X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    What was located at the now closed Hotel Street Pizza Hut/Taco Bell location many years ago?

Aj

I believe Walden Books occupied that space at one time and possibly (I could be wrong) the now defunct Honolulu Book Shops was there also.
    There were here at one space for couple of months then moved again to this space before settling at their final one before closing up.

Comment

What was located at the now closed Hotel Street Pizza Hut/Taco Bell location many years ago?

Aj
      heheheh

The old Kramers Store. Up and Bottom.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

• Liberty House
        • AMFAC
        • GEMS
        • Pete's Model Craft in Kamehameha S.C. - I think it's a Bale Sandwich Shop
        • Kenny's Burger House in "K.S.C.". - A newly built McDonalds sits there now. Remember their 10¢ Teri-burgers?!
        • King's Bakery - It's now Makino Chiya Japanese Restaurant
        • Yuki's Coffee House on School St. - Just heard they recently closed. They had a very unique Okazuya selection. The stuffed shrimp was so ono!
        • Wisteria on King St. - Coming soon.. 7-11 and a Gas Station

Oh man you bringin' back da memories.... here are some I remember....

Fat Daddy's Pizza - outcompeted by da mean guy Magoo's

The Snowfire Drive-Inn in Haleiwa. Nothing says Hawai'i like "snowfire" eh? It's a spaghetti'n'meatballs place now and full of loud Mainland Haoles

Buying Made In Occupied Japan tea cups in Kaya's Store in Punaluu. Kaya's still there, but no more "department store" all jammed in there with a butcher shop too. We got "go for broke" school notebooks too.

Sav-Mor gas in Haleiwa, "I'm sorry, we have gas, but we're under 6 feet of water right now" - remember the Haleiwa flood?

The "Feed Store" in Pupukea, I watched that buggah go from an abandoned building with a pay phone to a small store selling horse and chicken feed, and lollipopes. Then sodas, then cigarettes, then snack stuff, it got pretty big. I was back in 03 and it's a Foodland.

Pancho Goldstein's mexican food lunch truck around the surfing spots on the North Shore.

The Esmond, when it was green.

Kress in Wahiawa.

Joe Pacific Shoe Findings in Ala Moana (they'ved moved) when I was a kid I thought they'd look at your shoes and find out stuff about them or something.

I'm sure I can think of plenty more!

Comment

KB Toys at Kam Shopping Center is closing 12/31.

My wife recalls seeing movies at the Holiday Theater located at that same location 25 years ago.

Aj

Comment

Wasn't there a floating dim sum restaurant right across from the downtown power station? Was it called Oceania? Whatever happened to the actual floating barge?

Comment

• Re: Oceania Floating Chinese Restaurant

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
              Wasn't there a floating dim sum restaurant right across from the downtown power station? Was it called Oceania? Whatever happened to the actual floating barge?
              Yup, it was called the Oceania Floating Restaurant, and was moored at Pier 6 (where the Navatek is currently operating) during the 70's. Here it is...

I vaguely remember it, as I was very young at the time.

IIRC, it was towed to Hong Kong. How it could have made that voyage from Hawaii without falling apart is beyond me. I understand it was known to be infested with rats, and didn't do that well, business-wise.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Re: Oceania Floating Chinese Restaurant

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                Yup, it was called the Oceania Floating Restaurant, and was moored at Pier 6 (where the Navatek is currently operating) during the 70's. Here it is...

I vaguely remember it, as I was very young at the time.

IIRC, it was towed to Hong Kong. How it could have made that voyage from Hawaii without falling apart is beyond me. I understand it was known to be infested with rats, and didn't do that well, business-wise.
                Sweet, you even have a picture!!! Yeah, I vaguely remember eating there and always wondered how it made the voyage without sinking. Don't remember if the food was good or not though.

Comment

Bulldozers in Kam Bowl parking lot finally, they have already torn down a section of the building. Walgreens claims it will open in 3 months on this location. Better hurry. Anyways now is the last chance to get photo's of Kam Bowl before it's gone forever.

Aj

Comment

Walgreens claims it will open in 3 months on this location.
                    Any one taking bets on that? The Kaneohe location has been a flat lot for about that long now. No idea what the holdup is.

Comment

O.K., I've just spent a great length of time enjoying reading all 13 pages when I should be doing things like cleaning the house...........! All of you brought back great memories for me of what used to be.

