like "Tongan walls."
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

This thread makes me think about other notorious con-artists in the past who have bilked the people of Hawaii.

Sukamto Sia (aka Sukarman Sukamto) - former Bank of Honolulu president and real estate developer who embezzled funds and wrote a bunch of bad checks to cover gambling debts in Vegas.

Ronald Rewald - Started a firm that used Big 5 names to rip off unsuspecting investors to support a lavish lifestyle. Claims that he was acting as part of a CIA operation did not save Rewald from being sent to federal prison.

Wiley Brooks - Offered a seminar back in the 1980s, where (for a hefty price) one could learn to live on just water and air, and not eating so much as a bite of food. And guess what? People actually came to his seminar! Later on, he was seen sneaking into a 7-11 buying Twinkies and junk food.

And of course, every few years, there's the scam artist teaching people why they don't have to pay their taxes to the IRS.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                          [...]
                          Ronald Rewald - Started a firm that used Big 5 names to rip off unsuspecting investors to support a lavish lifestyle. Claims that he was acting as part of a CIA operation did not save Rewald from being sent to federal prison.[...]
                          I remember when Bishop Baldwin Rewald Dillingham and Wong went up in smoke. Whatta headlining scandal that was! This follow-up is interesting.

Comment

REWALD "snowed" a number of cooleagues of mine, including two who worked for him. One guy then re-invested his commissions with BBRDW and ended up with nothing. I remember seeing him and two others departing the courthouse on a TV news clip and wondered how many of THEIR clients may have gotten sucked in based on their recommendations. Greed has no boundaries in cases like this.

Rewald also fooled some attorneys I know and for a time housed them with his palatial office complex.

Comment

Hmmm...Rewald musta been Hawaii's version of Bernie Madoff, on a bit smaller scale, of course!

Comment

Working...
                              X