This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Just curious...I know McInerney's is all pau, (and for sometime) but when did they call it quits?

Comment

• McInerny

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
      Just curious...I know McInerney's is all pau, (and for sometime) but when did they call it quits?
      Some quick facts about McInerny:*

Founded in 1857 by Patrick McInerny - a former whale ship carpenter - in downtown Honolulu. After World War II, the company expanded into the Waikiki resort market with up to 18 stores. Known primarily for men's and women's ready-to-wear clothing. McInerny merged with Andrade and Carol and Mary in 1989. They closed in 2003 after 144 years in business.

Note: Our neighbor currently owns an old ANDRADE delivery panel truck. You can still see the (mostly rubbed out) ANDRADE logo painted on the side. Classic.

*Source: the Companies We Keep by Bob Sigall and his students at HPU
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Re: McInerny

Originally posted by Pomai
        Some quick facts about McInerny:*

[B] Our neighbor currently owns an old ANDRADE delivery panel truck. You can still see the (mostly rubbed out) ANDRADE logo painted on the side. Classic.

*Source: the Companies We Keep by Bob Sigall and his students at HPU

Back in the late 60's my dad bought one of Carol & Mary's white Chevy Impala station wagons they used as a delivery vehicle. My dad tried and tried to rub off the painted name but even with his best efforts you could see the script lettering of that company.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
          Hahaha! "Morning Breeze" (skunk juice) is what I sprinkled on the dog kukae just before wrapping it in a gift box.

Anyone remember Rainbow Rollerland on Keeaumoku St?
          Coco's Restaurant was a favorite late-night place for grinds.
          The Mini-Golf that was behind the International Marketplace.
          The Ala Wai Canal boat rental concession by the McCully bridge.
          I remember those places. Scotty's Drive Inn was next to Rainbow Rollerland.

Comment

• Re: Waialae Drive In/Jolly Rogers

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
            Did anybody ever think that the ghost story derived from the cemetary that is located next to the Self Storage place?

Also, I never saw a movie at the Drive In, I'm curious did the highway traffic ever bother anyone when trying to hear the movies?

KalihiBoy
            The stories I always hear about old Waialae Drive Inn Theatre was in the restroom mirror was an image of a faceless lady.

Comment

• Cobra Skateboard Shop across Aala Park - One of the only shops at the time that was dedicated to skateboarding. This was late 70's to early 80's era. I must've spent all my allowance there.

• Times Supermarket in Niu Valley Shopping Center - This was THE anchor tenant. Times was sold by the Teruya family. The Niu valley location was closed in September 2002. Now it's a church? I'm wondering how LeBistro, Lung Fung and KFC are surviving without an anchor.

• Burgerland on Monsarrat ave. - THey had the best local style burgers! Da' secret sauce recipe. Now it's Diamond Head Grill and Market.

• Country Kitchen Kaa'awa (next to 7-11) - They had the best Loco Moco. Well at least it tasted really good after a day in the ocean. Not sure what's there now.

• Skateland in Pearl City (near Waiau Zippy's). They had the X-Wing fighter hanging from the ceiling. Spent many weekends slippin' n' fallin' and making "A" there.

• Mui Kwai Chop Suey in Kaneohe - This was THE Chinese restaurant in Kaneohe. Until the head cook branched out and made a new Kaneohe hot spot at Kin Wah Chop Suey up the road. The spot where Mui Kwai used to be turned into a bank. Not sure what's there today.

• Timmy's Gym downtown near Fort St. Mall - Was a member there for 3 or 4 years. Took 2nd place in a bodybuilding competition there. That was YEARS ago. Timmy Leong opened another gym behind Dixie Grill on ward. It's no longer there though.

Ahhh... the memories stir...
              Skateland is now the M.Dyer and Sons Moving and Storage. I went skating there when it first opened.

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics
                There was one in Pearl City too....now is Blockbuster too!

I used to buy my "Hang Ten" shirts from there.

Comment

Ahhh.. shopping mall classics!