I was wondering however, one of my best memories of great times for music and getting to know the local culture was Club Jubilee. Our first outing there was somewhat thinking we'd no idea what to expect - well we did kind of know what to expect having heard of some of the sometimes rowdy activities there.
                      We went to see Makaha Sons of Niihau (as they were known then) and after getting in the front door into the dark cavernous rooms we felt right at home. None of the things we'd heard happened to us, everyone was very welcoming. We used to enjoy the watercress with mayo & shoyu, the hard boiled eggs, boiled peanuts and whatever else they'd serve. Sometimes we'd order the steak and fries. Jubilee became our weekend home away from home and in those days you could go hear everyone play, Eddie Kamae, Led, Kapena, Pandanus Club,just about everyone. We always sat in the front row they table reserved for us. We still have some friends from there. Always was Auntie Liza making her way from the bar to the stage to drop tip into the calabash when "Hihiwae" was played and everyone played it for her.
                      I really really miss those days - however it was easier to enjoy them when we lived in town close to the club. Jubilee was even mentioned in a Ho'Aikane song. I remember the fun servers and always leaving when Brother Walter and Island Afternoon started to play, late already!Did anyone else out there go to Jube's?

Comment

Not sure how many years it's been there but noticed yesterday the Pizza Hut/Taco Bell restaurant, next to 7-11, near Chaminade University, across from City Mill is closed and boarded up.

Aj

Comment

Speaking of businesses in Waiau - does anyone remember "The Beef Up" from 1980-81 next to Waiau Zippy's?

They served a juicy square burger on a golden wheat bun. Burgers were easily better than the more well known fast food franchises. If I remember correctly the building was barn shaped. Later it became Pioneer Chicken and then a Chinese restaurant.

Waimalu/Waiau area was kinda my hangout too. When we first moved to Hawaii we stayed at the run down apartments across from what is now Waimalu Zippy's until our Palisades house was built. My dad worked at Primo across the street as a beer tester. Imagine getting paid to drink a beer at work.

We caught the bus from Palisades to Skateland in 1976-77. By the time the X-wing fighter was hung up I was no longer going. I remember falling down there, too. "Okay, now everyone go backwards!" Yeah right, I'll sit this one out.

Ate at Buzz's in 1977-80 a few times when it was on Kaahumanu. Dark romantic atmosphere, good steaks.

Worked at Pearl City Pizza Hut in 1979-80. (Okay that's a little farther down from Waiau) Sad that it got replaced by another company and the hideous renovation they did on the building.

My sister's ex-boyfriend was a bouncer at Bully Hayes in 1980. Mosley did own the joint at one time, I only went there 2 times but a friend told me Mosley snubbed him when he went to say hello.

Played pool once at Elephant & Castle in 1980. We bought Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill wine at the liquor store there and took it up to Aiea to pass it around in the car. Took my senior photos there, and rented a tux from Celebrity Formals there too. Or was that tux place in Pearlridge? Hmmmm.....

Met a girl at the Pearl City Burger King drive through in 1985 and dated her. It used to be A&W in the 70's.

On another closed restaurant - I miss the La Ronde on the top of Ala Moana. My mom took me there on my birthdays and it was cool to be in an actual revolving restaurant.

Comment

Almost forgot - I hung around Pearlridge phase 1 and 2 during the early 80's (yay Farrells!), and someone also spoke of the Diaei Pearlidge closing. That was back in 1986, and I was laid off when that happened even though I worked in the town Holiday Mart (Daiei) store. Favoritism and politics reared its ugly head.

On a side note, I went to a Cajun place on Saratoga back in the late 90's and had some delicious alligator sausages. I wonder if that place is still around?

Comment

Other Geek Central for comic book nerds was Aldamar the comic shop across Aala Park. That place was awsome pre-Jelly's days.
                              Yes I was a comic geek back in 1973-75, when Aldamar was at it's peak. Jelly's never came close! This guy across Aaala park with the long brown frizzy hair, nerd glasses and old ratty t-shirt had the best comics (and playboys) on the island. I'd go in there on weekends and there'd be boxes of old 12 cents Spiderman FF, Avengers and more. I only had so much allowance to spend and I always left wanting more! Sometimes I had to borrow from Dad.

Jelly's and other comic stores that sprouted up later were a letdown in comparison. All of them had only the new crap. Jelly's was decent in the late 80's when they opened up, they had decent comics on the wall and all the old football card in boxes and I'd ask the squatty hairy asian guy for the big singles box every time I stopped in. He sometimes acted like it pained him to go get it, but I got loads of old cards for 5-10 cents each that way. Then later the card popularity caused everyone to jack up the prices.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
                                Played pool once at Elephant & Castle in 1980.

i used to like to go there for the fish and chips. the owners were nice.
                                "chaos reigns within.
                                reflect, repent and reboot.
                                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Working...
                                X