• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1stwahine
    replied
    Re: dealing with business loss

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
    thank you all again, for the kind words. i dream of a new business, and wont make the same mistakes again. on the other hand, i did so badly i wonder if i should ever even try again.
    Owning a Business gives you the ability to do what "YOU" want to do. You are your own BOSS! However, as you know from experience it doesn't mean one can make it. In fact, the odds of making it is very slim.

Having a business plan that is solid, a place where your idea is needed as far as being profitable or just wishful thinking. What are the risks factors, etc. etc. In today's business world...so much comes into play. Yet, if you have a product, the ability to market it as well as the desire and heart to work your arse off ~ you can make it!

Never say never. Always say I can and I will!

Everyone starts as a beginner. Just as a baby falls when they start learning how to walk. You just started. Pick up yourself. Take a break. And when you are ready to walk again...don't be afraid. For what you have can not be found in Books. You have EXPERIENCE.

And that Hellbent is something Money can't buy!

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Hellbent
    replied

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    There will always be people who are cruel and ignorant. SMILE and go forward my dear...it gets better. When my MAMA closed Benny's three years ago, my heart broke too. I hated the stares and the questions. But I kept SMILING. Soon the hurt subsided and the pain went away. A new Life began.

It will get better.

~Hugs~

Auntie Lynn

thank you all again, for the kind words. i dream of a new business, and wont make the same mistakes again. on the other hand, i did so badly i wonder if i should ever even try again.
    i see some of the old customers around the neighborhood or on myspace, alot asked what happened. unfortunately its usually followed up by 'is this or that for sale?'
    the auction was apparently held at the location, and the name of the business shows on the mcclains website. apparently some nice wines from padovani's will be on sale soon.
    i guess everyone loves a good deal. if i had known the auction was coming up, i would even have told them about it. i also wanted my videos back, someone got some good foreign movies.
    anyway, thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

So some dickhead pm's me on another local board and asks me if I owned the icafe, he just bought a xbox 360 from the auction and wanted to know how to unlock something.
    Sure enough, McClains had an auction over the weekend. My chest felt tight looking over all of the old stuff.
    There will always be people who are cruel and ignorant. SMILE and go forward my dear...it gets better. When my MAMA closed Benny's three years ago, my heart broke too. I hated the stares and the questions. But I kept SMILING. Soon the hurt subsided and the pain went away. A new Life began.

It will get better.

~Hugs~

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Kinda' like your exgirlfriend's new boyfriend asking YOU what turns your ex on. Sheesh.
    I would just start making stuff up.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

So some dickhead pm's me on another local board and asks me if I owned the icafe, he just bought a xbox 360 from the auction and wanted to know how to unlock something.
    I suppose that is a bit tacky at the least, and at worst, rubbing salt in your wound.

Kinda' like your exgirlfriend's new boyfriend asking YOU what turns your ex on. Sheesh.

McClains had an auction over the weekend. My chest felt tight looking over all of the old stuff.
    I'm surprised the auction house tells buyers where their inventory comes from. Is that part of their disclosure policy?

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

Sure enough, McClains had an auction over the weekend. My chest felt tight looking over all of the old stuff.

Ive got a descent paying job now and things are okay. <sigh> I guess I'll always miss the place. I keep thinking about saving up to start a new business, but now I've got responsibilites and even though I've gotten offers to partner up and start a new project, I dont think I'll quit my day job.

hugs, hellbent! You had a good run there for a while. Try to be pragmatic about it. You've learned so much from your venture. Unfortunately, with PMs like that, you will find it difficult to fully close the door on it. But you will eventually. Look forward. Give your present employer all you've got. You're probably a great asset to your boss simply because of this experience.

Leave a comment:

• Hellbent
    replied

Ive got a descent paying job now and things are okay. <sigh> I guess I'll always miss the place. I keep thinking about saving up to start a new business, but now I've got responsibilites and even though I've gotten offers to partner up and start a new project, I dont think I'll quit my day job.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by anapuni808
    ah, Matt Levi.................sigh.
    I know why. (From Lurkah's Link)

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

ah, Matt Levi.................sigh.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by Erika Engle
    I know why you're asking!
    You do?heheheh

Someday ~ I will get to meet two of my other favorite Reporters!

Mat Levi and Erika Engles!!!

Mahalo, Pretty Lady!

Auntie Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

I know why you're asking!

I don't know if Matt would remember me -- but we worked at KGMB at the same time briefly - circa 1984/85.

