Best Banks in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Banks in Hawaii

I'm writing to inquire if the situation has changed -- specifically, is there still no bank with both mainland and Hawaii branches? I read good things about NFCU, but I realize there are some requirements to have an account there.

Thanks, and sorry to necro (it just seemed like the best place to post).

Comment

American Savings bank is pretty bad in trying screw customers too...they post deposits late, but post expenditures immediately in an attempt to screw you out of a day or two worth of interest. When you make credit card payments, they frequently either "lose" the check, or it gets slowed down in their "system"
      I'm looking forward to dumping American Savings Bank. Death by a thousand cuts, with "customer service" bordering on the hostile. At best, incompetent. And their exploitative depository practices are no rumor. Recently posting my frustrations elsewhere online, a chorus of others with similar experiences. They're the Tony Autoplex of banks.

I'm probably moving to a credit union, despite having once worked for a "real" bank and trying very hard to stick with them over the last decade. I think the only main island bank I haven't used is FHB, but all the other majors have disappointed me since I first became a bank customer in college.

I did, meanwhile, sign up for USAA. No local branches, but:
      • You can deposit checks by taking a picture of a check with their iPhone app. Instant fund availability. Just rip up the check.
      • You can do EFT fund transfers in and out, no extra fees.
      • They reimburse a substantial number of ATM fees. Essentially, with moderate ATM usage, you can use any machine for free.
      • You earn interest on checking balances over $1,000.
      • A decent rewards points or cash back incentive plan.
      • Top-rated customer support.

If not a local credit union, USAA -- with no "branches" -- may be our main financial institutions. Good riddance to the local cabal.
      Last edited by pzarquon; September 11, 2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
        I read good things about NFCU, but I realize there are some requirements to have an account there.
        Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        You can deposit checks by taking a picture of a check with their iPhone app. Instant fund availability. Just rip up the check.
        If not a local credit union, USAA -- with no "branches" -- may be our main financial institutions. Good riddance to the local cabal.
        I've been wishing that other credit unions would pick up USAA's scanned-check-deposit system. At least NFCU will immediately credit the first $200 of a check deposit, even if it happens on a Friday morning of a holiday weekend and the ATM won't be emptied for nearly 96 hours.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union is a great alternative to NFCU. Membership is open to everyone (worst case is a one-time $20 donation to the National Military Family Association) and they work very hard to offer CDs a few basis points over NFCU's rates. And while NFCU sometimes sets high minimum purchases for their CDs, PenFed's minimum is always $1000. Makes it very easy to buy long-term CDs with the comfort that if one has to be broken into early, it'll only be for the necessary amount instead of $20K.

Might not have to break into one anymore. We needed cash about six months before a three-year CD matured, but I was really reluctant to break into that 6% APY. So we applied for a home equity line of credit-- 2.75% back in February-- and carried that balance until the CD matured.

PenFed has a very good website-- I've been a member for over three years and I've never been to the Fort Schafter branch. Maybe I never will.

https://www.penfed.org/
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Nords, thanks, it seems like a great place to do banking!

I checked their website, and it seems the only branch location in Hawaii is inside Fort Shafter. Doesn't one have to be in the military to go to the branch?

Comment

hi,im not sure if this is the place to post,

only bia hawaii on dillingham is no longer there is the building is not occupied and they must have sold bia hawaii out is today i went past and that building is unocuppied so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time=O)

Comment

Thank you, sansei, for your observation! Verily, the price of financial freedom is eternal vigilance!

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
                hi,im not sure if this is the place to post,

only bia hawaii on dillingham is no longer there is the building is not occupied and they must have sold bia hawaii out is today i went past and that building is unocuppied so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time=O)
                Sansei...the BIA Hawaii I'm familiar with is the Building Industry Association of Hawaii. It's not a bank. Is there a BIA bank?

BIA Hawaii is opening a construction training center in Waipahu this month. Possibly that's where the Dillingham offices have moved...if this is the business you're talking about.

Possibly the disappearing establishments thread might've been more appropriate as this thread is about the best banks in Hawaii!

Comment

My personal account is with Territorial Savings, because I like being a part of a small institution. I come in rarely, but am always greeted by name.

My family account is with American Savings, because they gave us our first mortgage, and we have grown to like their low fees and good service.

My SO's personal account is with First Hawaiian, and I appreciate them because I know I can always get rolls of the new dollar coins there (which I use, a lot!).

I dealt with BOH once, and never will again. NEVER!

All our other accounts are 'offshore.'

K of K
                  Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                  ~ ~
                  Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                  Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                  Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                    Nords, thanks, it seems like a great place to do banking!
                    I checked their website, and it seems the only branch location in Hawaii is inside Fort Shafter. Doesn't one have to be in the military to go to the branch?
                    Probably, but as I said in my post I've never been to the branch. I do it all over PenFed's website. I've never even called them on the phone, let alone gone face-to-face with a human being.

I think part of their great CD rates is the savings they achieve by enabling customers to do their own work over the website. But customers needing more contact over the phone or in person would probably do better with another credit union or even a bank. Personally I'd rather have the higher CD rate.
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...ecking_savings

More user fees added are going to be at banks now.

Comment

Working...
                      X