Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you worked for an employment agency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you worked for an employment agency?

So I've been unemployed for a few months now. I need to make a small change to my career direction, but I'm not sure where to take it or how to get there. I've been thinking working for a temp agency might expose me to a wide variety of companies and people. Perhaps I'll bump into something interesting.

Have any of you worked for an employment agency? I've heard about Adecco and Kelly Services, here in Hawaii. Are you familiar with them?

Thanks in advance,
    MJ
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Have you worked for an employment agency?

Wow. Thanks for asking the questions.

Looking forward to the answers.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Kelly Services has been around for ages (didn't know they still were!). I've not heard of Adecco. There's also Altres.

I've not worked for an employment agency but my daughter did right out of college. It led to a full time job in the company for which she was temping. And, within a short time, that led to a career.

Good luck, MJ.

Comment

I've worked for several. When I was living out there, I applied for a few jobs with employment agencies. I got a really good one thru POI. They're downtown and a very small office, but they placed me right away.

The only downside to some of these places is that they get a LOT of applicants coming in and they don't always have enough jobs to give out. I used to be a recruiter for a small employment agency several years ago, and we had at least 10 people coming in everyday. But it never hurts to try!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

I worked for Kelly here many years ago and after a few assignments, mostly in banks, it eventually led to a permanent spot. I've always used the temp agency route to find a permanent job, gives you a chance to check everything out before committing yourself.

Comment

Hi MJ,

I started off in life working as a temp - worked for Kelley in fact. Once I got started, I was always employed when I was their temp. It was great - looking back, I should have stayed a temp. Pay was actually better and although I could lose my job any day, that was no different than a "permanent" job.

What worked to keep me employed with them was 2 things:
            1. I pestered my person at the agency every day with a polite phone call letting her know I was available.
            2. When a job ended, I was proactive in asking what I could do to make myself more in demand. And I did what they said.

Hope this helps!

Comment

tutusue: thanks for pointing out Altres, I'll check them out too. I'm glad it worked out for your daughter.

surlygirly: ah, POI, another place I can add to my list. thanks for the reality check. I'll manage my expectations.

Albert: glad it worked out for you. this sounds like a promising route.

Vanilla: yeah, there's no such thing as job security these days. thanks for sharing your tips and experience

Is it ok to sign up for more than one agency? Is that normal or frowned upon?

Any advice for what to beware of? Like if they do such-and-such, then head for the hills.

"By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "

Comment

I feel that temp agencies are a mixed bag, but mostly positive. My own experience (with Olsten) was negative, but I think that was because of my own peculiar situation.

One thing I would suggest would be to use a temp agency only if you are not on unemployment or are close to losing your unemployment insurance. The requirements for unemployment insurance and the requirements for a temp agency sometimes work against each other. I signed on at a temp agency early on while I was receiving unemployment checks. I was offered a job by the temp agency and accepted it. It was what I was qualified for and a job that interested me. After the gig was over (in a few weeks), the employer offered to hire me as a permanent worker, but in a very different position, one that I did not want to accept. But if I refused, I would lose unemployment benefits. So I accepted the position, and hated it. Hated it so much that within a couple of months I quit. At that time, I was receiving partial unemployment, because the pay was way below what I used to earn. But after I quit, I lost unemployment benefits altogether. Luckily, I found a job soon after, which I loved and which I am still employed at. One of the reasons why I quit was that I needed the time to search for a job that I really wanted. And it worked! It was the right decision.

But if you are not collecting unemployment checks or are close to losing your unemployment benefits, then temp agencies are the way to go. I’ve heard of many good results, many good experiences, and it does give you a feel of the employment situation. But it’s only good if you have the freedom to choose what’s right for you. My own experience was probably an unfortunate, isolated incident.

MJ, I hope things work out for you. I really do. I’ve been there, and I know how that feels. (Should that last phrase be included in “Annoying Phrases” thread?)

Comment

Jeez, Honoruru, I would've never thought about the impact of temping on unemployment insurance. What an interesting read and glad everything worked out for you.

Comment

As a nurse, Hawaii was the first place I ever worked for temp agencies. I signed up for three different agencies over a two month period. The first, no work (well, I was kinda picky.) The second was Altres, and they kept me busy. The third one led to my current job, and I still am on their books "just in case."

Got any nursing skills?

Comment

About fifteen years ago I was listed with Olsten. I got about three one-day jobs through them. One of them was interesting, though: I served on a mock jury for a law firm trying to game out its courtroom strategy.

(Past performance does not guarantee future results. Your mileage may vary.)

I recently e-listed with Accountemps, but I've heard nothing from them. I may not have done everything they need to help me out, though. I should call them.
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                        I recently e-listed with Accountemps, but I've heard nothing from them. I may not have done everything they need to help me out, though. I should call them.
                        its possible there are just too many looking than there are assignments available. maybe try several agencies..

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                        I feel that temp agencies are a mixed bag, but mostly positive. My own experience (with Olsten) was negative, but I think that was because of my own peculiar situation.

...snipped...

One thing I would suggest would be to use a temp agency only if you are not on unemployment or are close to losing your unemployment insurance. The requirements for unemployment insurance and the requirements for a temp agency sometimes work against each other.
                        i agree a lot with this. My situation was similar. Had marketing guru job until april 09. Oddly, 3 weeks prior I took a little "3 night per week and one saturday or sunday" telemarketing job completely different from my field, i took it to pay off a tax billl only intending to do it for about six weeks.. I was then laid off from markering guru job but still had that little part time job. That little horrible PT job became part of my package so i could NOT leave it for else it would jeopardize my benefits.

