Grocery Outlet in Kalihi closing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery Outlet in Kalihi closing

Citing the loss of his lease, the owner of Grocery Outlet in Kalihi is closing as of the end of March. In order to clear out his inventory quickly, he is cutting prices by as much as 30%. So if you need some inexpensive canned goods (for yourself or to give to a foodbank), this would be a great time to shop there.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Grocery Outlet in Kalihi closing

another store the beau and i love love love is going bye bye bye.

great deals--organic diced tomatoes for less than you'd ever see non-organic at safeway, and little tins of anchovies for about sixty cents. i know--not everyone likes anchovies, but one of my fave dishes is roasted chicken with linguine with garlic and anchovies--something i can now make at home on the cheap with roasted chicken from costco plus whole wheat pasta and loads of garlic and anchovies sauteed in EVOO.

we also bought organic kellogg's rice krispies for less than three bucks a regular-cereal-sized box, organic tea tree shampoo for about two bucks when the same brand/size it's $7.00 at down to earth, and lean cuisine frozen meals for about $2.00. i was bummed when i found all the frozen turkey chubs gone--they would have been about a dolla feety.

i'm not a huge fan-o-spam unless i'm having the unusual craving, but they had loads of spam in various incarnations (hot & spicy, w/cheese). if you are a fan-o-spam, you might wanna get there before they start having all out brawls for 'em like i heard they once did at hilo walmart.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I love that place, too. I originally visited there because my sister informed me that they have some very good inexpensive wine selection. I went there for the wine, but wandered about and noticed that there were a lot of other interesting choices. It was a hit or miss sort of place. You never knew what they would have there. There was something different every week. But that was the fun of it.

My favorite was the Amy’s products—the frozen pizzas and Indian Mattar Paneer—at half the price you’d find at Foodland, Safeway, or even Daiei (Don Quijote). I lost 20 pounds thanks to that.

And of course, the St. Germaine bread at $1.09 (usually sells for +$3.00). They occasionally had Fritz’s Bakery breads (at $1.09) and Ani’s pies and corn bread (I think at $3.99 or 4.99 or less).

The nice thing about Grocery Outlet was that it was not a members club, like Costco or Sam’s Club, with membership fees.

Comment

when my daughter was younger, around 1 yr old, it used to be a convenient place to walk around and pick up a thing or two for her to play with (and later break). sigh... too bad they're closing...
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          I love that place, too. I originally visited there because my sister informed me that they have some very good inexpensive wine selection. I went there for the wine, but wandered about and noticed that there were a lot of other interesting choices. It was a hit or miss sort of place. You never knew what they would have there. There was something different every week. But that was the fun of it.[...]
          Exactly! Plus it had Senior Tuesdays (or was it Wednesdays?!!!). GO started out in Waianae during the mid-1990s. But it just couldn't compete with the loyalty people felt and still feel for Tamura's. Even with the economic deprivation along our coast and GO's great prices, GO still had to move to town. It's been awhile since I shopped there but I loved the wine tastings...try before you buy! They really did have some great wine deals.

Comment

Auwe! Can't believe it's closing. Grocery Outlet is the only place in Kalihi where I can pick up my favorite Stouffer's duplex cookies; $1.49 for a 2-lb package.

Not even the cookies at Price Buster can match that in taste and quantity.

So, who's taking over the place once they're gone?
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              So, who's taking over the place once they're gone?
              Last story I saw said the owners had "different plans" for the building, but didn't say what yet.

Comment

Stores like this are a dice roll, but yes, the wine selection was good, and there were often some great deals on supposedly expired beer. My favorite thing was the cheese cooler. You could get some really good cheeses if your timing was lucky.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Last story I saw said the owners had "different plans" for the building, but didn't say what yet.
                  Wouldn't mind Target taking over the place.

Or Borders, so I no have to go down Ala Moana or up Pearlridge.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                  X