X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Originally posted by alohabear
    Did O'ahu have a Wigwam? In Hilo I remember Wigwam next to Foodfair.

Hilo also had a Wendy's back when "Kaneala" owned them all( remember Danny Cash?). The old Wendy's in Hilo is now a Starbucks.
    Aiea had a Wigwam store, right where Koa Pancake House is now. It extended to the entire floor behind the pancake house.

All the kids at Aiea wore the exact same shirt on the first day of school!
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Regarding the Hawaii Convention Center:

Another sad thing was when Brooke Lee hosted Donald Trump's Miss Universe Pageant here. This was a year or two after her crowning of the title. Unfortunately none of the facilities in the newly built Hawaii Convention Center were large enough to accommodate the event, so they ended up taping it at the University of Hawaii Stan Sheriff Center.

That would have been the PERFECT free ticket TV ad for the then-new HCC. But it never happened.

So the HCC is now thought of as a "Jack of all Trades. Master of none".
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        Regarding the Hawaii Convention Center:
        [...]
        So the HCC is now thought of as a "Jack of all Trades. Master of none".
        Initially, wasn't there some silly rule that local businesses/events couldn't use the HCC? And, when the national and international conventions didn't come beating down the HCC's door, it was only then that the rules were changed? Or am I remembering this all wrong?

Comment

Queen's Surf!

Zebra Room

Brown Derby

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
            That was the "Lollipop Lounge" in Waikiki? I designed their logo! No, seriously!
            Blaine
            "POP!" Dee dum dum dum. Oh I can't get that song outta my head now
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The Jolly Roger on Kalakaua!! That was always our first breakfast when visiting Hawaii. I loved the thatched umbrellas...not to mention the banana pancakes with coconut syrup. We always made sure to sit in Doris' station. She was the waitress our first time there (I was 16) and my family fell in love with her. Whatta great waitress; so full of Aloha.

Fast forward...decades later (probably 40 years), I'm at a senior aerobics class; first day of the new session. A new lady joins the class, the instructor introduces her and stands her next to me. She and I talk story 'til class begins. Turns out it's Doris from the Jolly Roger...still full of Aloha, a true sweetheart! She walked to and from aerobics class...Waikiki to Moiliili and back and wouldn't accept a ride!

Comment

HONEY'S PLACE in KANEOHE

Originally posted by tutusue
                The Jolly Roger on Kalakaua!!
                I believe there was also one across Kahala Mall, under the freeway, just across the old Consolidated KAHALA DRIVE-IN THEATER. Where there were stories of the WHITE LADY ghost who had no face in the bathroom mirror.

How about FARRELL's? I've had many small keed "fire engine siren birthdays" there! The Kaneohe location had a cool little game room in the back where I got my first hand at SPACE INVADERS, PAC MAN and GALAXIAN.

Speaking of which, the location of the former Kaneohe FARRELL's in Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center is also where HONEY'S PLACE used to be. As in Honey Ho, mother of Don Ho. I remember as one small keed the neon sign in the front.

Mom said Don used to work there as a waiter. Some of today's top names in Hawaiian music got their start at Honey's place. I think they had an upstairs apartment in that old building. My parents used to walk there from our house.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: HONEY'S PLACE in KANEOHE

I believe there was also one across Kahala Mall, under the freeway, just across the old Consolidated KAHALA DRIVE-IN THEATER. Where there were stories of the WHITE LADY ghost who had no face in the bathroom mirror.
                  [...]
                  You believe correctly! But the Kahala JR never had the ambiance of the Waikiki JR. In all the years I lived within walking distance of the former, I never patronized it. Must admit, I'd never heard any ghost stories about it, tho'! Zippy's is on that property now.

Another JR with charm was the one in Laguna Beach, Ca. It was there for decades and may still be for all I know. During junior and senior high school my friends and I used to sneak off campus for lunch and eat there...fries and a coke! That was before Laguna turned granola! I have no idea if there was any relationship between the JRs. Locally I think they were Spencecliff restaurants.

Comment

Pirate Bully Hayes, anyone, in Waiau, between Waimalu and Pearl City?

Not the one up the hill next to the freeway; the one when it was next to the Waiau junkyard and swamp, across from Hawaiian Electric power plant.
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Eye Eye Mate-EE

Originally posted by zztype
                      Pirate Bully Hayes, anyone, in Waiau, between Waimalu and Pearl City?
                      My friend used to always say, "No worry Bully Hayes".

I never questioned why he said that. But now that you mention it, that must be where he got it from.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Poke

I was ono for Poke today and thought about the businesses of the past who were famous for this.

In Kaneohe there used to be a place near Kaneohe Bakery called either SLOW POKE or BEER EXPRESS. I forget the exact name, but they always had the FRESHEST fish. Ono ono ono!

I heard RUGER MARKET, near KCC was bought out by new owners. Under the former ownership, they too were famous for awesome Poke.

