This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Here's an interesting snippet about the Hygienic Store from a recent city planning report.

While plantation agriculture expanded through the region, parcels that were not occupied by the plantations supported various ranching and dairy farming enterprises like Kahalu‘u’s Hygienic Dairy, which was established in 1907. The Dairy opened a company store, the Hygienic Store, to serve the Kahalu‘u community and provide a variety of goods and services for its workers. The Hygienic Store remains an important community landmark to this day.

(Kahaluʻu Master Plan: Background Report, December 2005)
    In fact, many of the city planning department's reports have cool stuff like this in them.

Comment

Thanks Glen ! I don't usually like reading government reports but they do occasionally have really interesting stuff in them. It's just that I recall seeing the Hygienic Store every now and again from kid time days and I always wondered why it was called that

Comment

I'll never ever forget Ala Moana Woolworth. Imagine a 11 or 12 yr old watching his 49ers win the NFC championship over Dallas with "The Catch" in the bottom level in electronics with a whole group of people.
        Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Altivec
          I'll never ever forget Ala Moana Woolworth. Imagine a 11 or 12 yr old watching his 49ers win the NFC championship over Dallas with "The Catch" in the bottom level in electronics with a whole group of people.
          Which is now occupied by OLD NAVY.

I wonder if local kids today will say 10 or 20 years from now, "I'll never forget Ala Moana OLD NAVY. Imagine an 11 or 12 yr old buying those clothes we seen on those cheesy tv commercials... those were the days."

I was just in Tower Records across Ala Moana yesterday. For a brief moment I had this incredible deja vu of my High school years when I would stop by that same store to buy my LP records more than 20 years ago. It was like time stood still.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Has anyone found themselves in "The Keehi Dock Shop" during the last few years? It's the little store at the Keehi Marine Center Boat Yard. I used to be the Assistant Manager/purchasing Agent/Head Salesperson/Cachier during the mid-80's. What used to be a marine supply store for people working on their boats has become a sorry excuse for a 7-11. Truly sad.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Yeah I remember....
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

When exactly did Castle Park close? Was the place demolished afterwards or did it just sit there for a while abandoned before being torn down?

I was in Hawaii until 1986 and a McDonald's in Waipahu had a big playground with a Mayor McCheese jungle gym. I'm guessing from the way McDonald's changes their restaurants and playground equipment that it is long gone.

I remember a store in Mililani called Pay N Save.

Comment

• Re: Club 'n Nightlife from Oahu's Past

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  If anyone remembers a KHON TV2 story of a couple getting married in the Studebaker car inside the nightclub of the same name...guess what? That was me and my wife! That was one of my favorite night clubs where I Stacy Lowe used to work as a server. Now look at her. I'm still waiting for her to get up on that KGMB newsdesk and rock to some Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band in her mini skirt. Yeah imagine that! Boy am I getting old.
                  Heh, I don't have to remember the newscast story, I was there!
                  Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                    I think Party Center disappeared a long time ago. As a kid, that was my favorite place to buy authentic-looking fake dog kukae to give away as grab bag gifts in school.
                    Here I go chucklin again at some of the stuff I'm seein on this site..where have I been? No, I'm givin this one three smiley faces there!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      Of course...Arakawa's!!!!! Thank you. Now it won't be haunting me all day!
                      Remember the jingle, tutsue -

'Lets go down to Arakawas, Arakawas in Waipahu
                      _____ _____ bargain store
                      ______, _____, ____, at Arakawa's
                      Arakawa's bargain store.'

or something like that

Comment

Originally posted by mamapuleta
                        Remember the jingle, tutsue -

'Lets go down to Arakawas, Arakawas in Waipahu
                        _____ _____ bargain store
                        ______, _____, ____, at Arakawa's
                        Arakawa's bargain store.'

or something like that
                        Ya got me! I don't remember it!

Oooooh...Bob, you Creative1...where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                          I wonder if you guys remember a local 70's band that had a gig at Duke Kahanamoku's for years called "The Glass Candle", along with a group called "The Dimensions" that also played for many years in an International Marketplace nightclub whose name I can't remember right now. And speaking of Duke's, I remember going there to see a show by entertainer "Zulu" (Gilbert Kauhi, before he became famous as "Kono" on Hawaii Five-O). The show had a dramatic opening act with a young and muscular Kimo Kahoano opening the show as a macho-looking fire dancer dressed in hula kahiko attire tossing and juggling flaming torches high into the air.
                          I remember the Dimensions at Hawaiian Hut. They had a good sound. I went to see them. Their girlfriends used to come into Coco's where I worked, and wait for them. They'd come in around 4 or 4:30. The entertainers crowd was always our last rush and kept us hopping until 6 or so.

Does anyone remember a drummer named Dickie Chong Lee, of a band that played the International Market Place around the same time, '71, '72? He was also a magician, and got to be pretty good. I never saw his magic act, but I did go see his band once.

Back in '64, I watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan at his house, and screamed over them with my friends. Dickie was too cool to scream. Actually, I could've taken or left the Beatles then, but after 'Sargent Pepper' came out, I did get with the program.

Comment

Didn't the late Mackey Feary sing one of the Arakawa's jingles?
                            "There's no store like Arakawa's in all Hawaii nei." *rooster crowing SFX*

I don't know where the jingle was recorded, but it always sounded a bit muddy on TV ...

... sort of like the old "Kenny's ... at the Kam Shopping Center in Kaleee-heee" jingle. That one, as I recall, sounded like the tape wasn't quite properly cued before they dubbed it, as the beginning piano note had a small-kine "wow" or warble.
                            Last edited by Erika Engle; June 30, 2006, 06:59 PM. Reason: It's all good. Neva min'.
                            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Heh, I don't have to remember the newscast story, I was there!

It took me a short while to figure out WHO is Altivec...Hi Kevin...How's your mom doing?
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

A couple more!

* Daiei at Pearlridge
                                * Macadamia Nut Factory at Waikiki
                                * Paradise Park
                                * Sugar Shack at International Marketplace (those funky colored/layered sugar jars that we got for decoration)
                                * Rap Reiplinger (How come I come I stay you go?)
                                * Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies (downstairs Pearlridge by Long's)
                                * Mrs. Fields at Ala Moana, back when the cookies were huge and less than a buck...but I hear they're coming back to Ala Moana...weird...
                                * There was some frozen yogurt stand at Pearlridge too

How about a singing group called The Krush (1981)? I still have their album! LOVED those guys!
                                Did you ever notice that "What the hell" is always the right decision?

Comment

Working...
                                X