X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Originally posted by zztype
    That was the "Lollipop Lounge" in Waikiki? I designed their logo! No, seriously!
    Blaine
    That was your doing??

Comment

Kewalo Lunchwagon

Well that's what most people called them, but their actual name was Kanda Lunchwagon. A local Okinawan family.

They operated at Kewalo Basin on the far left entrance area for DECADES.

Many workers, surfers and beach go'ers in the area fueled up at Kewalo's Lunchwagon.

It wasn't uncommon to wait in lines at least 30 deep at peak lunch hour.

Their "REGULAR MIX" was the iconic example of what we call "Plate Lunch".

Two scoops rice, Macaroni Salad, Pork with Long Rice, Meat Loaf, Hot Dog, Shoyu Chicken, and Luncheon Meat. Comfort food at it's best. And they did it right every time. You got all that, including drink of your choice for just $5.00.

Also memorable was how they would serve the food on "old school" paper China plates, lined with wax paper and wrapped in butcher's paper. So plantation style.. Loved that!

A new lunchwagon is there now, which I've never tried yet.

R.I.P. Kewalo (Kanda) Lunch Wagon.

Here's a Star Bulletin Article on the story.
      Last edited by Pomai; November 6, 2005, 02:42 PM. Reason: Added ZZ Top's Link (Type)
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

This one goes back to the late 1970s. Hickory Farms had a big store upstairs in Pearlridge Phase One (Uptown, they call it now). It had row upon row of specialty cheeses and their sausages. It was on the Diamond Head side as you walked through towards Liberty House. I could never figure out how they could make a profit with a space that big, and apparently the ownership couldn't either, as it closed after a year or two.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Local Snack Food Companies

HILO MACARONI FACTORY

Hilo Macaroni Factory put the famous Saloon Pilot Cracker in Hawaii's home pantries for decades.

They started in Hilo about 1914 as a noodle factory, then later introduced the Saloon Pilot cracker after learning to make "hardtack" from a stranded German Warship baker. The factory finally ended operations in June, 2003.

Grandma used to serve us kids Saloon Pilot crackers PILED with peanut butter and jelly.
          We used to also put butter on them and dunk 'em in Hot Chocolate. Ono!

Here a Star Bulletin Link to the story.

---------------------------------------

Fortunately another Hilo production business still in operation is the MAEBO NOODLE FACTORY, famous for their ONE-TON CHIPS.

Love that stuff!

My favorite way to eat them is on an Oriental Salad. The slightly sweet flavor and crunch make the best of this salad. Winnah!

Here's link to the MAEBO NOODLE FACTORY WEBSITE

---------------------------------------

What's happening with YICK LUNG? I still see their NIBITS snack chips in stores (good stuff!), but none of their famous CRACKED SEEDS?

This Advertiser story explains some of the problems the company had in the past. So are they still in business today or not? Hopefully the company has or will absolve some of its financial problems and get back to being the famous cracked seed brand they once were.

Yick Lung used to have a production plant on Dillingham Blvd., across Cutter Dodge.

I remember every endcap at Long's check-out counters were stocked full of their seed in the clear pastic bag with the yellow tag and diamond red and white Yick Lung logo.

Check out this SUNDAY MANOA album cover.
          Last edited by Pomai; November 7, 2005, 10:07 AM. Reason: Added content
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

High-Tech Sector

SQUARE USA - an American subsidiary of Square Co., Japan - made CGI industry waves when they opened a $46 million dollar studio in Honolulu in 1997. Known primarily for video game development, Square USA also ventured into the movie industry's digital animation and effects field.

It was the fInancially-exhausting investment and eventual box office failure of their film FINAL FANTASY: The Spirit Within which led to their demise. The movie cost $137 million to produce, but only grossed $30 million in American box office sales.

FINAL FANTASY was touted by industry experts as being a breakthrough in the rendering of realistic hair texture and hair wind movement. A challenge that had digital animators of the past scratching their heads.

They closed their Harbor Court studio in downtown Honolulu in early 2002 after spending more than 5 years there.

Here's a Star Bulletin article on the story.

