Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
    I been looking around this board for a few days and this looks like the most active thread[...]
    For the time being! Subject to change, of course!
    [...]Why can't these big mainland companies sell themselves to the publuic by doing something innovative instead? Like how about staying open 24 hours, or having the drive throughs? That would be new for Hawaii and really cool and probably enough to get a loyal customer base.[...]
    Sounds like Walgreen's will offer 24 hours and drive thrus. How 'bout they get real ambitious and offer...DELIVERY (free or otherwise). They'd get my business when their first door opens!

Comment

• Re: Check out this story HT users

That's already been addressed...and answered...within the thread, SoG.

Comment

Originally posted by GiftedThunder View Post
        The problem with that is that you only hear about the 2 hour waits for a prescription. If you go to Walgreens or Longs or any pharmacy and get your prescription on time, why would you go tell people? You expect it. You only hear about people who don't get it on time because we are naturally impatient. Walgreens who don't get your prescriptions ready on time don't have them ready because of the people that work there, not the store itself. with the all the tools they've implemented to streamline the filling process such as automated scales, their pharmacy system that is linked world-wide, etc, the only excuse for not having something ready is the people that work there didn't fill it in time.
        I think in your over-zealousness to convince everyone on this board that Walgreen's system is "foolproof" against delays, you did not take the time to carefully read and comprehend the post that was written by the pharmacist in the link that I cited. Many of the factors that he listed were things that were out of the pharmacy's control and, in many cases, were caused by the customers themselves. The problems and the pitfalls that he mentions are things that can happen to any high-volume pharmacy, not just one particular company. (Unless they hire more manpower at the pharmacy counter.)

People will shop wherever they can get their prescription the fastest for the cheapest. Since most people have insurance, your co-pay will be the same no matter where you go, so it all comes down to wait time. So the question really is, Who can fill your prescription the fastest? Walgreens fills over 10 million prescriptions a month, how many do you think were filled on time?
        If you want to come onto this forum claiming that Walgreen's will somehow be immune to the kind of problems that were mentioned in the link and will consistently deliver prescriptions faster than Long's without any delays, fine. But talk is talk. We'll see how it actually turns out. And not just in the beginning when Walgreen's opens up and they're just trying to impress kama'ainas. I want to see if they can continue to consistently fill prescriptions promptly 2 years from now, when store operations have settled down and a customer base is built. Then everyone will decide for themselves who the winner is.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

This story appeared in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin on Friday. Apparently, Walgreens will NOT be taking the “kill the competition by sheer volume” approach that a major chain can sometimes do. With the announced scaling back of original plans, the final number of Walgreens stores will still be less then the number of Longs Drugs stores currently in business.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
            This story appeared in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin on Friday. Apparently, Walgreens will NOT be taking the “kill the competition by sheer volume” approach that a major chain can sometimes do. With the announced scaling back of original plans, the final number of Walgreens stores will still be less then the number of Longs Drugs stores currently in business.
            Sounds to me like thay are reading our posts!

representatives from Walgreens are confident that as they enter the market, they will set themselves apart by offering the new cafe, along with prescriptions in 14 different languages, full-time beauty consultants and competitive price points.
            That is much better than what I read previously from Walgreens execs and will be easier to accept. I might even shop there if they do something of value to me as a consumer besides undercut Longs. hopefully the cafes will make good milkshakes! (my ONE vice)

Comment

Well, I can guarantee that Walgreen's management knows of GT's postings here...and I DID wait a day, as promised.

Comment

Nah. More like Walgreens figured out they couldn't afford to employ that type of strategy in Hawaii. Land is too expensive here.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Well, I can guarantee that Walgreen's management knows of GT's postings here...and I DID wait a day, as promised.
                Patting yourself on the back for being a rat? Wow. Hope that works out well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  For the time being! Subject to change, of course!

Sounds like Walgreen's will offer 24 hours and drive thrus. How 'bout they get real ambitious and offer...DELIVERY (free or otherwise). They'd get my business when their first door opens!
                  Actually, Walgreens does Deliver, it's just not an advertised service because they want you to come inside and shop, just like every other place. Walgreens has drive-thru and 24 hour stores.

and just to clear things up for those skeptics, I am not employed by Walgreens anymore. I worked for them years ago as a Photo Technician. I decided to post on this chat because I went to Hawaii on vacation last month and there were no Walgreens there at the time, so I had to shop at Longs. I am not posting anything on here to try to get you to "buy stock" or "shop walgreens." I posted my personal opinion because I think a Walgreens in Hawaii would have been convenient for me when I was in Hawaii.

Comment

Actually, Walgreens does Deliver, it's just not an advertised service because they want you to come inside and shop, just like every other place. Walgreens has drive-thru and 24 hour stores.

and just to clear things up for those skeptics, I am not employed by Walgreens anymore. I worked for them years ago as a Photo Technician. I decided to post on this chat because I went to Hawaii on vacation last month and there were no Walgreens there at the time, so I had to shop at Longs. I am not posting anything on here to try to get you to "buy stock" or "shop walgreens." I posted my personal opinion because I think a Walgreens in Hawaii would have been convenient for me when I was in Hawaii.
                    Everybody believes you!

Comment

Actually, Walgreens does Deliver, it's just not an advertised service [...]
                      What is the delivery fee on the mainland?
                      [...] I decided to post on this chat because I went to Hawaii on vacation last month and there were no Walgreens there at the time, so I had to shop at Longs. [...] I posted my personal opinion because I think a Walgreens in Hawaii would have been convenient for me when I was in Hawaii.
                      What was inconvenient for you about Longs?

Comment

I like know too!

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          This story appeared in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin on Friday.
                          From the link:

Walgreens stores average about 14,500 square feet, and the latter two will be that size, offering a drive-through pharmacy. But the Keeaumoku Street store will be smaller, without the drive-through.
                          They're either going to have to have something really interesting or locate somewhere more convenient for me to shop there. Parking will still suck. That's one of the reasons I quit shopping at Tower.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            [...]They're either going to have to have something really interesting or locate somewhere more convenient for me to shop there. Parking will still suck. That's one of the reasons I quit shopping at Tower.
                            That's exactly what I was thinking! Having relocated to the ewa end of Waikiki when in town, Walgreens/Keeaumoku would be a convenient location. But, as you say, parking will remain a problem and the store won't have the drive thru so I can't foresee patronizing it. Long's Ala Moana is close by but I just can't get into finding parking in a large shopping center to shop at that very busy store. Been there...done that...last week! No more! So, for the time being, Safeway/Beretania will continue to get my Rx business (and groceries as long as I'm there) and when slothing in Makaha, it'll be Long's Waianae. I'd be surprised to see Walgreens locate along the Waianae coast and fully expect one in Kapolei.

Now...if Walgreens/Keeaumoku does, in fact, have a prescription delivery service then they might get a very small part of my business! And, if there was a small, mom 'n pop drug store at Eaton Square, to compliment the grocery store and post office, I'd be in hog heaven!!!

Comment

I like know too!
                              Walgreens delivers my prescriptions through UPS free of charge. They must either pay for it or have a deal worked out with them for free. I don't know if they do it for everyone or just disabled/handicapped people though.

Comment

I didn't have anything "inconvenient" necessarily except for the fact that I could not get my diabetic insulin at Longs since I did not have the original prescription, and had it been a Walgreens on the island that I stayed at, I could have had it transferred there instantly. I ended up just having to wait for my doctor to call it in, something I would have rather had to avoid.

Comment

Working...
                                X