Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fax, DSL, Windows XP question

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
    Well, Craig, here's what I bought. It looks like I can do what I want, but if you think otherwise...

Not to be confused with this Radio Shack product. BTW even the web designer for RS made this mistake as this product is the RJ-14 to RJ-11 adapter.

The one you showed is okay as it's a simple three way adapter
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Not to be confused with this Radio Shack product. BTW even the web designer for RS made this mistake as this product is the RJ-14 to RJ-11 adapter.

The one you showed is okay as it's a simple three way adapter
      Well, I'm holding the product in its package, and the product number is 279-435, and the name is 3-way modular jack, so I think I'm ok.

You know what's annoying? The price on the web is $2 cheaper than it was at Pearlridge.

Addendum: I went ahead and replaced the old splitter with the new one. I've got dial tones all three places and the fax I wanted to send apparently made it through to Senator Inouye's local office.

Good. Although that wall jack now looks like a picture you see in all electrical installation diagrams that says "Don't do this!"
      Last edited by Linkmeister; January 25, 2008, 03:48 PM.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        On some PCI fax cards, there is a line in and a TEL RJ-11 jacks (two jacks). The line in provides the connection to the TELCO while the TEL jack gives the fax user another jack to plug their analog phone into. If you have jacks like that simply plug the fax card into the DSL filter going to your wall jack and the DSL modem into the TEL jack on your fax card. That jack is simply an extension RJ-11 and functions like the second split on a two-way splitter.
        I'm trying to make a picture in my brain from this description, and it's not working (the picture, not my brain).

If the wall jack leads to a DSL filter, and the DSL filter is plugged into the fax card, and the DSL modem is plugged into the fax card's TEL jack, then wouldn't the DSL filter keep the DSL freqs from reaching the DSL modem?
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

No, you don't plug the fax to the DSL modem.

In Linkmeister's setup where he has a three way splitter connected to the telephone jack. From that splitter the following lines are connected to it:
          1. DSL modem (no DSL filter used)
          2. telephone (DSL filter)
          3. line to the modem on the PC (DSL filter)

In essence there will be two lines running into his PC. One cable runs from the DSL modem to the Ethernet port on his computer. If one looks at the end of this cable you would notice that it has 8 connectors to it. This cable all of the networking traffic goes through it.

The second cable runs between the wall splitter (position #3) to the computer's dial up modem port. The ends of this cable would have 4 connectors to it. What passes through this cable is whenever he wants to send a fax (I suppose recieve an incoming fax as well).

Comment

Helen has my setup described accurately.

What passes through this cable is whenever he wants to send a fax (I suppose recieve an incoming fax as well).
            Or, potentially, my dial-up access in case of DSL failure. I think.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
            X