This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

My sister's ex-boyfriend was a bouncer at Bully Hayes in 1980. Mosley did own the joint at one time, I only went there 2 times but a friend told me Mosley snubbed him when he went to say hello.

Was he the actor in Magnum P.I? What did he do after being the 4th Ghostbuster? Who you gonna call?

Comment

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories: Local Motion Waikiki Surf Boutique

Looks like the Local Motion boutique surf shop located at the intersection where Ala Moana Blvd. connects with Kalakaua avenue in Waikiki has very recently closed its doors for good...

Notice the gutted interior and absence of signage on the exterior. Photo taken today (3.28.08).

Brew Moon Cafe was located upstairs, and they've also vacated the building.

Here's one 2006 article that says the owners sought $16.8 for the property.

I disagree that this is THAT prime property. Although highly visible while driving by, most of the bustling pedestrian foot traffic is way up the road past Saratoga, with far fewer folks who trot and venture west this way on Kalakaua avenue.

The building's architecture is fantastic though. There certainly is profitable potential with the right business model, whether that be another retailer or restaurant.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Wasn't LOCAL MOTION a place where the cast of the REAL WORLD HAWAII worked about 10 years ago?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
          Speaking of businesses in Waiau - does anyone remember "The Beef Up" from 1980-81 next to Waiau Zippy's?

They served a juicy square burger on a golden wheat bun. Burgers were easily better than the more well known fast food franchises. If I remember correctly the building was barn shaped. Later it became Pioneer Chicken and then a Chinese restaurant.
          I remember that place! Loved it. I can even remember the commercial jingle: "The Beef Up is Choice! The Beef Up is CHOICE!"
          "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories: Local Motion Waikiki Surf Boutique

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            Looks like the Local Motion boutique surf shop located at the intersection where Ala Moana Blvd. connects with Kalakaua avenue in Waikiki has very recently closed its doors for good...

If I had that much money to burn, I'd buy the place and turn it into my own luxurious Waikiki digs and invite all HTer's over for some good times.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlCityMike View Post
              Almost forgot - I hung around Pearlridge phase 1 and 2 during the early 80's (yay Farrells!), and someone also spoke of the Diaei Pearlidge closing. That was back in 1986, and I was laid off when that happened even though I worked in the town Holiday Mart (Daiei) store. Favoritism and politics reared its ugly head.

On a side note, I went to a Cajun place on Saratoga back in the late 90's and had some delicious alligator sausages. I wonder if that place is still around?
              I had quite a few friends that worked at Daiei the same time as you Mike

Comment

Working...
              X