• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palama Kid
    replied
    Re: Defunct Movie Theaters

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    You mean near where the bus stop sits now? At one time wasnt that also an American Savings Bank before the 2 story ASB was built at the shopping center across the street.

Aj
    second try

Yup, that's about right. Buuut might also be closer to School Street, maybe where the overpass is. Dunno exactly.

Never went to too many movies, but distinctly remember seeing Kirk Douglas in "Lonely Are The Brave" there. Now, that was one fine movie.

This brings back fond memories. Going to samurai and obake neko movies with my uncle or mom, then stopping off at the insai / outsai saimin stands along Beretania / Ala Pahk for 25-cents small saimin & 10-cents BBQ sticks.

I crying in my oatmeal now. Peeeteeful, yeah?

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
    Just remembered the Liliha Theatre, across the street from the Liliha Library.
    You mean near where the bus stop sits now? At one time wasnt that also an American Savings Bank before the 2 story ASB was built at the shopping center across the street.

Aj

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
    What about Kalihi Theater, Golden Wall, and Pawaa Theater.
    First movie I saw at Kuhio Theater was Ben Hur, on an excursion(field trip) when I was going to Lanakila Elementary School.
    PAWAA became CINERAMA.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

I'm remembering another one in Kailua. I don't know the name of it, but I saw "Mary Poppins" there. The building was torn down and now there's a Good Year place there. It might have also included the Burger King next door.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

This might fall under "Defunct Movie Stuff or Practices" but in the 70's when a movie got advertised on TV it will also say which theater it is playing at. I don't remember when they stop that practice.

Leave a comment:

• D'Alani
    replied

What about Kalihi Theater, Golden Wall, and Pawaa Theater.
    First movie I saw at Kuhio Theater was Ben Hur, on an excursion(field trip) when I was going to Lanakila Elementary School.

Leave a comment:

• Mike_Lowery
    replied

Originally posted by helen View Post
    Ohhh, Lihue Theater, now a senior retirement home.

There was another theater in Lihue on Rice Street about a block or two from the fire station. I can't remember if the name was Kauai or Aloha theater.
    Kauai theater used to be in Lihue. Aloha Theater was near the Hanapepe fire station. Kauai theater has some offices in the same building. Aloha Theater still stands, empty.

Leave a comment:

• Palama Kid
    replied

Just remembered the Liliha Theatre, across the street from the Liliha Library.

Leave a comment:

• Miulang
    replied

If we're going to start naming off Neighbor Island movie theaters, there was Iao Theater in Wailuku, still sort of a theater today, being used nowadays by a community theatre group mostly. King Theater on North Vineyard St. (almost across from the old Yokouchi Bakery), where the Thai restaurant is now. Paia Theater, wiped out by a tsunami. The old Kahului Theater, now the site of a Burger King on the corner of Hana Hwy and Puunene Ave.. Kahului Drive Inn, where Maui Community College is now (near where the Pa'aina Culinary Center is). Hooo...we used to have good fun in there! Cram lots of people in the car, pull up next to the speakers, and then pile out of the car to head for the refreshment stand! Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure there was a theater in Puunene too, which served the plantation camps. But that one was gone waaaay before my time!

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; July 29, 2007, 07:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MatildaRose
    replied

The only time I went to the King Theater is to see Escape from New York.

The last movie I saw at King Theater was E.T. It may even have been the last movie shown there...

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Ohhh, Lihue Theater, now a senior retirement home.

There was another theater in Lihue on Rice Street about a block or two from the fire station. I can't remember if the name was Kauai or Aloha theater.

Leave a comment:

• Mike_Lowery
    replied

Roxy Theater, Kapaa, Kauai.

It got demolished after Hurricane Iniki in 1992. An ABC store is now on the site. I remember going there up until 1987. They showed Tagalog films in the last few years it was operating, and there was a Mexican/ Puerto Rican restaurant in the lobby. It's the only theater I've been to where you couldn't smell popcorn, because it smelled like pastele.

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

The only time I went to the King Theater is to see Escape from New York.
    The only film I saw at the King was WILLARD (the one about the rats).

Memorable films I viewed at other theaters:

CINERAMA - M*A*S*H;
    ROYAL - THE GRADUATE;
    WAIKIKI 1/2 - THE STING; AMERICAN GRAFFIT;
    WAIKIKI 3 - POSEIDON ADVENTURE;
    TOHO/KAPIOLANI - Lone Wolf with Baby Cart series/TOOTSIE;
    KAIMUKI - PRUDENCE AND THE PILL/IMPOSSIBLE YEARS (David Niven twin bill);
    ILIKAI MARINA - ELEPHANT MAN;
    KUHIO - VISIONS OF EIGHT (documentary on 1972 Olympics);
    VARSITY - APRIL FOOLS;
    KAPAHULU - HOW SWEET IT IS;
    QUEEN - some X-rated 3-D flick about flight attendants;
    KAHALA MALL - TWINS;
    KOKO MARINA - BACK TO THE FUTURE;
    PEARLRIDGE - one of the later STAR WARS;
    MILILANI - AIR FORCE ONE;
    PEARL CITY HIGHLANDS - GENERAL'S DAUGHTER;
    NIPPON - one of the ZATOICHI flicks;
    WAIALAE DRIVE-IN - PLAY MISTY FOR ME;
    KAM DRIVE-IN - can't remember the movie;
    ROYAL SUNSET DRIVE-IN - can't remember this one, either;
    KAILUA DRIVE-IN - LIVE AND LET DIE;

and finally, on the UH Manoa campus ........ DEEP THROAT!

Leave a comment:

• gchun
    replied

Wasn't there a theater on the corner of Cooke & Queen Streets? At one time, there was a Monsanto office (astroturf)? There's some kind of watersports store now. What was that theater named?

Garry

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
    Yes it was mentioned, I see that
    Then why did you say, "No mention of The King Theaters that used to be part of The Royal Chain?"

What I was aiming for is WHAT STANDS in its space now
    You and Helen are correct: It's still a parking structure. It was still a theater when I was a bus-riding intermediate-schooler, and I remember thinking I couldn't wait until I was a little older, so my other bus-riding friends and I could maybe catch movies there after school before going the rest of the way home. By the time that happened, it was a parking structure.

The day they knocked down the Pally
    My sister stood and cried:
    "How could they knock down the Pally?
    Part of my childhood died...
    Just died..."
    Last edited by scrivener; July 29, 2007, 04:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X