This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Ooooh...what was the name of that wonderful store in Waipahu...the one chock full to the rafters with everything under the sun? They had palaka print plastic bags not to mention great prices! Closed mid 90s, iirc. I'll remember the name as soon as I hit the 'submit reply' button.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
      Eh Aunty, still get Party Center or what?
      The only Party Center I know is at Kapalama Shopping Center. I don't know if it's still there. There's a new Bakery. Wait, I go look in the phone book.

two places: 94-799 Lumiaina St. Ph. (808) 671-3133
      1210 Dillingham Blvd Shop 16 (808) 848-5433

Auntie Lynn
      Last edited by 1stwahine; October 26, 2005, 10:26 AM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

Ooooh...what was the name of that wonderful store in Waipahu...
        Arakawa's was on the tip of your tongue.

Comment

Eh Aunty, still get Party Center or what?
          I think Party Center disappeared a long time ago. As a kid, that was my favorite place to buy authentic-looking fake dog kukae to give away as grab bag gifts in school.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            I think Party Center disappeared a long time ago. As a kid, that was my favorite place to buy authentic-looking fake dog kukae to give away as grab bag gifts in school.
            Yeah dog kukae and Morning Breeze
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Ahhh.. shopping mall classics!

Half of my sister's bedroom must've been decorated with stuff from INDIA IMPORTS in Ala Moana. Used to love the smell of incense in that store. And those felt fluorescent blacklight rock 'n' roll posters.. and the Peacock feathers. Totally cool!

Remember PLAYWELL Toy Store in Pearlridge center? My parents must've spent a fortune buying all my Kikaida and Kamen Rider era toys and books from there. Man how I wish I kept that stuff.

INTERNATIONAL KITCHEN was another Pearlridge classic.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Arakawa's was on the tip of your tongue.
                Of course...Arakawa's!!!!! Thank you. Now it won't be haunting me all day!

Comment

Yeah dog kukae and Morning Breeze
                  Hahaha! "Morning Breeze" (skunk juice) is what I sprinkled on the dog kukae just before wrapping it in a gift box.

Anyone remember Rainbow Rollerland on Keeaumoku St?
                  Coco's Restaurant was a favorite late-night place for grinds.
                  The Mini-Golf that was behind the International Marketplace.
                  The Ala Wai Canal boat rental concession by the McCully bridge.
                  Last edited by lurkah; October 26, 2005, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Club 'n Nightlife from Oahu's Past

CILLY's - formerly located in a front cellar space in the current building on the corner of McCully and Ala Wai Blvd., just before Jack-in-the-Box on Kalakaua ave. They closed doors some time in the early 90's.

SPAT's - formerly in a cellar under the Hyatt Regency. I believe it's a Chinese restaurant now.

MASQUERADE - formerly located on the property where KC Drive-In once stood and Waikiki Landmark now sits. Been there a few times just out of high school. I remember they had an upper mez' level.

MAHARAJA - formerly in the Waikiki Trade Center where ZANZIBAR now operates. Maharaja introduced Honolulu to the high end glamour club concepts in LA & NYC. Zanzibar continues that tradition.

BOBBY McGEE's Conglomeration - fomerly located in the new W hotel, across the Kapiolani Park water fountain. It's now occupied by the W restaurant. This was THE club for my generation and a few others before that. Remember their cool porcelain toilet bowl logo drinking glasses? When they closed, everyone migrated to Restaurant Row.

POINT AFTER - fomerly located on the second floor ocean-front side of the Hawaiian Regent hotel. They operated for a long time before closing to become EURASIA, who also survived quite a long time. They then closed when Hawaiian Regent was bought out by the Marriot. The space is now a hotel spa.

PINK CADDILAC - formerly located in an old building next to 7-11 on Ena Rd. in Waikiki. This was THE place for the younger crowd in the late 80's. It has since closed and morphed into many other nightclub concepts. It reopened recently as Pink Cadillac again, but not sure if it's still in operation.

HAMBURGER MARY's - fomerly on Kuhio Ave., Waikiki in a cluster of old wood buildings with an old Banyan tree behind it. Canlis Restaurant was just in front on Kalakaua. Hamburger Mary's and HULA's became an icon of Hawaii's gay community. That entire corner property is now redeveloped as a high-end boutique retail mall. Hula's has since moved and still operates in a second floor open air hotel space across the Zoo on Kapahulu Blvd.

HERNANDO's HIDEAWAY - A cozy little sports bar tucked way behind a small lot on Kuhio Ave. We used to go there for their ono hand-tossed Pizza. Not sure what's there now.