Half of my sister's bedroom must've been decorated with stuff from INDIA IMPORTS in Ala Moana. Used to love the smell of incense in that store. And those felt fluorescent blacklight rock 'n' roll posters.. and the Peacock feathers. Totally cool!

Remember PLAYWELL Toy Store in Pearlridge center? My parents must've spent a fortune buying all my Kikaida and Kamen Rider era toys and books from there. Man how I wish I kept that stuff.

INTERNATIONAL KITCHEN was another Pearlridge classic.
                  Those were the original tenants when PearlRidge first opened. How's about Spectrum, Pearlridge Music, Hickory Farms, Daiei.

Comment

• Re: Club 'n Nightlife from Oahu's Past

CILLY's - formerly located in a front cellar space in the current building on the corner of McCully and Ala Wai Blvd., just before Jack-in-the-Box on Kalakaua ave. They closed doors some time in the early 90's.

SPAT's - formerly in a cellar under the Hyatt Regency. I believe it's a Chinese restaurant now.

MASQUERADE - formerly located on the property where KC Drive-In once stood and Waikiki Landmark now sits. Been there a few times just out of high school. I remember they had an upper mez' level.

MAHARAJA - formerly in the Waikiki Trade Center where ZANZIBAR now operates. Maharaja introduced Honolulu to the high end glamour club concepts in LA & NYC. Zanzibar continues that tradition.

BOBBY McGEE's Conglomeration - fomerly located in the new W hotel, across the Kapiolani Park water fountain. It's now occupied by the W restaurant. This was THE club for my generation and a few others before that. Remember their cool porcelain toilet bowl logo drinking glasses? When they closed, everyone migrated to Restaurant Row.

POINT AFTER - fomerly located on the second floor ocean-front side of the Hawaiian Regent hotel. They operated for a long time before closing to become EURASIA, who also survived quite a long time. They then closed when Hawaiian Regent was bought out by the Marriot. The space is now a hotel spa.

PINK CADDILAC - formerly located in an old building next to 7-11 on Ena Rd. in Waikiki. This was THE place for the younger crowd in the late 80's. It has since closed and morphed into many other nightclub concepts. It reopened recently as Pink Cadillac again, but not sure if it's still in operation.

HAMBURGER MARY's - fomerly on Kuhio Ave., Waikiki in a cluster of old wood buildings with an old Banyan tree behind it. Canlis Restaurant was just in front on Kalakaua. Hamburger Mary's and HULA's became an icon of Hawaii's gay community. That entire corner property is now redeveloped as a high-end boutique retail mall. Hula's has since moved and still operates in a second floor open air hotel space across the Zoo on Kapahulu Blvd.

HERNANDO's HIDEAWAY - A cozy little sports bar tucked way behind a small lot on Kuhio Ave. We used to go there for their ono hand-tossed Pizza. Not sure what's there now.

STUDEBAKER's - fomerly located in Restaurant Row where OCEAN CLUB currently operates. Studebaker's was memorable for the bartop performances of their wait and bar staff.

BLUE ZEBRA - formerly in the corner unit of Restaurant Row, adjacent to Sunset Grill. It closed then became MYSTIQUE, who also eventually closed. Both of these clubs attracted the younger hip-hop crowd. The space has been (mostly) vacant ever since.

WORLD CAFE - They had their beginnings next to the unit where Hiroshi restuarant now operates (formerly Sansei) in Restaurant Row. World Cafe then moved to Nimitz Business Plaza in a large back area warehouse. They survived for a while, then closed to become VOLCANO Night Club. They then closed as well.

ONE HONOLULU - formerly in a space somewhere? in Aloha Tower Market Place. They tried to give it lots of media hype and glamour glitz like celebrity red carpet grand openings and such. Not sure what happened, but they ended up closing.

SLOPPY JOE's/FAT TUESDAY - another former Aloha Tower M.P. tenant who was very popular as restaurant by day, club by night. It then opened as WATERFRONT CAFE, another hybrid restaurant/nightclub. They have has also since closed.

