X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    [...]Yup, behind that 7-11 was that strip mall that had Panya bakery on the bottom floor, and that Japanese Collectibles store upstairs. I can't remember the guys name or store name, but I went there a couple times. He was totally into Tokusatsu stuff (Kikaida, Kamen Rider, etc.). [...]
    I don't remember the strip mall but I do remember a 2 story office building. Twenty-five+ years ago a former colleague of mine had an office on the ground floor and it had sliding glass doors out to a small lanai. I always liked that feature! Was the office building on the mauka side of the strip mall or are they one and the same and my brain is in fut mode?

Comment

the office building was called "The Garden Office Building" and it was mauka of the "strip mall" which was really just a small 2 story bldg with Panya and a lot of other small businesses in it. I was lucky enough to work in the Garden Office Building for a while - it was so nice to have lunch in the courtyard. You could sit there, in the peace & quiet, listen to the birds and the sound of water. Very relaxing. Such a shame it had to fall in the name of "progress".
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks, Fran. Funny...I remember the 7-11 and, I think, the gas station. And I remember the Garden Office building. I sure don't recall the "strip mall" in between those 2 properties. The IBM building has always been my landmark for that intersection.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          Before it was a 7-11, wasn't it simply a gas station for many years, I swear I saw it on an old Aloha Parade from the 70's.

My kids are now into Kikaida, did that store owner get to relocate somewhere else?

Aj
          It was a Chevron gas station. My friend used to work there before he left to join the Air Force. His aunty used to own that gas station.

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
            It was a Chevron gas station. My friend used to work there before he left to join the Air Force. His aunty used to own that gas station.
            I thought so, was it a Chevron Gas station dating back to the 70's?

Anyone remember when there was a Texaco gas station located next to Holiday Mart during the early 70's? I think it was located to the right where you get your shopping carts now.

Aj

Comment

Anyone remember when there was a Texaco gas station located next to Holiday Mart during the early 70's? I think it was located to the right where you get your shopping carts now.
              Aj
              Yes, there was a gas station at the corner of Makaloa and Poni (don't know if it was Texaco). They tore it down to put in more parking spaces. In recent years, a small portion of that space has been rented out to various small food vendors (Tae's Teppanyaki, a Taco Truck, and now a Steak truck).

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                Yes, there was a gas station at the corner of Makaloa and Poni (don't know if it was Texaco). They tore it down to put in more parking spaces. In recent years, a small portion of that space has been rented out to various small food vendors (Tae's Teppanyaki, a Taco Truck, and now a Steak truck).
                Pretty sure I mentioned this before, but on the corner of Makaloa and Kalakaua, next door to Holiday Mart>Daiei>Don Quijote's parking structure, where Palama Market now stands, used to be GAS 'N GLO. It was a gas station that also had a large automated car wash where all the large tour vans would go since it could accommodate them. They also had plenty coin-op car vacs. I'll never forget that day this one ch... oh never mind.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Saw that the Taco Bell/Pizza Hut combo restaurant which always was packed back when I worked downtown at Fort Steet Mall closed its doors recently.

Now with Burger King's closure a few years ago, which is now Fisher office supplies and KFC closing a few months back, only McDonalds and Jack in the Box appear to be the well known fast food restaurants still around downtown.

Aj

Comment

Speaking of Taco Bell, the former stand-alone location at the corner of Sheridan (I think) and King St., just before Koreamoku st.., is just finishing some major face-lift renovations, but I didn't see who was going in there. Whoever it is, is doing a bang-up job, architecturally-speaking, making it look totally NEW and nothing like its former Taco Bell design.

Speaking of architectural design and fast food chains, rumor has been spreading that the former Jack in the Box-turned-Oriental Buffet in Waikiki at the corner of McCully and Kalakaua will become... drum roll please... McDonald's! Now you KNOW they'll totally either change the archecture inside and out, or demolish the old building and put up a new one. A McDonald's look like it was a Jack in the Box? That would be a corporate crime! lol

Cool though. Now I can get my fillet-o-fish, fries, apple pie and hash brown fix (my favorite items) with great convenience!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[...]rumor has been spreading that the former Jack in the Box-turned-Oriental Buffet in Waikiki at the corner of McCully and Kalakaua will become... drum roll please... McDonald's![...]
                      That McD will be within a coupla blocks of the Discovery Bay McD which, as I understand it, is the most expensive McD in the State (nationally?). If not a rumor, it'll be interesting to compare prices between the 2 locations. Everytime I'm in the DB McD I hear both tourists and locals talk about how expensive it is. I let 'em know about the dollar menu that's not posted! And senior drinks cost the same as other McDs!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        That McD will be within a coupla blocks of the Discovery Bay McD which, as I understand it, is the most expensive McD in the State (nationally?). If not a rumor, it'll be interesting to compare prices between the 2 locations. Everytime I'm in the DB McD I hear both tourists and locals talk about how expensive it is. I let 'em know about the dollar menu that's not posted! And senior drinks cost the same as other McDs!
                        I'm willing to bet if that rumor is true, it will also play host as a McCafe, to stay on top of the SBux crowd.

I'm guessing the lease rent at this Kalakaua/McCully space is MUCH HIGHER than at that corner space in DB. Jack in the Box must have locked in a killer deal while they were there, which explains their "out of Waikiki" value priced menu. When their lease was up for renewal (with a likely astronomically-increased rate), they were outta' there.

So if McD's goes in there, that would be the 4th McDonald's in Waikiki. The other ones being Discovery Bay, Kuhio Ave. (near iHop), and Kalakaua ave (just past the substation).

There used to be one at the end of Lewer's on Kalia Rd. (across Halekulani), but they had to move to make way for Outrigger's (and Trump Tower) redevelopment.

Gosh, I remember as a kid, my dad would take me and a few friends to McD's and we'd all walk out full after spending just under $3 covering everyone, including dad! 10 cent burgers. Nice!
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm willing to bet if that rumor is true, it will also play host as a McCafe, to stay on top of the SBux crowd.[...]
                          It'll be interesting to see what happens...esp. since there are 2 SBux in the 'hood...HHV and Discovery Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            A few years ago when Shaq was in town as member of the Lakers I saw him and a few teammates eating at the Discovery Bay MCD's since it is located relatively close to the HHV where they were staying at the time. Of course money is no option with those guys!

If that location is the most expensive McD possibly in the state or nation I have heard similiar figures for the Ala Moana location too and the sales they rake in is pretty high too.

The Keeaumoku St. McD's should be ready by January I'm guessing.

Aj

Comment

Speaking of Taco Bell, the former stand-alone location at the corner of Sheridan (I think) and King St., just before Koreamoku st.., is just finishing some major face-lift renovations, but I didn't see who was going in there.
                              I pretty sure I saw a sign saying it's the future location of Shokudo restaurant and bar. I don't know if that means it's going to be their second restaurant or the one on Kapiolani is moving.

... I have heard similiar figures for the Ala Moana location too and the sales they rake in is pretty high too.
                              I can vouch for Ala Moana McD being pricier than other McDonald's on Oahu. I haven't been to Discovery Bay, so I can't make a comparison there.

Comment

What was located at the now closed Hotel Street Pizza Hut/Taco Bell location many years ago?

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X