This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Another memory...Sunset Grill at Restaurant Row.

Comment

Walking down Kalakaua in Waikiki this weekend, I took notice that the infamous p@rn shop (can't remember the specific name) on the main strip (no pun intended) is GONE. This is the one across Planet Hollywood, just a few doors down before Cold Stone Creamery. It had salloon doors and provocative window displays. That place has been there for ages, sticking out like a sore thumb in an otherwise family friendly business environment. I have no idea what's going in there next. Anyone know the deal?

Also in the process of demolition is the shopping plaza (I can't remember the specific name of the plaza) across McCully Shopping Center. Former businesses in there included a Rent-A-Center, Bali (Indian) Restaurant, a pawn shop, liquor store, and an eyeglass store. Anyone know what's happening with that property? I hope not another glass condo!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Here's a blast from the past...

We were cleaning out some file cabinets at work the other day and came across this old Woolworth's ad, published in the Honolulu Advertiser on December 15, 1988!...

On the bottom of the ad it lists the then current locations at: Ala Moana Center (where Old Navy is now), Waianae Mall (where City Mill is now), Kukui Grove Center (Kauai), Kahala Mall, Pearlridge Center (on the bottom floor of Phase 2, near Long's), Downtown Fort Street Mall (Where Ross is now) and Maui Mall.

I can already smell the combined scent of new clothes, textiles, scented candles, popcorn and fried chicken.
        Last edited by Pomai; April 10, 2007, 04:09 PM. Reason: sp
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          On the bottom of the ad it lists the then current locations at: Ala Moana Center (where Old Navy is now), Waianae Mall (where City Mill is now), Kukui Grove Center (Kauai), Kahala Mall, Pearlridge Center (on the bottom floor of Phase 2, near Long's), Downtown Fort Street Mall (Where Ross is now) and Maui Mall.
          Heh. The Maui Mall location has now been divided up into a multiplex theater on one side and some County Service Centers on the other side! I used to go there for cheapo souvenirs and t-shirts.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

ummmmm whats occupying the old space NOW where Woolworths used to be in KAHALA and PEARLRIDGE?

Comment

Walking down Kalakaua in Waikiki this weekend, I took notice that the infamous p@rn shop (can't remember the specific name) on the main strip (no pun intended) is GONE.

The name of that place me thinks you are talking about is Susies....

Comment

Name of business I frequented a lot while I was on the islands.......

Dunno if its still there or long gone

It's a sushi place in Kaimuki that is directly across from the Kaimuki Park and I do recall there is a 7-11 on one end and a billiard place on the corner on the other side.....

What is the name of that place?

My mom who is longer living took me there a lot and if you are eating there they have booths/tables and huge windows you could look out of I believe is Waialae Avenue..........

Lots of memories for me sooooooo anyone know what was the name of this place?

Comment

Walking down Kalakaua in Waikiki this weekend, I took notice that the infamous p@rn shop (can't remember the specific name)[...]
                  Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                  The name of that place me thinks you are talking about is Susies....
                  Name of business I frequented a lot while I was on the islands...[...]It's a sushi place in Kaimuki[...]What is the name of that place?
                  My mom who is longer living took me there a lot[...]Lots of memories for me sooooooo anyone know what was the name of this place?
                  Oh...oh...wait! As we age, the long term memory is 'spose to be more accessible than the shorter term memory. It appears your memory is working in reverse, DW!

Couldn't resist! Thanks for the chuckle!

Comment

ummmmm whats occupying the old space NOW where Woolworths used to be in KAHALA and PEARLRIDGE?
                    Does anyone know the answer to his question, I'd also like to know when Woolworths at Fort Street Mall became Ross.

KalihiBoy

Comment

There have been a number of changes in the space that once occupied Woolworth's Kahala Mall. According to this, it's now Banana Republic and Champ's Sports...possibly others.

The directory doesn't show the complete layout so I don't know if those 2 stores extend as far back (ewa) as Woolworth's did.

Comment

Woolworth's Pearlridge is occupied by a hemodialysis center.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                          /snip I'd also like to know when Woolworths at Fort Street Mall became Ross.

KalihiBoy
                          According to the DCCA website, Ross Dress For Less, Inc. got its certificate of authority (to conduct business in Hawaii) on March 12, 2004 and named their officers in Jan. 2005. So I'm guessing the store opened in 2005. That seems right to me from when I can recall seeing the store there (but then senility is a terrible thing and entirely possible for me).

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                            According to the DCCA website, Ross Dress For Less, Inc. got its certificate of authority (to conduct business in Hawaii) on March 12, 2004 and named their officers in Jan. 2005. So I'm guessing the store opened in 2005. That seems right to me from when I can recall seeing the store there (but then senility is a terrible thing and entirely possible for me).
                            Hmmm...taking into account my "tutuness"...I remember buying shoes at the Fort Street Ross' in late 2002...and getting my Tuesday Senior Discount! I know it wasn't Woolworth's at the time. Might another business have come and gone between Woolworth's and Ross'? My memory is screaming "Ross'"!

Comment

That cant be right regarding Ross at Fort Street Mall, I've lived in Hawaii nearly 10 years and it's always been a Ross.

I think Woolworths at Ala Moana closed circa 1998 and sat empty for a couple years before Old Navy took over.

KalihiBoy

Comment

I do recall when WOOLWORTHS went buh bye at FORT STREET MALL it converted into Foot Locker or some kind of shoe store

Comment

Working...
                                X