CHI CHI's - fomerly in Westridge Shopping Center next to Pearlridge. By day it was a Mexican restaurant, but by night it was a very popular nightclub for the west side community during the late 80's and early 90's. The space is now occupied by Makino Chiya Japanese Restuarant.

FAST EDDIE's - formerly located on a corner property in the middle of Kailua town. This was the one and only nightclub in the area and was popular with servicemen from Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station (known back then as KMCAS).

Two notable "old school" clubs that still operate to this day include WAVE WAIKIKI and RUMOURS in the Ala Moana Renaissance Hotel. Still going strong after all these years. WAVE WAIKIKI may soon have to relocate (or close?) due to plans for a condominium project coming up on that property.
                    How's about The Sting in The Princess Kaiulani Hotel, 3-Ds on Kuhio, Infinity Disco at The Sheraton Waikiki, Hula Hut on Beachwalk, Steel Wings, Angle's and Power Station in the Ilikai Hotel, Foxy Lady Disco in Don the Beachcomber Hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                      OMG! The Stop Light!!! During the early 1980s, my production company partner and I hosted a 'wrap party' (aka: thank gawd this film shoot is finally over party!) at the SL. Our ad agency producer client, a young, bright, serious, Jewish, self-proclaimed 'princess', always looked forward to wrap parties but always remained in her serious, somewhat rigid shell. We decided to expand her 'princess' horizons just a bit...with the approval of her ad agency! Was that ever fun! We all agreed afterward, tho', that one visit to such an establishment was about all we could handle!

Then there's another ad agency producer who hosted a wrap party on the back lanai of Hamburger Mary's. But, alas, that's another thread...

Cigar and ping pong ball show. Blow out 4 lit books of matches with one blow. Poof!

Comment

• Re: Retailers of Yesteryears

My apologies. That was a typo.

Arakawa's closed in 1995.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Some facts about GEM:*

Started in Hawaii in 1958 by Glenn Kaya, after it's start in Denver in 1957.

GEM was an acronym for "Government Employee Mutual". GEM originally was a members-only store.

GEM used to operate departments by leasing out space to independant companies, including some well known today such as ABC stores, Wong's Drapery, C.S. Wo, Mid Pacific Lumber, Kim Chow and Houoli.

At its peak, GEM had up to 50 locations, including locations in Honolulu, St. Louis, Denver, Los Angeles, Kansas City and Minneapolis. The first Hawaii location was at GEM Kapalama.

Seibu of Japan bought GEM and in 1993 closed the business.

----------------------------------
                        *Source: the Companies we Keep by Bob Sigall and his students at HPU.
                        I remember as a small kid in the 60s when my parents had to show the membership card like you do now at Costco and Sam's.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                          Pirate Bully Hayes, anyone, in Waiau, between Waimalu and Pearl City?

Not the one up the hill next to the freeway; the one when it was next to the Waiau junkyard and swamp, across from Hawaiian Electric power plant.
                          Someone threw a grenande in the parking lot. I remember hearing the blast that night from where I lived. Headlines in the paper the next day quotes " Greanade blast hits Waiau night club".

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                            Pirate Bully Hayes, anyone, in Waiau, between Waimalu and Pearl City?

Not the one up the hill next to the freeway; the one when it was next to the Waiau junkyard and swamp, across from Hawaiian Electric power plant.
                            The one across the Waiau Power Plant used to be Buzz's Steak House not Bully Hayes. Buzz's moved up on Kaahumanu St. The old Buzz's in now Waiau Zippy's.

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics
                              If I recall, there was one in Waipahu as well.

Singing..."Your dollar buys more, Your dollar buys more, Your dollar buys more at the Wigwam store. Wigwam. Duu..duu...dun daa...!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by na alii

Singing..."Your dollar buys more, Your dollar buys more, Your dollar buys more at the Wigwam store. Wigwam. Duu..duu...dun daa...!!!!
                                That does it. You're one old fut like me.

Btw, wasn't Pirate Bully Hayes (where somebody threw a grenade) owned by Roger Mosely who played "TC" in Magnum PI?

Comment

Working...
                                X