Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Defunct Movie Theaters

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
    OMG! I stay skaid just thinking about it. She wasn't holding a sharp object, was she?! I mean..not trying to get personal...sharp object like in the movie...oh, never mind...
    I gotta admit that it was our first date ....... and it was her choice. But, we stayed in the front seat and didn't stick around for the second feature (I don't remember the title).

Comment

Before it closes...word on the Advertiser on todays paper....very soon due to lease xpiration....Keolu Cinemas--at the Keolu Shopping Center, is due to shut down soon.

Comment

This article in the Star Bulletin today confirms plans on the closure of the Keolu Theater and Aikahi in Kailua.

The Keolu Center Cinemas are set to shut down by the end of April, while the Aikahi Park Shopping Center is negotiating for a new tenant to take over the Aikahi Twin theater space.
        The days of the dollar movies are numbered.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This begs the question when did the Wallace Theaters become the Hollywood Theaters?

Comment

Holiday Theaters was owned at one time by Holiday Mart right?

The Theaters that were once at the Windward Shopping Center are now 24 Hour Fitness.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              <sigh> Tell me about it. Coral Reef, India Imports, Penny's, Liberty House, House of Music, Singer, Honolulu Bookstore, Woolworths, Hopaco ....

Ala Moana used to be a nice place to visit and shop. Now, outside of a few places like Sears and Longs, it's all for the tourists and fashion folks. There's got to be more that I haven't mentioned.

Also from the past:

O'TAHEITE, which was originally COOK'S BAY - mall level, Diamond Head end, makai side near Liberty House, Shirokiya, Conrad Jewelers;
              PALM BEACH SHOP;
              PAUL'S JEWELERS;
              CONRAD JEWELERS;
              SECURITY DIAMOND;
              MORROW'S NUT HOUSE - all outlets have disappeared, including Pearlridge and Kahala Mall;
              HOTEI-YA;
              JEAN-LU TOYS;
              PRINCE KUHIO COFFEE SHOP;
              VILLA ROMA;
              CAROL AND MARY'S;
              IIDA'S;
              JOE PACIFIC;
              WONG'S OKAZUYA;
              BYRON II;
              LYNN'S DELICATESSEN;
              SATO CLOTHIERS;
              STANDARD SHOES;
              KRAMER'S;
              KRAMER'S BIG AND TALL;
              RITZ DEPARTMENT STORE;
              THOM McAN;
              LEEDS;
              PLUSH PIPPIN;
              FISHMONGER'S WIFE;
              FOLLOWING SEA (curio shop in the adjacent Ala Moana Building).

I know, I know, I'm really dating myself ...........

Comment

Originally posted by hifotog View Post
                Before it closes...word on the Advertiser on todays paper....very soon due to lease xpiration....Keolu Cinemas--at the Keolu Shopping Center, is due to shut down soon.
                Hmmm, and the Enchanted Lake Cinemas (literally next door to the Keolu Cinemas) closed a few years ago. Definitely part of a trend where the 2 or 4 screen theaters in midsize shopping centers are closing as movie fans flock to the larger, more modern megaplexes.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  Also from the past:
                  [...]LEEDS;
                  Really? There was a Leeds at AMC? Come to think of it I haven't needed a Leed's (dyed to match shoes and purse) since high school!
                  FOLLOWING SEA (curio shop in the adjacent Ala Moana Building).

I know, I know, I'm really dating myself ...........
                  That was always my favorite store for gifts. Lotsa handmade pottery, blown glass, yada, yada. Some really gorgeous stuff. They eventually ended up in Kahala Mall. Not being much of a shopper, I believe TFS is gone now. Too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Really? There was a Leeds at AMC? Come to think of it I haven't needed a Leed's (dyed to match shoes and purse) since high school!
                    Yeah was in street level, ocean & ewa side of the shopping center. More or less where Sam Goody (or whatever it's called now) resides.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      WONG'S OKAZUYA;
                      BYRON II;
                      FISHMONGER'S WIFE;
                      It's not just those Ala Moana restaurants that have closed. Almost all of the restaurants owned by Andrew Wong's family have shut down. (Andy's Drive In, Andrew's, Orson's, Coral Reef, Chinese Chuckwagon and Seafood Emporium.) The only ones that remain in business are Byron's Drive In near the airport and Chowder House at Ward Warehouse.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                      X