• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TuNnL
    replied
    Re: Facebook Fate

Originally posted by Serenity View Post

I heard a commentary on that instagram that people use a lot on Facebook
    Frankly, I never understood this craze with "Instagram." If I want to post a photo on Facebook, I'll just post it - no third-party 'app' needed. The Myspace generation is trying to "prettify" fb, with very limited success. I seriously doubt there was any real benevolence on the part of Instagram backtracking. It's cold, hard dollars and cents. Sooner, rather then later, they will figure out how to best harvest the content people are uploading for commercial gain. The Cloud isn't free.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

There was an update in Instagram's terms of service, set to take effect in mid-January, that said IG would be allowed to use your photos for such purposes, 'though the actual intent was probably not as evil as it sounded.

There was an uproar, though, as there often is on FB, and IG changed its terms of service to something a bit more reasonable. You can read the details here.

Leave a comment:

• Serenity
    replied

So....

you all use Facebook? or at least some of you???

I heard a commentary on that instagram that people use a lot on Facebook, that instagram uses your own photo that you take & post, & uses it for their own gain &/or some sort of advertisements.

If I am wrong, or if you have heard differently, please do say so.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Leo, I hope you reconsider.
    2013 may be the year I do so - as I get back into producing records, it's been strongly recommended to me as a promotional tool.

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Simply because I know my personality and its addictions, and I WILL spend too much time there. [...] I just can't allow myself to spend that much time at the computer - it will draw me from other things in life that I must focus on. (I have avoided getting a smartphone for the same reasons, though I know it works against me in a number of ways.)
    Leo, I hope you reconsider. Yes, it does take a great deal of discipline to avoid wasting time on facebook, but the social networking value outweighs it by far. Let’s face it, twitter is a “celebrity wanna-be thing,” myspace is dead, and linkedin just hasn’t taken off the way the business community thought it would. Facebook is the “end all be all” network and there’s no sign of a slowdown in it’s global reach.

I am fortunate in my current employment, we aren’t allowed to use our smart phones (or have them visible) on the clock and our work computers don’t have internet access, except to certain work-related websites. Anyhow, I hope 2013 is the year you take the plunge for both facebook and smartphones. I recommend Google’s Android!

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/facebo...225527721.html

Good or Bad idea?

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Are you guilty of looking for someone's Facebook page after he/she appears on the news being accused of a criminal act?
    Would you have that person's back and still be his Facebook friend or dig out?

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Are you guilty of looking for someone's Facebook page after he/she appears on the news being accused of a criminal act?

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Facebook fate is an oaken staff.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

Simply because I know my personality and its addictions, and I WILL spend too much time there. I'm not so worried about all the privacy concerns, as it's too late for me to pull back from all the "out there" that I've already done. I just can't allow myself to spend that much time at the computer - it will draw me from other things in life that I must focus on. (I have avoided getting a smartphone for the same reasons, though I know it works against me in a number of ways.)
    the privacy concerns can be taken care by your individual settings. on my page - if you aren't my "friend", you can't see anything. I have a very small friend list and I go on once a day, check my latest entries and then leave. It often takes the place of HT (psst Ron - here's a clue) and doesn't take that much time. I've gotten in contact with family members and old friends that I haven't talked to in years and its been great. You might give it a try = you can always quit if you dont like it.

Leave a comment:

• pzarquon
    replied

I'm active on Facebook. I dislike Facebook.

I often describe it as a crappy restaurant that all my friends go to. Maybe I just don't share the same tastes in decor or cuisine, but I'll go, because the people I like hang out there. I'd rather that critical mass of real people who mean something to me amass elsewhere, but for now, stopping in regularly is a necessity.

I have friends and family with whom I can't interact EXCEPT via Facebook. It annoys me to no end.

It's a walled garden. It's a closed system that's taking everyone's comfort in being "hidden" and slowly turning it into a giant jail where everyone's naked. It's AOL 2.0. And we've been here before. The best part of the disastrous IPO is that it finally became clear that it'd actually be possible for the massive behemoth to tumble and crumble.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    Leo, why do you not want FaceBook? Just curious as many of us HT folks are on there.
    Simply because I know my personality and its addictions, and I WILL spend too much time there. I'm not so worried about all the privacy concerns, as it's too late for me to pull back from all the "out there" that I've already done. I just can't allow myself to spend that much time at the computer - it will draw me from other things in life that I must focus on. (I have avoided getting a smartphone for the same reasons, though I know it works against me in a number of ways.)

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

Is it time for me to finally sign up for Friendster? (I'll use my Netscape browser to do so.)
    Leo, why do you not want to use FaceBook? or anyone else for that matter. Just curious as many of us HT folks are already on there.

Leave a comment:

• Serenity
    replied

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    Uh, ever hear of MySpace?
    I think majority of people are into Facebook, & the once in Myspace are rarely/hardly there anymore (if any, only a small percentages), if not Facebook, possibly in other sites such as myYearbook, friendsters, etc. Although, I can say 2 things about Myspace that Facebook does not have, is the ability to place a nice wall paper in the back ground that everyone can also enjoy not only the person who picked the wall paper, & the ability of a software in Myspace which you can see if your friend(s) have seen your email/messages that you sent them, etc. Facebook, does not have that capability. In Facebook, if you send them a message, & they don't reply, you will never know if they saw it, or read it at all, unless they reply back.

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

New stock price low at $28.65 today. And we've yet to see shareholders who can't unload till their 3-month and 6-month lock-up periods are lifted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X