We worked different shifts. I was there in the wee hours prepping those five-minute cut-ins during CBS This Morning (before I went to KSSK for the rest of the day) ... and he was there when the regular day crew reported to work.

He also helped the AFTRA bargaining unit at KITV, as I recall, during the strike in ... 1981 (?). I can't exactly remember in what capacity he helped.

I remember him (though we didn't meet) from his KHLO-AM radio news days in Hilo.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by Erika Engle
    So, Auntie, by "Duties - Open" you mean to say that you don't have a preference as to what type of job? So, like, anything from McDonald's to data entry to assistant coaching a football team? (I'm thinking they could use your whack-whacks training!) (In fact, I want you to go give Ashley Lelie some whack-whacks. What a self-important prima donna he turned out to be!)

There are lots of restaurants opening up ... and we keep hearing about how employers are having a hard time finding workers who can pass a drug test (which I know you can, given your successful effort at staying clean/sober -- hooray for you, by the way!)
    heheheh. I dunno wat I really like. I know I want to work. I gave it to the Lord. He'll send something my way. He always does.

As for Ashley Lelie. No worries. He going be getting plenty Whack Whacks on the field. What goes around ~ comes around.

Auntie Lynn

Btw: Any chance you know Mat Levi? heheheheh

Leave a comment:

• Erika Engle
    replied

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    BTW: I'm looking for a Part-time Job ... Hours - Open
    Duties - Open I have many Skills.
    So, Auntie, by "Duties - Open" you mean to say that you don't have a preference as to what type of job? So, like, anything from McDonald's to data entry to assistant coaching a football team? (I'm thinking they could use your whack-whacks training!) (In fact, I want you to go give Ashley Lelie some whack-whacks. What a self-important prima donna he turned out to be!)

There are lots of restaurants opening up ... and we keep hearing about how employers are having a hard time finding workers who can pass a drug test (which I know you can, given your successful effort at staying clean/sober -- hooray for you, by the way!)

Anyway, there are job listings in both local papers and of course, at Craigslist --

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/

Of course it's now been several seconds since I read the thread, so I can't remember if somebody already recommended such searches to Hellbent -- and I wish you great success, too, moving forward! Maybe you could register with a headhunting firm, you know, the type that does executive placements? (Find one that charges the employer and not the job-seeker!)

Leave a comment:

• Hellbent
    replied

Thanks for the responses.
    The first few weeks were rough. I'm mostly to blame. I cant bemoan competitors, labor strikes, tourism, or the change in clientelle. 2 weeks after I closed my business my 15 year old cat passed on, then I got married.
    At first I didnt know what to do with myself. I started drinking again, the house got a much needed cleaning. Ive since slowed down on the drinking and feel better about myself. I'm an optomist and can still see a future ahead of me. The job market is good, and I'm considering something in schools or culinary training.
    After closing the store I swore off ever opening a business again, but I think its in the blood. My sister has been running an alohawear factory for around 20 years and my parents used to own a noodle factory. If I ever run a business again, Im going to make sure I have someone else handle the financials! We took in alot of money (to me) but it all went back out. I should have taken business classes in college instead of commercial arts.
    Business was pretty good. The entire concept I had in my head didnt fully materialize, but I guess I can save parts of it for later. Many probably do not understand the popularity for internet gaming cafes, but consider this: when I opened mine 4 years ago, there were about 4 gaming cafes. 2 closed down but there are now 7 on the island.
    The thing I miss most is the clients. I saw 11 year olds almost every day grow up to be 15 year olds. I saw adults change jobs, girlfriends, and still hang out with them.
    Unless an investor pops up, I think the best thing for my new life is to get a decent paying job, raise a family, and start living life again.
    Yes, my store was called Superconnected - Internet gaming cafe, PC repair, DVD rentals, and wireless phones and accessories. It was in Nuuanu. I know about SCORE and the SBA. The SBA helped me get my loan for the store. They published an article about my store in their annual report: http://www.hawaii-sbdc.org/reports/ar2002/ar02-08.pdf
    Last edited by Hellbent; August 26, 2006, 03:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

BTW: I'm looking for a Part-time Job. If anyone knows of anyplace dat needs a person like me (clap, clap) ...please let me know. I'm very responsible and I don't swear on the job. Honest.

Hours - Open

Duties - Open
    I have many Skills.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

P.S. I'm Serious!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X