X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Re: Geek hangouts...
    Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
    the old school Geek Central was a gamer store called the Legionaire in Kapalama on the second story of the Midas Muffler Building.

Other Geek Central for comic book nerds was Aldamar the comic shop across Aala Park. That place was awsome pre-Jelly's days.

oh and anyone from Pauoa remember Lau Poo the small convenience store where the credit union is now?
    The last visit I made to Collector Maniacs on Waialae (about a year ago/still going strong today) , there were a few "Geeks" in there, carrying conversations about anime shows to the tune of "who could beat up who?/who had the most effective weapons". These (early 20's) guys were seriously debating too. Not just casually discussing it. lol

Just the other week I was at Toys 'N Joys across the street (now expanded!), where I asked one of the very helpful clerks advice on a PS2 game. Along with his advice was the fellah who had just got off work there. Both guys in their early 20's. I swear these guys LIVED and BREATHED video games. Between the two of them, they knew almost every character in the platform game I asked about, also pointing out other used PS2 games that were better. I almost needed a "Gamers' Dictionary" to look up the terms they were throwing at me.

Speaking of these type of shops, a coworker of mine used to be a regular at Just For Fun, which used to be located in Stadium Mall (near Ice Palace). Never been there, but by the profile of my coworker... it must have been a MAJOR GEEK hangout. lol Apparently they had lots of plastic model kits and paintable die-cast figurines (for rpgs).

There was another place in Ward Warehouse or Center that I can't remember the name. It was something like "-------- Dungeon" IIRC.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
      Well Kam Bowl was also known for the ono Oxtail at the Kapiolani Cafe located there. I'm not familiar with the one near Waimalu. It doesnt say in the article that Kam Bowl and Waialae Bowl are closing but does state that in 2 years only 2 bowling alley's will be in business. I guess bowling alley's dissappeared like roller rinks did, drive-inn's and all those other fun things we did before video games and internet came along to kill time.

KalihiBoy

Oh man Waialae Bowl was my stomping grounds as a kid back in the early 60's. That's sooo sad to see that place go. Kahala Mall has changed so much too. With Star Market closing down, the only original anchor tenant left will be Long's Drugs. That store has remained virtually untouched since it opened there except for the vestibule fronting the parking lot, everything is exactly in the same place it's always been.

A bit OT but the traffic walk lights at the corner of Hunakai and Waialae Avenue are the originals since the 60's as well.

Then there's the closing of Kam Bowl. OMG where in the world will we get the BEST OX TAIL Soup? I hope those owners of the coffee shop there move like they did when Aloha Motors was demolished.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well Kam Bowl was also known for the ono Oxtail at the Kapiolani Cafe located there. I'm not familiar with the one near Waimalu.
        KalihiBoy
        Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        OMG where in the world will we get the BEST OX TAIL Soup? I hope those owners of the coffee shop there move like they did when Aloha Motors was demolished.
        Besides Waimalu, the owners of Kapiolani Cafe opened a place on Ward Avenue (I never tried it). I can't remember its name, but the location was previously a Thai restaurant, and before that, a long list of various other restaurants. It's next to the tofu factory, just down from Kapiolani Blvd. But for my money, the Aloha Motors Kapiolani Cafe was da best!

As for bowling alleys, my home lane used to be Aiea Bowl (I did bowl in one league at Waialae; it think was considered a money league). Many memories of Aiea Bowl (and Waialae, too), but I got to confess, I haven't been to any bowling alleys in decades. I guess I'm partially responsible for the death all these lanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          Besides Waimalu, the owners of Kapiolani Cafe opened a place on Ward Avenue (I never tried it). I can't remember its name, but the location was previously a Thai restaurant, and before that, a long list of various other restaurants. It's next to the tofu factory, just down from Kapiolani Blvd. But for my money, the Aloha Motors Kapiolani Cafe was da best!

As for bowling alleys, my home lane used to be Aiea Bowl (I did bowl in one league at Waialae; it think was considered a money league). Many memories of Aiea Bowl (and Waialae, too), but I got to confess, I haven't been to any bowling alleys in decades. I guess I'm partially responsible for the death all these lanes.
          The one on Ward Ave is called Asahi Grill.

Comment

Well Kam Bowl was also known for the ono Oxtail at the Kapiolani Cafe located there. I'm not familiar with the one near Waimalu. It doesnt say in the article that Kam Bowl and Waialae Bowl are closing but does state that in 2 years only 2 bowling alley's will be in business. I guess bowling alley's dissappeared like roller rinks did, drive-inn's and all those other fun things we did before video games and internet came along to kill time.