Here another Star Bulletin article on the aftermath of Square USA's closure and how it affected Hawaii's special effects industry. c/o Tutusue

-------------------------------------------------

McHale VideoFilm, a former affilliate of KHON, was featured on the Hawaiian Moving Company a while ago for their work on the memorable "Dancing Meadow Gold Carton" commercials. They too have since closed doors in 1998, citing a weak economy.

If you read this Star Bulletin article, it's funny how they mention back in 1997 where they invested $150,000 in computer equipment with a HEFTY 10 GIGS of hard drive space and WHOPPING 129 megs of RAM.

Gosh, a $250 iPod today has more punch than that.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: High-Tech Sector

CyberCom

Memorable for Peter Kay's "Your Computer Minute" radio ads, CyberCom Inc. rooted itself in the early years of commercial web development in Hawaii. More approximately the mid-90's. Their most notable clients included Outrigger Hotels, Bank of Hawaii and Hawaiian Airlines.

This brief Star Bulletin article illustrates the demands and dynamics of web development and the reasons CyberCom decided to restrategize.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                On the Big Island in Hilo and maybe elsewhere, places I also miss:
                • Sun Sun Lau Restaurant
                I always wonder about that mysterious old wreck of a building when I go by there.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                  I always wonder about that mysterious old wreck of a building when I go by there.

The owner wanted too much for that old wreck of a building than what the market would bear so it remains an old wreck of a building to this day
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Nightclubs of Oahu's Past

One famous club I left out in my original list was Gussie L'amour's. They opened this once thriving hot spot on Nimitz near the Airport in 1983.

Gussie L'amours had their start in Alaska - the name being after an Alaskan saloon girl.

Gussie's served up a variety of entertaiment - from oil wrestling, to dance club, to rock concert venue.

My one and only time ever there was several years ago to see the Van Halen Tribute band, Atomic Punks. I remember how low the stage was and everyone stood right to the edge. If you weren't in the front row, or tall enough to see over those in front, than forget WATCHING the band play.

They had several billiards tables in the back, as well as a variety of arcade video games.

Gussie L'amour's closed in September 2004 after 21 years in business. Quite an accomplishment in the nightclub industry.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Last of Old Waikiki

One of the saddest days for many was the closing of the TAHITIAN LANAI. They closed in 1997 after 40 years in business.

Tahitian Lanai was located at the foot of the lagoon next to Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki.

This popular waterfront restaurant and piano bar was a hit with locals and tourists from several generations past. Many famous names are said to have performed there, including Connie Francis and the legendary Martin Denny.

This Star Bulletin article tells the whole story.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Re: Last of Old Waikiki

Originally posted by Pomai

One of the saddest days for many was the closing of the TAHITIAN LANAI.
                        They had the best Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise sauce so rich that it induced the "Hawaiian Paralysis"...the same condition I used to get from eating too much poi.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                          They had the best Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise sauce so rich that it induced the "Hawaiian Paralysis"...the same condition I used to get from eating too much poi.

Funny though I would pass that place everyday I rode my bicycle home and rarely did I see a crowd or locals there. Mostly tourists.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                            It was my favorite to order while I took MAMA to have breakfast there on Sunday mornings. Aww...the memories!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              It was my favorite to order while I took MAMA to have breakfast there on Sunday mornings. Aww...the memories!

Auntie Lynn
                              I really miss the Tahitian Lanai. Such great memories. Loved the eggs benedict and the coconut shrimp. And the 'little grass shack' private dining areas...oooooh...I loved that place. The last time I was there was for a large Sunday brunch gathering. Martin Denny was one of the guests. After breakfast he wandered over to the piano and began playing. Several other brunch guests with great musical chops joined in. It was so spontaneous and so magical.

Comment

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

I understand recently Gussie L'amour's was demolished. I heard that under a former name during the 60's some of the Rat Pack would stop by. A few years back Nancy Sinatra performed there.

I see the graffiti artists have hit KC Drive Inn, will that be demolished soon?

Will Diamond Head Video on Kapahulu be demolished due to the new Safeway being built. Or will Safeway just occupy the empty lot, I have heard they will have gas at that Safeway location.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                                X