X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD TV Question

My brother got this LCD TV recently.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdt...levision.shtml

He currently has his DVD player connected through the coax slot in the back of the TV. There was no A/V slots to connect to in the back of TV. The picture looks very un-DVD like quality.

I'm not sure exactly, but there was a HDMI slot back there. Is that how the DVD player connects to the TV ?

Which leads me to another question. He has a Philips DVD player. Which I believe does not have a HDMI slot. Although
    I have a DVD player that does have a HDMI slot.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: LCD TV Question

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    My brother got this LCD TV recently.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdt...levision.shtml

He currently has his DVD player connected through the coax slot in the back of the TV. There was no A/V slots to connect to in the back of TV. The picture looks very un-DVD like quality.
    Most DVD players have other connections besides coax and AV, like Component Video (like AV but you have three video plugs -- not one -- to connect).

I'm not sure exactly, but there was a HDMI slot back there. Is that how the DVD player connects to the TV ?
    Based on what I read here:

http://www.polaroid.com/global/detai...bmLocale=en_US

The unit only have DVI, in addition to coax (for antenna), AV RCA, and Component Video. You also have D-sub to connect to your PC.

If your DVD player have DVI then get a DVI cable.

If your DVD player have HDMI, you need to get a converter cable (one end to plug in HDMI port and the other end to plug in the TV's DVI port).

Component Video is the next best. Followed by AV RCA.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I think I have to get the exact model number from my brother or take a photograph of the back so I can get better idea of what is going on. All I know is connecting the DVD player via coax looks like crap.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I think I have to get the exact model number from my brother or take a photograph of the back so I can get better idea of what is going on. All I know is connecting the DVD player via coax looks like crap.
        I hardly use coax for anything other than antenna.

If your brother lost the TV's user guide, go to www.polaroids.com to download a PDF copy. At the very least it should tell what connection can you make between the DVD player and the TV.

Comment

It is a modern TV, as for the DVD player, I dunno. Simple RCA jacks are normally all it takes. I have never had an issue with my HDTV and DVD quality.

How about the DVD player make/year?
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

If the coax connection really looks that bad you may want to check the f-connector itself. Typically the signal shouldn't be so bad it's crap.

I'm surprised that tv set has an HDMI input but no composite or s-video input. Be aware however that some earlier flat panel TV sets that did not come with a built in digital tuner that did include the DVI connector won't give you a true native resolution and you may as well use the composite video input instead.

To me it looks like you need to upgrade to a DVD player that has an HDMI output to take advantage of that tv's digital inputs.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Here's the user guide:

http://www.polaroid.com/service/user...flm2601_ug.pdf

Comment

I was working in electrical rough tonight and I was looking at the TV cables. I think my brother's DVD player has a S-Video slot. There is a bunch of slots on the back of the LCD TV. If I go the S-Video route, do I need a video cable and a audio cable ?
                The Kona Blog

Comment

I was working in electrical rough tonight and I was looking at the TV cables. I think my brother's DVD player has a S-Video slot. There is a bunch of slots on the back of the LCD TV. If I go the S-Video route, do I need a video cable and a audio cable ?

You just need an audio cable as the S-video only passes a somewhat higher quality video signal than the standard "Yellow" video output jack on the DVD player.

What kind of outputs does the DVD player have?

Comment

I believe his Philips DVD player has a S-Video slot, along with the standard
                    A/V slots for a normal TV. I'm not sure if the TV has a S-Video slot though.
                    I'm probably going to have to ask my brother about that. Especially since this TV
                    is at his house in the HOVE.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

I bought a S-Video/Audio cable today at Wal-Mart. I drove to HOVE and hooked
                      up my brother's DVD and HDTV. It worked perfectly. I could've went HDMI also,
                      but I didn't want to spend the extra money . On top of that his DVD player did not have a HDMI slot.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

If you decide to purchase HDMI cables (or any other cables) in the future, consider monoprice.com. We've purchased a lot of cables from them and are extremely happy with their quality. Not only are their prices great, their customer service is right up there, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040 View Post
                          If you decide to purchase HDMI cables (or any other cables) in the future, consider monoprice.com. We've purchased a lot of cables from them and are extremely happy with their quality. Not only are their prices great, their customer service is right up there, too.
                          Wow, thanks for the tip
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

but I didn't want to spend the extra money . On top of that his DVD player did not have a HDMI slot.
                            Does he have Component Video? You'll need to get the cable with three video plugs on both ends, and connect audio RCA cable. Normally supplied with the player (along with AV RCA cable).

Comment

Okay Aaron if his DVD player didn't have a HDMI slot then how "could've" you gone HDMI? Gotcha!

Comment

Working...
                              X