KalihiBoy
            Besides the military bases only Leeward Bowl, Aiea Bowl and Pali Lanes will remain. I wonder which out of the three alleys will be next two years?

Comment

Pali Lanes in Kailua is closing too I read that somewhere, might have been in the article that was posted earlier. I think it is ironic that so many are closing all at once. I ran past the old bowling alley on Isenberg the other day and saw some homeless people sleeping on the front steps and some guys in the parking lot with some remote control cars. It has sat empty for over 5 years I think OHA owns it and hasnt decided what to do with it yet. As my wife was saying last thing we need are for these vacated bowling alley's to sit rotting away for years turning into a drug infested playground which Tower Records is starting to become. I assume Walgreens is tearing down that building or not??

KalihiBoy

Comment

Pali Lanes in Kailua is closing too I read that somewhere, might have been in the article that was posted earlier. I think it is ironic that so many are closing all at once. I ran past the old bowling alley on Isenberg the other day and saw some homeless people sleeping on the front steps and some guys in the parking lot with some remote control cars. It has sat empty for over 5 years I think OHA owns it and hasnt decided what to do with it yet. As my wife was saying last thing we need are for these vacated bowling alley's to sit rotting away for years turning into a drug infested playground which Tower Records is starting to become. I assume Walgreens is tearing down that building or not??

KalihiBoy
                I passed by Tower Video on the Kapiolani Blvd. side and they had a chain link fence surrounding the front property.
                Last edited by na alii; February 22, 2007, 04:11 PM.

Comment

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh dem good ol days....now recollecting memories of stores and other places...makes me realize one thing.....
                  BOY!!! I AM REALLY FEELING %*^%&&(&(* OLD!!!!!!!

Comment

• Re: Petland Ala Moana Closing

Looks like we're going to have to add Petland in Ala Moana Shopping Center to this list...
                    Petland at Ala Moana to close
                    The locally founded and independently owned store was one of the mall's oldest tenants, but couldn't agree with mall management on terms for a new lease, according to company owner Ken Matsui.
                    He goes on to say half of the store's 20 employees are expected to transfer to the larger Kahala location, which will remain open.

You'd think General Growth would be more lenient with lease rent on the old timers at Ala Moana. Guess not. Business is business. There's likely legal stipulations that force GG to charge the same price/square foot as any other tenant, whether old or new.

Over a decade ago, I spoke with the owner of a picture frame store that used to be located near the post office on the mall level below Long's. He pulled out of there because they were charging him $12,000/month, which he could no longer afford. And this space was not that big. I'd estimate no more than 12 feet in width by common store depth. Looking at today's lease price, that's probably "cheap".
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Chi Chi's
                      • Woolworth's in Ala Moana now it is occupied by Old Navy
                      • JcPenny's in Ala Moana now it is occupied by Barnes & Nobles Bookstore
                      • Wistera Restaurant- Soon to be a 7-11 and a gas station
                      • Burgerland on Monserrat Ave. - I used to work there before they closed
                      • Masu's Plate Lunch on Liliha Street
                      • Forty-Niner's in Pearl City
                      • Ranch 99- will soon become Palama Market
                      • Petland in Ala Moana- will soon be closing at the end of this month
                      • Liberty House
                      • Holiday Mart- now is Don Quijoite
                      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Adding to my other list:
                        • McKineery's
                        • Bowl a drome
                        • Tower Records
                        • Jelly's
                        • Music Mac
                        • House of Music
                        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

How about these adds from my high school/college days?

Stoplight
                          Club Mignon
                          Club Da Vinci's
                          Fantasy Island

Bobby's McGee's
                          The Point After
                          Pink Caddilac
                          Kengo's
                          La Mancha (uhh before my time but I remember hearing it was a big deal.)

Comment

More businesses to add:
                            • Grocery Outlet- now closed
                            • Star Market- Kane'ohe closed
                            • Star Market- Kahala Mall closed

Comment

Oooooh...bummers...
                              Add Hamada Store in Kakaako. It'll close within a month. I didn't shop there often but it was my 11th-hour-oops-I-forgot-to-buy-<fill in the blank> store. Such nice people, too. They've been there for decades.

bummers...Bummers...BUMMERS...

Comment

• Re: Big &amp; Small Business Memories

I wonder what happened to Bianelli's Pizza in Kona?

They had a great location in the Pines. Then moved to the old Ranch House right when the Kuakini Hwy was being widened to 4 lanes. (Big Mistake?)

Now they are out of business. It's a classic case of poor business decision making.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                                X