Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Solutions Controversy

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...me_policy.html

"Network Solutions is standing by its controversial policy of automatically registering some domain names that are the subject of searches on the company's Web site.

After testing the concept in December, the domain name registration company quietly began doing this over the past weekend. Potential customers who used the company's "Find a domain" search engine would suddenly find the domain names they had been searching for were registered to Network Solutions itself, making them temporarily unable to purchase the domain from another provider.

Industry watchers were quick to blast the new policy, saying that it either forced searchers to become Network Solutions customers, or exposed their ideas to scammers, who would be able to snatch up the domains the second they were released. "It is a deplorable action that Network Solutions would announce potential domain names to the entire world," wrote Jay Westerdal, on the DomainTools blog.... " /snip

eta the wiki on Network Solutions and domain name frontrunning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Solutions
    Last edited by Adri; January 10, 2008, 11:24 PM.

Re: Network Solutions Controversy

Yes, this was posted on Slashdot a couple of days ago. The immediate result? Thousands of Slashdot readers went to Netsol and started searching for domain names!

I would bet that they tied up a couple million domain names in the course of a day.

But Netsol is releasing them after the 5 day grace period, so no skin to them.
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I think this is the company that persistently sends me renewal notices/bills with warnings that should I not renew by <insert date> I'll lose my domain names. I use TigerTech and I return the NS info and write FAT CHANCE in extra wide, black felt tip markers across the bill!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        I think this is the company that persistently sends me renewal notices/bills with warnings that should I not renew by <insert date> I'll lose my domain names. I use TigerTech and I return the NS info and write FAT CHANCE in extra wide, black felt tip markers across the bill!!!
        Sue, that's hilarious! Yes, they are the PITAs who harass you that unless you renew your domain name RIGHT NOW WITH NETWORK SOLUTIONS, YOU COULD LOSE YOUR DOMAIN (in three years).

I hate them.

Another bunch that harass their paying customers is register.com. Hate them, too.

Register all my domains through GoDaddy.com
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I go with godaddy too, but something annoying is happening with godaddy though. If you type in certain popular domain names, people have started (or is it godaddy?) camping common names too...like when I went to search hawaiiopen.com....settled for .net because whoever is camping the "premium domain name" wanted $1,188. No thanks heh.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            I think I'd be tempted to send it to consumer protection.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              I think I'd be tempted to send it to consumer protection.
              I'd be willing to do that if I had the time to deal with follow-ups.

Comment

Working...
              X