Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Daiei --> Don Quijote

Neat citation, there!

I was recently in a class with a guy who was miffed about the changeover. He was bummed that the receipts already say "Don Quijote" instead of Daiei. He wasn't even born and raised here, but he felt there was a local affection and loyalty for the Daiei name that would probably hurt business after the conversion.

That's not to say that location couldn't use some sprucing up. Just how different it will be is the question.

I guess Don Quijote is a familiar brand in Japan, so I guess the store near Ala Moana will draw a good crowd of Japanese tourists. But what the new name will do to local traffic I'm not sure. I know area residents like the grocery there, but there's a new market coming in a block away that might carry just as much, if not more, local appeal.

Comment

I got no problem with the name change and I live with the speed of them changing the name.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Neat citation, there!
        Hence why I posted it to this thread. As I'm sure you'd be interested.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Imagine if Walmart had won the bid to buy out Daiei.

I actually like the sound of DAIMART better than Don Quijote. Who the heck is Don Quijote? Sounds like some Latin pop star.

Here's the corporate history page: http://www.donki.com/b/corp/history_en.php

Even DONKI's would have sounded better.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Maybe it's really DONKEY-HOTE (The Japanese interpretation of a Spanish name). I do think their penguin mascot is cute, though.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Does it bother anyone else that it's "Don Quijote" and not "Don Quixote"?

That's just gonna drive me crazy. I don't think I can shop there anymore.

Comment

that's just an alternate spelling and pronunciation of it...

remember that techno some of the same name?

Comment

The Kaheka parking lot is a ghost town, and we are still adjusting to the newly painted exterior... red roof with yellow and black accents, and peach walls... wonder how long the taggers will leave it in its pristine condition. I'm trying to figure out where all four locations of the former Daiei shops are located... Do you know if the other three stores have been undergoing renovations too? Thanks!

Comment

The new Don Quijote is the cover story in this week's MIDWEEK.

They officially begin their affair with Hawaii this Friday as they unveil the old Holiday Mart’s new look with a celebration at the Kaheka store that will feature local grinds and everyone’s favorite local Japanese boy Jake Shimabukuro.
                    I think just like people still say "Go Bows!", some will still say, "I'm going to Daiei". Shoot, some folks probably still call it Holiday Mart.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Holiday Mart had the old hibiscus logo and Daiei had that semi-circular orange shaped thing... did either stores have a jingle or motto? Now that the Kaheka store is renovated, I wonder if the birds will still be flying overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by lilin View Post
                        Holiday Mart had the old hibiscus logo and Daiei had that semi-circular orange shaped thing... did either stores have a jingle or motto? Now that the Kaheka store is renovated, I wonder if the birds will still be flying overhead.
                        Nope. No slogan. No jingle. Never did. I asked 4 people older than me who concur to that.

As for their current locations, it's Kaheka (open 24 hrs), Kailua, Pearl City and Waipahu (open 24 hrs.).

I like their upcoming "Treasure Hunt" "Compression Display" concept. Reminds of those little hole-in-the-wall shops in Tokyo where shopkeepers would cram as much merchandise as they could in one small space. Fun to browse through. I'd hate to be the one in charge of merchandising or inventory control though. Yikes.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          Nope. No slogan. No jingle. Never did. I asked 4 people older than me who concur to that.
                          Didn't the Holiday Mart gas stations have a slogan?

"Fast Gas," I think it was. Simple, but a slogan nonetheless.

The Holiday Mart bumper stickers were almost as popular as the K59 ones back in the early-mid 80's.

Comment

Thanks guys for clearing up the questions! I just learned that the English spell Don Quixote with a J and not X. It was also mentioned that the original manuscript uses a J as well. Did all the Holiday Marts have gas stations? Does anyone have photos?

Comment

Two things: I hope they keep the same quality ahi poke. And I hope they bring in a better selection of electronics. Read: more upscale. Other than that, what’s in a name? They’ve already said they don’t plan to make any radical changes.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by lilin View Post
                                Did all the Holiday Marts have gas stations? Does anyone have photos?
                                Now that PJ mentions "Fast Gas", I kinda' remember that now. According to my friend, the location currently occupied by Palama Market on the corner of Makaloa and Kalakaua was originally a gas station operated by Holiday Mart, likely under "Fast Gas".

My last recollection of that parcel was that it was Gas-N-Glo, an independant operator not affiliated with neighboring Daiei.

The Kailua location - when it was Holiday Mart - indeed had a gas station, which was located in the parking lot near the Holiday Theatres, where I've seen a few movies at way back then.

Here's a photo I took back in June of the Kaheka storefront...

I want a before-and-after shot when they finally get the "Don Pen" DQ Lightbox sign up.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X