X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
    And there was a bar there very popular with the evening crowds, was it called Pearl City Tavern?
    PCT was nowhere near there, but that's certainly been covered here before. There is a bar there, next to the Safeway, called Sunflower Lounge. I know it's been that for a long, long time (I believe since I moved to the area in 1985).

Town And Country used to operate there cuz I used to go in there. Are they still in bizness?
    I remember that, too. They're not there anymore, but still doing business. I always lamented the disppearance of "pearl city, hawaii" from the logo.

Mr. Sub was no Subway but I went in there once w/ my mom. Btw, is QUIZNOS in Hawaii? Theres a lot of em here in California
    I remember the Mr. Sub; it wasn't very good. And yes, we have Quiznos.

MAGOOS PIZZA! ahhhhhhhh I liked them. I know they got reduced to one location which is Waikiki. Is it still there or long gone?
    One in Waikiki, one in Puck's Alley.

Pioneer Chicken, wasn't too keen on da chicken but I liked the desserts and freebies dey had

I hea DINERS stay gone or am I misinformed? And The Tire Shop I learned from Yahoo's Flickr turned into Starbucks and Jamba Juice? Wassup?
    Diners is still there, but it takes up about half the space it once did. And yeah, the Goodyear (or whatever it was) is a Starbucks and Jamba. It's a very large Starbucks, too. Kind of cool.

There was and I dunno if still stay a Pet Shop stoa. I used to play SPACE INVADERS ova dea and Video games were at DINERS too also!
    Still there.

ELEPHANT and CASTLE still there? Not shua
    It closed last year, auctioning off a lot of the cool stuff that made the decor memorable. I liked that place.

Then across there was a video store that I used to frequent. It was next to SUPERCUTS which became a sandwhich shop and from there I DUNNO. When it was a video store I rememba da adult stuff was in folders so dat kids lyke me no see dem.
    That was a good video store, when every neighborhood had one or two. I had membership there, too. That space was a Blimpie after that, and then a Lox of Bagels. I'm not sure what it is now.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

There used to be a very small hobby store in the Windward City Shopping Center. I seem to recall that it was in an area that was swallowed up by the current Ross Store. They used to sell model airplane kits and Matchbox cars. Every so often, my mom would let me pick out a Matchbox car and as I got older, I could pick out a Revell or Aurora model kit. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the shop.

Comment

Never went there, but a memory that just popped up was Consumer City next the Wigwam on Dillingham. The commercial had someone named Josephine. Kinda reminded me of Loyal Garner. She used to sing, "Come on out, to my place baby, I got a lot in store for you. Come out to Consumer City..." I forget the rest. I must have been about 5 years old when the commercial used to run.

Another jingle that I never forgot was the Fisher Hawaii song: "Come to Fisher Hawaii, next to Gibson's, Mapunapuna-Paa Street store."

Ooh, Gibson's, Skyslide...

I need to stop.

Comment

oh wow lau lau
          I nevah teenk dat dis one existed.... silly me

Scanning tru the replies of business long gone from hawaii

ahhhhhh dah good daze

Growing Up in Waimalu next to Waimalu Shopping Plaza I rememba...

(goin fr. SAFEWAY Which is still there and circling around)

- PAYLESS (not da SHOE company) and they had several locations on Oahu but they bowed out and got sold to Longs Drugs

- And there was a bar there very popular with the evening crowds, was it called Pearl City Tavern?

- Town And Country used to operate there cuz I used to go in there. Are they still in bizness?

- Mr. Sub was no Subway but I went in there once w/ my mom. Btw, is QUIZNOS in Hawaii? Theres a lot of em here in California

- PHONE MART! I always get the large sheets that had whateva current designs of the phone book used for ma books when I was goin to Waimalu Elementary school at da time.

- MAGOOS PIZZA! ahhhhhhhh I liked them. I know they got reduced to one location which is Waikiki. Is it still there or long gone?

- Pioneer Chicken, wasn't too keen on da chicken but I liked the desserts and freebies dey had

- I hea DINERS stay gone or am I misinformed? And The Tire Shop I learned from Yahoo's Flickr turned into Starbucks and Jamba Juice? Wassup?!?!?