STUDEBAKER's - fomerly located in Restaurant Row where OCEAN CLUB currently operates. Studebaker's was memorable for the bartop performances of their wait and bar staff.

BLUE ZEBRA - formerly in the corner unit of Restaurant Row, adjacent to Sunset Grill. It closed then became MYSTIQUE, who also eventually closed. Both of these clubs attracted the younger hip-hop crowd. The space has been (mostly) vacant ever since.

WORLD CAFE - They had their beginnings next to the unit where Hiroshi restuarant now operates (formerly Sansei) in Restaurant Row. World Cafe then moved to Nimitz Business Plaza in a large back area warehouse. They survived for a while, then closed to become VOLCANO Night Club. They then closed as well.

ONE HONOLULU - formerly in a space somewhere? in Aloha Tower Market Place. They tried to give it lots of media hype and glamour glitz like celebrity red carpet grand openings and such. Not sure what happened, but they ended up closing.

SLOPPY JOE's/FAT TUESDAY - another former Aloha Tower M.P. tenant who was very popular as restaurant by day, club by night. It then opened as WATERFRONT CAFE, another hybrid restaurant/nightclub. They have has also since closed.

CHI CHI's - fomerly in Westridge Shopping Center next to Pearlridge. By day it was a Mexican restaurant, but by night it was a very popular nightclub for the west side community during the late 80's and early 90's. The space is now occupied by Makino Chiya Japanese Restuarant.

FAST EDDIE's - formerly located on a corner property in the middle of Kailua town. This was the one and only nightclub in the area and was popular with servicemen from Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station (known back then as KMCAS).

Two notable "old school" clubs that still operate to this day include WAVE WAIKIKI and RUMOURS in the Ala Moana Renaissance Hotel. Still going strong after all these years. WAVE WAIKIKI may soon have to relocate (or close?) due to plans for a condominium project coming up on that property.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hahaha! "Morning Breeze" (skunk juice) is what I sprinkled on the dog kukae just before wrapping it in a gift box.

Anyone remember Rainbow Rollerland on Keeaumoku St?
                      Coco's Restaurant was a favorite late-night place for grinds.
                      The Mini-Golf that was behind the International Marketplace.
                      The Ala Wai Canal boat rental concession by the McCully bridge.

I thought it was morning glory.

But talk about roller rinks, not too many people remember the skating rink in East Honolulu where Petland is now.

In Ala Moana Shopping center there was Keiki Land, McInerny's, Andrade (remember that Andrade look?), San Francisco Rag Shop (where all da Punahou chics either bought clothes from or worked for).

And across the street on Kapiolani Blvd was Anderson's Camera

In Kahala Mall there was Pete's Modelcraft
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

But talk about roller rinks, not too many people remember the skating rink in East Honolulu where Petland is now.
                        You must be talking about Skateland, which was a couple of blocks Koko Head of the real school I attended -- Royal Cue pool hall, which was also the former location of the Tom Thumb slot car racing parlor.

Comment

Re: Club 'n Nightlife from Oahu's Past

Originally posted by Pomai
                          CILLY's - formerly located in a front cellar space in the current building on the corner of McCully and Ala Wai Blvd., just before Jack-in-the-Box on Kalakaua ave. They closed doors some time in the early 90's.

SPAT's - formerly in a cellar under the Hyatt Regency. I believe it's a Chinese restaurant now.

MASQUERADE - formerly located on the property where KC Drive-In once stood and Waikiki Landmark now sits. Been there a few times just out of high school. I remember they had an upper mez' level.

MAHARAJA - formerly in the Waikiki Trade Center where ZANZIBAR now operates. Maharaja introduced Honolulu to the high end glamour club concepts in LA & NYC. Zanzibar continues that tradition.

BOBBY McGEE's Conglomeration - fomerly located in the new W hotel, across the Kapiolani Park water fountain. It's now occupied by the W restaurant. This was THE club for my generation and a few others before that. Remember their cool porcelain toilet bowl logo drinking glasses? When they closed, everyone migrated to Restaurant Row.

POINT AFTER - fomerly located on the second floor ocean-front side of the Hawaiian Regent hotel. They operated for a long time before closing to become EURASIA, who also survived quite a long time. They then closed when Hawaiian Regent was bought out by the Marriot. The space is now a hotel spa.

PINK CADDILAC - formerly located in an old building next to 7-11 on Ena Rd. in Waikiki. This was THE place for the younger crowd in the late 80's. It has since closed and morphed into many other nightclub concepts. It reopened recently as Pink Cadillac again, but not sure if it's still in operation.

