X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    That cant be right regarding Ross at Fort Street Mall, I've lived in Hawaii nearly 10 years and it's always been a Ross.

I think Woolworths at Ala Moana closed circa 1998 and sat empty for a couple years before Old Navy took over.

KalihiBoy
    Well, the DCCA info on Ross states that it got its Certificate of Authority (since Ross was a mainland corporation, it needed a CoA to do business in Hawaii) in 2004. I don't know if the downtown Ross' opened before they got their CoA (although it probably shouldn't have) but somehow 10 years doesn't seem right to me either. I seem to recall having lunch at the Quiet Corner (which was part of Woolworths) back then. Huh. I wonder if someone from Ross' could answer the question definitively

http://hbe.ehawaii.gov/cogs/details....TR&fn=32371+F1

eta for new info. Ok, I googled better and found an article on the opening of that Ross'
    http://starbulletin.com/1999/01/05/business/story5.html

Kalihiboy might be right. The article says Ross' planned to open downtown in late 1999. But I wonder how they did that without a Certificate of Authority?
    Last edited by Adri; April 28, 2007, 10:23 PM. Reason: To add link to DCCA info

Comment

Ross was already on the islands by 199_? Cause I shopped at the Pearlridge location b4 I left.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post

Ross was already on the islands by 199_? Cause I shopped at the Pearlridge location b4 I left.
        I'm reasonably certain the Ross' on Ward Ave. opened the latter part of the 90s. It eventually closed when the one on Keeaumoku opened. Then Ward Ave. reopened again.

Aha...here's some info. It appears Ross' has been in Hawaii since 1993 or 94...Pearlridge being the first store.

Comment

Decided to post on here dat teen shooting that happend next to the Aiea Library....

Few business in the area I recall

Still there on Long Gone?...

- What is the name of the place that sold Manapua very popular! <--- walking distance from the Aiea Library
          - A sorta 7-11 like mom n pops convience store (facing Moanalua Rd), I remember buying BBQ CornNuts and LOL Twix Bars before heading to Aiea Inter/High at the time
          - Rainbow Records still there?
          - There was a small resturaunt in Aiea SHopping Center that served Hawaiian Food on the 2nd level

Comment

• Re: Big &amp; Small Business Memories

I guess both TGI Fridays on Oahu will be a memory soon as well:

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...706210332/1071

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
              According to the DCCA website, Ross Dress For Less, Inc. got its certificate of authority (to conduct business in Hawaii) on March 12, 2004 and named their officers in Jan. 2005. So I'm guessing the store opened in 2005. That seems right to me from when I can recall seeing the store there (but then senility is a terrible thing and entirely possible for me).
              Ross Dress for Less was previously Ross Stores, Inc. which had filed for a CofA as far back as 1992.

http://hbe.ehawaii.gov/cogs/details....TR&fn=14168+F1

...and i answered that question w/o being "someone from Ross" whilst being "someone who shops at Ross."
              Last edited by cynsaligia; June 22, 2007, 06:30 PM. Reason: all in the deets, i tell you!
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I was running around doing errands and found myself at the TANFORAN MALL in San Bruno and could not help noticing ORANGE JULUIS merged with DAIRY QUEEN I thought OJ died? Guess not! btw is it still in Hawaii?

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                  Name of business I frequented a lot while I was on the islands.......

Dunno if its still there or long gone

It's a sushi place in Kaimuki that is directly across from the Kaimuki Park and I do recall there is a 7-11 on one end and a billiard place on the corner on the other side.....

What is the name of that place?

My mom who is longer living took me there a lot and if you are eating there they have booths/tables and huge windows you could look out of I believe is Waialae Avenue..........

Lots of memories for me sooooooo anyone know what was the name of this place?

The one I remember was a saimin place called TANOUE'S.

Comment

I caught this one today and almost too late, TOMMY'S VIDEO on King Street, not far from Farrington High School is closing next Wednesday 9/26th after 22 years in business. They are selling all of their DVD's and VHS tapes, so you might want to stop by during the next week.

Aj

Comment

I'm looking at an old parade from 15 years or so ago on Ala Moana Blvd. I don't see the building that now houses Borders at Ward. I do see the building next to it that has been around forever it seems.

Was Borders added on to Ward Warehouse as an expansion of the Ward building structures or did something else occupy it before they moved into that location?

Couldnt think where else to post this question but here...

Thanks,

Aj

Comment

Was Borders added on to Ward Warehouse as an expansion of the Ward building structures or did something else occupy it before they moved into that location?

I wanna say YES. The design of the building being that its two stories needed to be created for the chain outlet. I remember when it was under construction when I was still on the islands.

Comment

I'm looking at an old parade from 15 years or so ago on Ala Moana Blvd. I don't see the building that now houses Borders at Ward. I do see the building next to it that has been around forever it seems.

Couldnt think where else to post this question but here...

Thanks,

Aj
                          I believe that building you're referring to that's been there for awhile is the IBM building, which this article says went up right after Statehood. Wow... that IS old!

Ward Center (where Borders is) was indeed added to the Victoria Ward complex of buildings at a later time, and is an entirely different structure, located a block up from the older Ward Warehouse. It can easily be distinguished by its more modern architecture and concrete construction (vs. wood tavern style at Ward Warehouse). IIRC, that was added on some time in the 80's.

As you know, the new Whole Foods structure right across the street from Ward Center on Auahi is making lots of progress, with the main structure already completed. It's gonna' be HUGE.

General Growth, who owns Ala Moana Center, also now owns Victoria Ward Center.
                          Last edited by Pomai; October 25, 2007, 03:10 PM.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I knew the IBM Building was pretty old, but not that old! That is prime property and you wonder how long it will be before it is bought and torn down.

There have been many changes in that area in just the last couple years, remember the 7-11 that once stood at that corner across the street, which now sits a tall skyscraper? And behind the 7-11 as I recall was a 2 story strip mall with a bakery, toy store, bunch of little shops that seem now to be a distant memory.

Aj

Comment

There have been many changes in that area in just the last couple years, remember the 7-11 that once stood at that corner across the street, which now sits a tall skyscraper? And behind the 7-11 as I recall was a 2 story strip mall with a bakery, toy store, bunch of little shops that seem now to be a distant memory.
                              I totally remember that corner 7-11, which didn't last very long, as it was torn down just a few years after being there to make way for Hokua Tower.

Yup, behind that 7-11 was that strip mall that had Panya bakery on the bottom floor, and that Japanese Collectibles store upstairs. I can't remember the guys name or store name, but I went there a couple times. He was totally into Tokusatsu stuff (Kikaida, Kamen Rider, etc.).

What I miss most of all was how the original Farmer's Market was, when they had Bob's Peanuts, and all the other small vendors that lined the inside. It was like going back in time. Just a few old-timers remain today such as Haili's Hawaiian Foods and Tropic Fish & Vegetable, which is very much appreciated! They keep that "old school" spirit alive at WFM. I haven't heard what General Growth has plans for with WFM. Are they planning on tearing that down? I'd really be sad if they do.
                              Last edited by Pomai; October 25, 2007, 03:39 PM.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                I totally remember that corner 7-11, which didn't last very long, as it was torn down just a few years after being there to make way for Hokua Tower.
                                Before it was a 7-11, wasn't it simply a gas station for many years, I swear I saw it on an old Aloha Parade from the 70's.

My kids are now into Kikaida, did that store owner get to relocate somewhere else?

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X