Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varsity Twin Cinema Closing

Varsity movie theater to close Sunday
    Sunday will be the last day of operation for the Varsity Twin Cinema, an aging movie theater — long known for art-house and foreign film offerings — near the University of Hawai'i's Manoa campus. Consolidated Theatres owns the 1.7-acre property at 1106 University Ave., near Beretania Street. The theater was built in 1939.
    Sigh. We knew this day would come, but I was dreading it all along. With all the old theaters closing over the years -- Kuhio Twins, Cinerama, Kapiolani, Waikiki -- it was actually surprising how long the Varsity operated.

My parents would tell stories about how UH classes used to be held there to bring relief to an overcrowded campus... and how it used to have one large screen instead of the current two.

Because of the less mainstream movie selections, the Varsity was always a favorite of mine. I wonder what's playing now? I feel as if I should catch one last flick. It's a sad tradition of sorts.

Re: Varsity Twin Cinema Closing

SO I asume that the property is goin to UH right?
    Thats what I heard.....

While I was still on the islands I was fortunate to have seen a couple of flicks there........

ADVENTURES OF PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT
    AFTER HOURS
    MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
    THE OPPOSITE OF SEX
    STRICTLY BALLROOM

I do credit the VARSITY managed to hold fort since Movie Megaplexes is thee thing nowdays its ashame that they are goin to be NO MORE

Lotsa memories for me and sad to see them go

BTW, is Bubbies still stay next to the to be defunct theater?
    I always dug the suggestive ICE CREAM treats they had there. Whenever I was there I always made a stop at BUBBIES.

Comment

UH? Really? I know there's a "college town" master plan for the area, but I don't see Consolidated selling that prime land to the state for a price the state would pay.

Bubbies is still there.

Okay, so, "Away From Her" and "The Valet" are playing now. Sunday is Father's Day, so I think my gift to myself will be a bittersweet last visit to the old girl. I'm really bummed.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        UH? Really? I know there's a "college town" master plan for the area, but I don't see Consolidated selling that prime land to the state for a price the state would pay.

Bubbies is still there.

Okay, so, "Away From Her" and "The Valet" are playing now. Sunday is Father's Day, so I think my gift to myself will be a bittersweet last visit to the old girl. I'm really bummed.

Yes really
        I did read somewhere and not from thin air.....
        The property is goin to UH and be converted unless its goin to be torn down and rebuilded into dorms errrr something for the students attending UH.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          ...I'm really bummed.
          As am I. When I saw the Breaking News online, I literally felt sick to my stomach.

My older sisters both had their HIST 151 classes when they attended UH in the early 80s. This was before we had the Campus Shuttle.

Some of the greatest movies I've ever seen were shown there.

I am very, very devastated. I think I may just see you there on Sunday, Ryan!
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

There was talk several years ago about putting up a dorm at that spot, but I don't know what became of it.

I do remember taking classes at Varsity -- History 101 lectures by Gavin Daws. Very entertaining and memorable classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
              I do remember taking classes at Varsity -- History 101 lectures by Gavin Daws. Very entertaining and memorable classes.
              I never got to take any classes at Varsity, and being lectured by gavin daws sounds like it really was a memorable experience. i'm jealous.

what i do remember about varsity is that in my late, over-hormoned, teen years i went on quasi-dates with multiple friends there. some of my best high school and early college experiences include the varsity. i remember more about the movie outings than the movies we watched themselves. the only movie i clearly remember watching there was "paris is burning."

does anyone remember any ghost stories re varsity? i vaguely remember that there were several.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

wow, i go away to vegas and miss out. i'll miss the varsity, as i did kapiolani, waikiki 'twins' and all those other ones. i cant say my wife will be displeased as the last time we went to go see 'steamboy' someone tried to break into her truck, not getting in but ruining the driver side door lock.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

That's sad news. I haven't lived here long enough to experience the history of that building - that's cool that they used to use it for overflow classes!

Now there are no first-run indie theaters in Honolulu. That is depressing.

Comment

I just realized that its this Sunday, not last Sunday - sorry, jet lag.

It was nice when Restaurant Row tried to go arthouse but they simply make more money as a 2nd or 3rd run $1 movie theater. Kind of a sad reflection on cutlure in Hawaii. HIFF does fine as a biannual event, but not so much as a every day kind of thing.
                    I suppose that leaves Doris Duke and sorta Movie Museum?
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. I never had a class there. I know I've seen a film or two, but right now all I can remember is "More American Graffiti".

Comment

When I arrived in Oahu in 1979 the Varsity was a single screen theater and UH Manoa no longer used the Varsity as a classroom, I did run into a couple of people who said they had classes there a few years before 79.

As far as movies I watched there, that list would include:
                        Blade Runner
                        Robocop
                        To Be or Not to Be
                        In the Line of Fire
                        The Groove Tube
                        Henry Fool
                        The Big Kahuna
                        Deterrence
                        A Prairie Home Companion

The only thing that was special at the Varsity in it's later years was that you could butter your own popcorn by squeezing it from a bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                          There was talk several years ago about putting up a dorm at that spot, but I don't know what became of it.

i definitely remember taking my history class at the Varsity and i presume gavin was the guy who was lecturing. even now, i can remember how he would run his fingers through his thick white hair, clear his throat, and sound like a horse! he had a good presence and would take off his glasses and glare at his audience when making a point...
                          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I never saw a movie there, but I passed it every day on my way to UH; for some reason I feel sad about it now

Comment

Oh that is sad. Varsity and the Art Academy are the two places that show films that wouldn't be widely shown here.

Comment

Working...
                              X