• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tutusue
    replied
    Re: Big & Small Business Memories

Originally posted by TurquoiseDuck
    Woolworth's
    I miss Woolworths! In Waianae, it's now a City Mill...which is handy! Cornet's (Makaha)is now Makaha Marketplace with several small businesses, but not enough. EJ's Cafe is now on it's 2nd incarnation...Aloha Aina Cafe. The Nanakuli Theater is now a church, iirc. But, one thing never changes...Tamura's Superette...the best grocery store on the island!

Leave a comment:

• TurquoiseDuck
    replied

Woolworth's

Leave a comment:

• EastCoastTropics
    replied

Originally posted by Pomai
    • Skateland in Pearl City (near Waiau Zippy's). They had the X-Wing fighter hanging from the ceiling. Spent many weekends slippin' n' fallin' and making "A" there.

Ahhh... the memories stir...
    I used to skate here too! I stopped going because I got kicked out!

I was in the military and showed up in my uniform one afternoon after work to see if my friends had stopped in. I was there for not even a minute and a girl who worked there came up to me and told me to leave because they don't allow any military in uniform. I thought she was joking but she wasn't! I'm glad they closed...bye bye! Ice Palace is waaaay cooler!!

Leave a comment:

• EastCoastTropics
    replied

Originally posted by Pomai
    But what about the smaller guys or the mom & pop stores around your neighborhood corner? What are the owners doing now? What's currently in the place where they used to be?

What ever happened to:
    • Hauole's clothing store in Kaneohe Bay S.C. - I think it's a Blockbuster now.
    Ohh da' memories!
    There was one in Pearl City too....now is Blockbuster too!

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

• Cobra Skateboard Shop across Aala Park - One of the only shops at the time that was dedicated to skateboarding. This was late 70's to early 80's era. I must've spent all my allowance there.

• Times Supermarket in Niu Valley Shopping Center - This was THE anchor tenant. Times was sold by the Teruya family. The Niu valley location was closed in September 2002. Now it's a church? I'm wondering how LeBistro, Lung Fung and KFC are surviving without an anchor.

• Burgerland on Monsarrat ave. - THey had the best local style burgers! Da' secret sauce recipe. Now it's Diamond Head Grill and Market.

• Country Kitchen Kaa'awa (next to 7-11) - They had the best Loco Moco. Well at least it tasted really good after a day in the ocean. Not sure what's there now.

• Skateland in Pearl City (near Waiau Zippy's). They had the X-Wing fighter hanging from the ceiling. Spent many weekends slippin' n' fallin' and making "A" there.

• Mui Kwai Chop Suey in Kaneohe - This was THE Chinese restaurant in Kaneohe. Until the head cook branched out and made a new Kaneohe hot spot at Kin Wah Chop Suey up the road. The spot where Mui Kwai used to be turned into a bank. Not sure what's there today.

• Timmy's Gym downtown near Fort St. Mall - Was a member there for 3 or 4 years. Took 2nd place in a bodybuilding competition there. That was YEARS ago. Timmy Leong opened another gym behind Dixie Grill on ward. It's no longer there though.

Ahhh... the memories stir...

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    started a topic Big & Small Business Memories

Big & Small Business Memories

Everyone remembers the big name businesses in Hawaii who are no longer with us...
    • Liberty House
    • AMFAC
    • GEMS
    ..to name a few.

But what about the smaller guys or the mom & pop stores around your neighborhood corner? What are the owners doing now? What's currently in the place where they used to be?

What ever happened to:
    • Hauole's clothing store in Kaneohe Bay S.C. - I think it's a Blockbuster now.
    • Tasty Treat in Kaneohe - It eventually became the #1 L&L drive-inn on the windward side. Now it's another unknown plate lunch place.
    • Pete's Model Craft in Kamehameha S.C. - I think it's a Bale Sandwich Shop
    • Kenny's Burger House in "K.S.C.". - A newly built McDonalds sits there now. Remember their 10¢ Teri-burgers?!
    • King's Bakery - It's now Makino Chiya Japanese Restaurant
    • Yuki's Coffee House on School St. - Just heard they recently closed. They had a very unique Okazuya selection. The stuffed shrimp was so ono!
    • Wisteria on King St. - Coming soon.. 7-11 and a Gas Station

Ohh da' memories!
Working...
X