- There was and I dunno if still stay a Pet Shop stoa. I used to play SPACE INVADERS ova dea and Video games were at DINERS too also!

- Another store that sold T-SHIRTS and they offered IRON ON GLITTERS of then 70's and maybe early 80's and they had a book of stickers too and which ever one that you liked you ask they clerk for them. And finally at the end is First Federal Bank and before they made another add on had the monkey cages! I no recall seeing monkeys there.

Then next to Waimalu Shopping Plaza was Newtown Sqaure I believe had.....

- HOFFMAN's VIDEO, the original teeny tiny location before they moved across from WAIMALU ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. I used to go to them a lot and the workers there knew me by name too also.
          They always had blow out sales of electronics goin on and I would splurge like there is nooooo tommorow.

- ELEPHANT CASTLE still there? Not shua

Then across there was a video store that I used to frequent. It was next to SUPERCUTS which became a sandwhich shop and from there I DUNNO. When it was a video store I rememba da adult stuff was in folders so dat kids lyke me no see dem.

- And I know that FIRST INTERSTATE BANK was there also. Used to have an account there and I dunno why cuz I had trouble maintaining one cuz I kept withdrawing $$$ from it. Yeah saad....

And there was someone talking about the ADULT PLACES
          My parents took me to this club in Downtown that featured Tranny Singers. I am suprsised that they got me in and I had no clue what was goin on but then again I must have been bored out of my gord to care.
          And my father took me to this eating place. Kinda run down looking. It think it was called Kapahulu something in Chinatown, They had the bes pipikaula cuz always broke da mouth for me. I loooooooved and my father always bought it cause he kno I liked it!

Just on the other end there was a Japanese Toy store name I foget and may have been mentioned already but I kno that my mom bought me a book written by RICHARD SCARRY which is still popular now. It's a picture book with animals as humans in every day life.

My parents hanged out at 2 bars "JAYS CORNER BAR" and the other one namewise I forget was walking distance . It's right next to the FARMERS MARKET also but anyways they served food too also. Pipikaula and Poi!
          Mmmmmmmmm.......
          I grew up in Waimalu Gardens where they widened the freeway. When we were small kids Waimalu Shopping Plaza wasn't even in existence. It was just wasteland and a chicken farm was there. We would ride our bikes there and play army. I remember it opening in 1975. My friend Myles Sato was the manager at that Pioneer Chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Senora View Post
            Anybody remember the old Andy's Drive in In Kailua (on Oahu) ?? I think they closed in 1999. I think the location is a gas station now. Can't remember the name of the street it was on (Oneawa, i think) Anyways there is a Mui Kwai and Jack In the Box on the same side of the street. My Grandpa used to take me there all the time after we would deliver flowers in Kailua, and I would always get the teri beef plate lunch and a fruit punch. I remember all the little sparrows, and sometimes mynahs, would come crowding around the tables, begging for little grains of rice. And the food was sooo ONO!
            Andy's Drive Inn is now Checker's Auto Parts. Checker's took over two old time drive-inns which is Andy's Kailua and Jolly Rogers Dilingham.

Comment

Has anyone gone to the Current site of Jelly's?....... I know where it is.
              Is it across from Waimalu Shopping Center I assume?
              Is the vibe similar to when it was when it was at their old locations?

- When it was across from the now defunct Tower Records was the begining
              - I frickin looooooooved when it was on Piikoi side of Ala Moana Sears! I always took advandtage of their clearance sale on VINYL *LOL* and ppl showed up would rummage thru the boxes of records and I always managed to find somethin good
              - Then they mooooooooved all the way down 5 blocks into that freaky space they were at.
              - Then they jumped all the way down to Market City near The Foodland
              from then on I assume they went to University which became Cheapos then they went afta............