HAMBURGER MARY's - fomerly on Kuhio Ave., Waikiki in a cluster of old wood buildings with an old Banyan tree behind it. Canlis Restaurant was just in front on Kalakaua. Hamburger Mary's and HULA's became an icon of Hawaii's gay community. That entire corner property is now redeveloped as a high-end boutique retail mall. Hula's has since moved and still operates in a second floor open air hotel space across the Zoo on Kapahulu Blvd.

HERNANDO's HIDEAWAY - A cozy little sports bar tucked way behind a small lot on Kuhio Ave. We used to go there for their ono hand-tossed Pizza. Not sure what's there now.

STUDEBAKER's - fomerly located in Restaurant Row where OCEAN CLUB currently operates. Studebaker's was memorable for the bartop performances of their wait and bar staff.

BLUE ZEBRA - formerly in the corner unit of Restaurant Row, adjacent to Sunset Grill. It closed then became MYSTIQUE, who also eventually closed. Both of these clubs attracted the younger hip-hop crowd. The space has been (mostly) vacant ever since.

WORLD CAFE - They had their beginnings next to the unit where Hiroshi restuarant now operates (formerly Sansei) in Restaurant Row. World Cafe then moved to Nimitz Business Plaza in a large back area warehouse. They survived for a while, then closed to become VOLCANO Night Club. They then closed as well.

ONE HONOLULU - formerly in a space somewhere? in Aloha Tower Market Place. They tried to give it lots of media hype and glamour glitz like celebrity red carpet grand openings and such. Not sure what happened, but they ended up closing.

SLOPPY JOE's/FAT TUESDAY - another former Aloha Tower M.P. tenant who was very popular as restaurant by day, club by night. It then opened as WATERFRONT CAFE, another hybrid restaurant/nightclub. They have has also since closed.

CHI CHI's - fomerly in Westridge Shopping Center next to Pearlridge. By day it was a Mexican restaurant, but by night it was a very popular nightclub for the west side community during the late 80's and early 90's. The space is now occupied by Makino Chiya Japanese Restuarant.

FAST EDDIE's - formerly located on a corner property in the middle of Kailua town. This was the one and only nightclub in the area and was popular with servicemen from Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station (known back then as KMCAS).

Two notable "old school" clubs that still operate to this day include WAVE WAIKIKI and RUMOURS in the Ala Moana Renaissance Hotel. Still going strong after all these years. WAVE WAIKIKI may soon have to relocate (or close?) due to plans for a condominium project coming up on that property.

Oh man those bring back the good old days but there was one where Sam Sung was on Keeaumoku.

I'm 45 and I still have my lifetime pass to Rumours in the Ala Moana Hotel and it's still valid.

Back in the early 80's, The Point After was probably the hottest nightclub to get into. When inside on a late Saturday evening you could pinch a girls buttocks and she'd slap the guy next to you So crowded was that place you'd find yourself smashed up against another as if you were in an orgy.

Cilly's was a great place too but the crowd got too ugly in the late 80's with too many fights breaking out.

But Bobby McGee's was the all time favorite for most locals, too bad it closed down.

If anyone remembers a KHON TV2 story of a couple getting married in the Studebaker car inside the nightclub of the same name...guess what? That was me and my wife! That was one of my favorite night clubs where I Stacy Lowe used to work as a server. Now look at her. I'm still waiting for her to get up on that KGMB newsdesk and rock to some Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band in her mini skirt. Yeah imagine that! Boy am I getting old.

Comment

Now I am showing my age but there was the one and only nightclub in the Sheraton Waikiki: Infinity Nightclub. Hip before nightclubbing was an in thing with it's lighted dance floor.

And don't forget one of the best places to hang out and have a beer: Kojaks where Kalapana played nightly.

Comment

Here's where I'll show my age when it comes to the club scene!

Remember Black Orchid at the then new Restaurant Row? Fun times!
                              And, how about...Trappers, the jazz club in the Hyatt where Jimmy Borges and Betty Loo Taylor played for several years? I loved that place.

My all time favorite place, now closed, for music and dancing was the Maile Lounge at the old Kahala Hilton which featured Kit Samson's Sound Advice for 25+ years. I could write a book...

My kids will remember all of the other clubs mentioned in this thread. [sigh!]

Comment

I definately remember The Point After and Infinity!!

There was another I went to once in a while.....I think it was The Marrakesh (sp)
                                Lovena

Comment

Working...
                                X