(writing this for the benefit of others who may be reading and in same situation)

With Unemployment , you can collect your FULL WEEKLY BENEFITS and keep up to $150 per week from a part time job. anything over 150 gets deducted from your weekly check. Fair enough. My new evening telemarketing job manager knew that I had to accept all work offered. that is the key phrase. "all work offered" and since they were a 7 day a week operation, they knew I was at their mercy to had to accept ANYTHING they offered, whether it was last minute, or sat and sun 9am to 9 pm extra shift (24 hours in 2 days!! ).Me andthis other woman were worn ragged some weeks being the only two there on UI. we could never plan anything for just in case the manager wanted us to work say a thursday when we were not scheduled to do so. there were weeks i worked 4 hours per day 4 week days plus both sat and sun 8 to 10 hrs each. Normally in a job that was more inline with me, that would be alright, but pounding a phone dialing numbers for that amount of time sitting in a sweat shop call center was hard on my psyche. I could not quit this job.

You cannot quit any job while you are on unemployment. Part time or anything. Or you will lose your benefits. You can, however, quit if it is within "good cause". which generally means something better, or physical or mental harm or something like that.

I knew in my situation, my only way out was to 1. get a full time job and be off UI. Not easy right now in the marketing/graphics arena. 2. Have them let me go/lay me off out of no reason that I caused. It would still have to be investigated, so benefits would be on hold until they made a decision you did nothing wrong. or 3. Find another part time job that was better in all ways. ie. your line of work, more hours and more hourly pay. That way UI will be in your favor that you are moving to a better situation for you (and for them because they'd rather pay you less and have the other company pay you more).

I luckily found a law firm that was in need for about 5/6 hours per day mon thru friday while they regrouped and got back on track. More in my line of work, more hourly wage and that satisfied UI so I could still collect UI with this new PT job. I am still looking for full time and continue to apply, and if this company desires to hire me full time, they will make an offer. I am not entirely sure if I have to accept if it is "below" the yearly annual wage I set when Unemployment took my detalis. If i told them 35k per year and this job offered 28K per year, I dont believe I would be required to accept. I am not sure about that. But obviously if I get to the point where my UI is running out, then that changes what I must do. I definately WANT a full time job in my field and maybe this new law firm job will work out to my advantage.

Talking to Ui is very difficult and you really do not get a straight answer. Me and another friend who was on UI always say we would never again get a PT job while on UI unless we absolutely LOVED it and were treated decently. Obviously we all have differing needs and sometimes a PT job helps immensely. I was fortunate to have reduced my rent, and bills so I could get by on "just" unemployment. But it is my understanding in accepting a job, you are only required to accept a Full Time job that is within reason of your pay scale you submitted to UI and is within your line of work. Ie.. if you say you will accept no less than 30k and want a teacher position/education, you aren't required to accept 25k doing data entry.

sorry, to write so much, just hope it helps someone in a similar position or who is looking to supplement UI. you can collect your full UI and keep an extra 150 per week doing a pt job here in Hawaii. But you cannot quit it once you have it. You can only quit it if you have a better pt job to go to. You cant quit it then look for another . Literally you have to transition from one to another within a day or two. make sure its a PT job you like or really need and you still have to look for full time work and keep your list of contacts. I knew this because i was trying to get out of that bad telemarketing job and either find full time work or a better part time job.
                        n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post

One thing I would suggest would be to use a temp agency only if you are not on unemployment or are close to losing your unemployment insurance. The requirements for unemployment insurance and the requirements for a temp agency sometimes work against each other...
                          Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
                          i agree a lot with this. My situation was similar...
                          WOW. I'm learning things in this thread that I'd probably never have known otherwise.
                          This could end up being very useful info for a lot of folks!

A big MAHALO to everyone for sharing your experiences so far... especially Honoruru and Kaukura!
                          To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Interesting piece in today's Star-Bulletin featuring Signe Godfrey, the owner of Olsten Staffing Services.

The subtitle summarizes:
                            The owner of Olsten Staffing Services helps people find jobs, both temporary and permanent, but it hasn't been easy lately
                            Here's a link to the complete article: http://www.starbulletin.com/editoria...e_Godfrey.html
                            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone for sharing your personal stories and advice! HT folks are a helpful and caring bunch :_)

Sorry to hear about how that employer took advantage of your unemployment, Honoruru. Thanks, Kaukura, for expanding on Honoruru's warnings about UI status. I'm sure your detailed post will help many of us HTers.

Thanks for linking that article, Musubi. The interview questions / answers were informative.

cyleet99: Haha, no nursing skills, but I've recently started doing hospice volunteer work. I worked with two nurses. It was very rewarding, but of course volunteer work isn't the same as doing something as a profession. I imagine nurses are over worked these days.

Here's a list of employment agencies HT'ers have mentioned in this post so far:

Addecco
                              1001 Bishop St # 2370
                              Honolulu, HI 96813-3480
                              (808) 533-8889

Kelly Services
                              1100 Ward Ave # 1020
                              Honolulu, HI 96814-1610
                              (808) 536-9343

Altres
                              967 Kapiolani Blvd
                              Honolulu, HI‎
                              (808) 791-4969‎

POI
                              801 Alakea St # 212
                              Honolulu, HI‎
                              (808) 792-2007‎

Olsten
                              900 Fort Street Mall # 1200
                              Honolulu, HI‎
                              (808) 523-3313‎
                              "

Comment

Working...
                              X