At least down here in the Bay Area when I eva get in the mood to get the Jellys experience I got to AMOEBAS in San Francisco. I no lyke da one in Berkeley. Da place toooooo manini fo me

Comment

Has anyone gone to the Current site of Jelly's?....... I know where it is.
                Is it across from Waimalu Shopping Center I assume?
                Is the vibe similar to when it was when it was at their old locations?
                Jelly's "vibe" always tripped me out. Totally D&D GEEK CENTRAL. I used to hunt for used CDs once in a while at the Market City location (below Foodland, across Kaimuki High School). Their used CD prices were typically about $1 more than Hungry Ear Records (formerly across Tower Records on Makaloa st.), but the selection was good.

Also bought a few used computer software books from there for a song (look me, accusing others as being geeks! lol).

A typical conversation you'd hear in Jelly's is something like, "Do you think Stratford's Mystical Sword could take out the Magician from Blackwood Forest?".

What the ???
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

This late afternoon I walked back from the Pro Bowl at Aloha Stadium and as I eventually ventured onto King Street about 90 minutes later I noticed the old Kalihi Shopping Center is set to be demolished. There is a construction wall surrounding the shopping center, you can see the old bowling pin left from the old Kalihi Bowling alley because it is taller than the wall. I understand a car dealership next door is either expanding or a new one will go in its place. Sad. Does anyone have any memories of shopping there at the Kalihi Shopping Center when it was thriving? My mother in law swears Foodland used to be there years ago. When did the bowling alley close by chance?

Also......and kind of related....I just heard a rumor, though not confirmed that Kam Bowl's lease is soon to expire and it will close at the end of March. I wonder who owns the property and what they will do with it as the location is fairly good with Kapalama School and Kam Shopping Center across the street.....

KalihiBoy

Comment

I'm pretty sure there was a Foodland there. As far as bowling alleys, I think the question should be: How many bowling alleys are left on this island? If Kam Bowl goes, then I can think of only Aiea and Waialae Bowl, and whatever bowling alleys are on military bases.

Comment

Waialae Bowl is closing soon that is confirmed, I'm not sure when though. From what I was told many bowlers were going to transfer their bolwing league to Kam Bowl but that is iffy at this point.

Isnt there a bowling alley in Kaliua left?? I think Aiea bowl is where they still tape the bowling tv show I see sometimes. Fort Shafter has a bowling alley, I think Schofield does as well.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        Jelly's "vibe" always tripped me out. Totally D&D GEEK CENTRAL.
                        the old school Geek Central was a gamer store called the Legionaire in Kapalama on the second story of the Midas Muffler Building. There were a bunch of folks that were really into Star Fleet Battles back then. I recall getting my ass kicked in a psuedo fighter tourney back in high school. I think I was Klingon or Kzinti who sucked big time vs the Romulans who had Type F plasmas on PFs??? How fair was that???

Other Geek Central for comic book nerds was Aldamar the comic shop across Aala Park. That place was awsome pre-Jelly's days.

oh and anyone from Pauoa remember Lau Poo the small convenience store where the credit union is now?

Comment

Speaking of bowling alley's in Hawaii, this is a link, though I'm sure more are set to close in the near future:

http://www.bowling2u.com/centers/find_list.asp?m=s&s=HI

KalihiBoy

Comment

Talked to the folks at Kam Bowl this evening they are indeed closing Memorial Day weekend from what I heard. The place was already deserted tonight, I think they are staying open awhile longer to let the other businesses find relocation.

My uncle transferred his league from Kam Bowl to Fort Shafter, they are starting to play there this week and the bowlers I know at Waialae bowl said they will be closing too. So I wonder why the information hasnt been leaked to the media yet?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                              So I wonder why the information hasnt been leaked to the media yet?
                              Umm... KGMB had the story last week. Watched it and got bummed out.

But I can't remember the last time I actually went bowling.

Guess I'm not the only one.

Comment

Well Kam Bowl was also known for the ono Oxtail at the Kapiolani Cafe located there. I'm not familiar with the one near Waimalu. It doesnt say in the article that Kam Bowl and Waialae Bowl are closing but does state that in 2 years only 2 bowling alley's will be in business. I guess bowling alley's dissappeared like roller rinks did, drive-inn's and all those other fun things we did before video games and internet came along to kill time.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                                X