Unfortunately WARD FARMER'S MARKET has come to an end. All that remains in this once happening Hawaiian food stop-over is a Shave Ice stand and Hawaiian Food Plate Lunch shop (Haile's I think). Marukai has expanded their square footage which now occupies about half of what used to be Farmer's Market. Marukai has awesome Poke, but takai desu.

The other end is occupied by Tropics Fish and Vegetable market (a great place in it's own right) and Tropics Take-Out Restaurant.

Hopefully when they redevelop Kaka'ako, they'll portion an area off for an open farmer's market.

When we were in Kauai, we tried this famous place near Kekaha. I forget the name, but was one Japanese name. They're still there.

Of course, Tanioka's in Waipahu is still goin' strong.

O.K. that's it. I'm headin' to the supermarket for some Ahi Poke now! I like 'em wit' Ogo, Shoyu, Mirin, chopped Ginger, Garlic and Green Onions. Broke da' mout!
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Poke

I heard RUGER MARKET, near KCC was bought out by new owners. Under the former ownership, they too were famous for awesome Poke.

To me, the previous Ruger Market owners made THE BEST poke around, but the last time I went there a couple of years ago, I couldn't believe how takai (expensive) the shoyu onion aku poke was at $18/lb.!! So I only bought 1/4 lb. and ended up licking the plastic container clean.

Unfortunately WARD FARMER'S MARKET has come to an end.
                          Tell me this isn't so! Farmer's Market rocked as a one-stop anykine Hawaiian food place to find grinds. And speaking of poke, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the Sam's Club on Ke'eaumoku St. has a counter that sells all kinds of poke that is freshly made right there in the store, and the poke was really ono too.

Comment

Re: Poke

Whoah man. $18/pound for Aku Poke?!

Never mind just licking da' plastic container. I would eat that too, plus da' plastic bag that it came in!

But yeah, for the most part Ward Farmer's Market is no longer. It's pretty much dilapidated.

Tropics next door has some good deals on Poke. Marukai (on da' left side) is good too, but more expensive.

Or, like you said, Sam's Club on Koreamoku is a good option. Also check out Daiei on Kaheka.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

How about FARRELL's? I've had many small keed "fire engine siren birthdays" there! The Kaneohe location had a cool little game room in the back where I got my first hand at SPACE INVADERS, PAC MAN and GALAXIAN.

Speaking of which, the location of the former Kaneohe FARRELL's in Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center is also where HONEY'S PLACE used to be. As in Honey Ho, mother of Don Ho. I remember as one small keed the neon sign in the front.
                              IT was the Waialae Drive In and the ghost story was valid only at Midnight.

Farrells was also in the Kahala Mall (formerly the Waialae Shopping Center) and if you could say their tongue twister (on a Friday afternoon) without failing you'd get a free peppermint candy stick: Farrells Features Fabulous Foods and Fantastic Fountain Fantasies For a Frollicking Fun Filled Friday afternoon.

They had the Zoo which was slab upon slab of their ice cream with colorful plastic monkeys stuck on them. Farrell's in the Kahala Mall was where Pizza Hut is now located.

One place I haven't heard mentioned is Ferdinand's in Waikiki. It was next to a miniature golf course and both fronted Kuhio Avenue. The property is now/was the Kuhio Avenue side of the International Marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                                You believe correctly! But the Kahala JR never had the ambiance of the Waikiki JR. In all the years I lived within walking distance of the former, I never patronized it. Must admit, I'd never heard any ghost stories about it, tho'! Zippy's is on that property now.

Another JR with charm was the one in Laguna Beach, Ca. It was there for decades and may still be for all I know. During junior and senior high school my friends and I used to sneak off campus for lunch and eat there...fries and a coke! That was before Laguna turned granola! I have no idea if there was any relationship between the JRs. Locally I think they were Spencecliff restaurants.
                                The Waialae Jolly Roger's was formerlly the Mynah Bird Drive in owned by Kenny Kaneshiro (same as in Kenny's Coffee shop). The Jolly Roger's was known for their onolicious Suzie Q and the Porky Boy. Both had thin-sliced teriyaki meat and onions with plenty of mayo on a toasted sesame seed bun. The Suzie Q had melted cheese and was wrapped in a yellow paper wrapper.

Jolly Roger was also the home of the infamous slush and the slush float. Kenny Kaneshiro invented the drink and the name. The strawberry and the grape slush and slush floats were the best on a hot day and it beat out Icee anyday.

What killed that JR location was when in the early 70's around 1971-72 the Waialae overpass was built extending the H1 to the corner of Ainakoa and Kalanianaole Highway. Before the overpass was built, the H1 abruptly ended right at Hunakai and Waialae Avenues. Soon the exhaust gases from passing cars both over and under the viaduct was too much for eating patrons to handle. The pidgeons that roosted on the tall roof of the drive in left because of the noise from the overpass.

Comment

Working...
                                X