Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Defunct Movie Theaters

Originally posted by helen View Post
    The only time I went to the King Theater is to see Escape from New York.

The last movie I saw at King Theater was E.T. It may even have been the last movie shown there...

Comment

If we're going to start naming off Neighbor Island movie theaters, there was Iao Theater in Wailuku, still sort of a theater today, being used nowadays by a community theatre group mostly. King Theater on North Vineyard St. (almost across from the old Yokouchi Bakery), where the Thai restaurant is now. Paia Theater, wiped out by a tsunami. The old Kahului Theater, now the site of a Burger King on the corner of Hana Hwy and Puunene Ave.. Kahului Drive Inn, where Maui Community College is now (near where the Pa'aina Culinary Center is). Hooo...we used to have good fun in there! Cram lots of people in the car, pull up next to the speakers, and then pile out of the car to head for the refreshment stand! Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure there was a theater in Puunene too, which served the plantation camps. But that one was gone waaaay before my time!

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; July 29, 2007, 07:19 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Just remembered the Liliha Theatre, across the street from the Liliha Library.
        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
          Ohhh, Lihue Theater, now a senior retirement home.

There was another theater in Lihue on Rice Street about a block or two from the fire station. I can't remember if the name was Kauai or Aloha theater.
          Kauai theater used to be in Lihue. Aloha Theater was near the Hanapepe fire station. Kauai theater has some offices in the same building. Aloha Theater still stands, empty.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

What about Kalihi Theater, Golden Wall, and Pawaa Theater.
            First movie I saw at Kuhio Theater was Ben Hur, on an excursion(field trip) when I was going to Lanakila Elementary School.

Comment

This might fall under "Defunct Movie Stuff or Practices" but in the 70's when a movie got advertised on TV it will also say which theater it is playing at. I don't remember when they stop that practice.

Comment

I'm remembering another one in Kailua. I don't know the name of it, but I saw "Mary Poppins" there. The building was torn down and now there's a Good Year place there. It might have also included the Burger King next door.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                  What about Kalihi Theater, Golden Wall, and Pawaa Theater.
                  First movie I saw at Kuhio Theater was Ben Hur, on an excursion(field trip) when I was going to Lanakila Elementary School.
                  PAWAA became CINERAMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                    Just remembered the Liliha Theatre, across the street from the Liliha Library.
                    You mean near where the bus stop sits now? At one time wasnt that also an American Savings Bank before the 2 story ASB was built at the shopping center across the street.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      You mean near where the bus stop sits now? At one time wasnt that also an American Savings Bank before the 2 story ASB was built at the shopping center across the street.

Aj
                      second try

Yup, that's about right. Buuut might also be closer to School Street, maybe where the overpass is. Dunno exactly.

Never went to too many movies, but distinctly remember seeing Kirk Douglas in "Lonely Are The Brave" there. Now, that was one fine movie.

This brings back fond memories. Going to samurai and obake neko movies with my uncle or mom, then stopping off at the insai / outsai saimin stands along Beretania / Ala Pahk for 25-cents small saimin & 10-cents BBQ sticks.

I crying in my oatmeal now. Peeeteeful, yeah?
                      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

You're right, Liliha Theater was where the freeway is now on the makai/ewa corner of School and Liliha. Liliha. Palama, and Kalihi Theaters all had a Saturday morning cartoon club.

Comment

You're right, Liliha Theater was where the freeway is now on the makai/ewa corner of School and Liliha. Liliha. Palama, and Kalihi Theaters all had a Saturday morning cartoon club.
                          We had those Saturday morning kids' clubs in Hilo, too, at the Palace Theater. Ours was called the Mickey Mouse Club and cost a dime for seven cartoons and a movie, usually a John Wayne western or war movie, or a sci-fi flick like "The Giant Claw" or "Twenty Million Miles From Earth."

A quarter went a long way back then: a dime for the ticket and the rest for the concession stand. Candy bars were a nickel, preserved seeds (e.g. li hing mui) or sodas a dime. This was a cheap form of child care for parents to get their kids out of their hair for a couple of hours each Saturday.

You'd get a coupon for free admission for your birthday and the management passed out free 5 oz. ice cream cups at Christmas time.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                            We had those Saturday morning kids' clubs in Hilo, too, at the Palace Theater. Ours was called the Mickey Mouse Club and cost a dime for seven cartoons and a movie, usually a John Wayne western or war movie, or a sci-fi flick like "The Giant Claw" or "Twenty Million Miles From Earth."

A quarter went a long way back then: a dime for the ticket and the rest for the concession stand. Candy bars were a nickel, preserved seeds (e.g. li hing mui) or sodas a dime. This was a cheap form of child care for parents to get their kids out of their hair for a couple of hours each Saturday.

You'd get a coupon for free admission for your birthday and the management passed out free 5 oz. ice cream cups at Christmas time.
                            The Palace no longer operates a regular movie house, but is an arts and cinema venue similar to the Hawaii Theater on Bethel St. I believe that the Pawaa also had a similar club for kids.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post

Oh yeah brings back good memories. I had to polish my fathers shoes for my quarter but was well worth it.

Comment

I wonder when the freeway was built there, I assume it was built in sections over a period of years?

I have read the McDonad's at that corner (though the structure has changed several times to now a 2 story building) dates back to at the very least the early 70's as one of the oldest McDonald's on Oahu.

Aj

Comment

Working...
                                X