Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HMSA Rates Going Up Again

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    [...]And do keep in mind,.... people tend to need more health care and medication as they get older. Do you really think it's a good idea to have older people (many of whom may be retired and on a fixed income) shoulder an increasingly heavier load on health insurance premiums as they get sicker and sicker?[...]
    Depending on how you define older...and I do fall into that category ...Medicare kicks in and us ol' futs can drop our private policies. My monthly Medicare policy cost is waaaay lower than my previous HMSA small business, group policy. Just my experience!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Depending on how you define older...and I do fall into that category ...Medicare kicks in and us ol' futs can drop our private policies. My monthly Medicare policy cost is waaaay lower than my previous HMSA small business, group policy. Just my experience!
      For some, Medicare coverage provides a greater "bottom-line" benefit than when they had a private plan. But not everyone. I guess it all depends on what kind of private medical plan someone had while they were working.

But it's not just older people that have chronic medical conditions. Children can have ailments that require very costly treatments. For those single folks, couples, or parents who enjoy good health, it's easy for them to demand premium "discounts." But if those discounts are passed on as "expenses" to those less fortunate familes who have sick/ill children, well, I think the problem is obvious. For those folks who have had healthy kids up till now, count your blessings. But imagine for a moment if the next precious keiki born into your ohana had some kind of complex medical issue that suddenly wiped out your family's "good health" discount. Lemme tell ya. Receiving the news that your child is seriously ill is hard enough to take without the added blow of simultaneously having to deal with an inflated premium.

As I said, it's one thing to have a careless driver be saddled with paying higher auto insurance premiums as a response to causing accidents and/or racking up traffic tickets. Those people have only themselves to blame for their added expense. But should a family be likewise penalized because Junior Boy was born into this world with a host of medical ailments that required costly hospitalization? Think long and hard about that scenario happening to you or a family that you care about.
      Last edited by Frankie's Market; July 21, 2010, 04:17 PM.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Actually I have given this some thought.

Our Declaration of Independence says it all
        We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
        Right to life in my interpretation doesn't include the right to cheap healthcare. If you choose to live an unhealthy life, have unhealthy habits or have an unhealthy diet with little exercise and activity, then you should have to pay more for your healthcare than the next person.

In Hawaii, the vast majority of insurance plans are employer plans. You think it's fair to work with a bunch of old folks and thusly have to pay an outrageous amount for your family coverage?

I think everyone who has health coverage should be required to have a PCP, go to regular checkups and maintain a specific but generous body mass index rating. You choose to eat unhealty, I shouldn't subsidize your health premuims. You choose to smoke, I shouldn't have to subsidize your health risks. Make smoking a deal killer for health insurance. You smoke, you are uninsurable for any medical conditions related to smoking.

Older folks who have tried to lead a health life can get more of a subsidy from the carriers.

Maybe single parents catch a break since they can't exercise. Poor folks need a nutritional option that includes healthy dietary options. If more of our money were focused on prevention and promoting healthy behavior on an individual level, we'd all be better off.

I don't think it'd be right to penalize folks with birth or genetic conditions but we should rate folks on health metrics that are controllable and behavior related.

Bottom line. No one - including the government or big insurance companies can or should be able to tell you what you can eat, drink or smoke. Likewise they shouldnt be able to tell you if you have to exercise or live an active lifestyle. But - if you choose not to be healthy and eat healthy, don't expect to have cheap access to healthcare - or even access to healthcare related to unreasonable activity.

Comment

This is an interesting discussion. Everyone is presenting valid points worth considering. So far the discussion has been respectful and let's keep it that way. I would like to see the discussion continue, so present your best perpective on this.

I love my Medicare. I have led a relatively healthy life with sensible diet and exercise. But recently, a health issue came out of nowhere and bit me in the 'usi. Thank goodness for an inexpensive, comprehensive medical plan!
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...e-outsourcing/

Sorry, but when I hear a certain foreign accent. I assume that it's a scam.

Comment

Working...
            X