Dropping Dish Network for Direct TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping Dish Network for Direct TV

Okay after a few months of "No Signal" from Dish Network's only available satellite, I've had it. I called them to cancel and am hooking up with Direct TV.

For $60 a month I get Dish's standard plan with four standard receivers

For $80 a month I get Direct TV's Choice plan with three HD receivers and one HD/DVR. PLUS BETTER SIGNAL!!!

For an additional $50 they said they can hook me up with high speed internet with no second line meaning up/down linking thru the dish. The downside is that I have to pay $300 for the equipment but get a $100 rebate. I'm considering it but I have to see how good their satellite reception is because if it's fairly reliable, I may drop my wireless broad band in favor of satellite broadband. The reason is because I may consider dropping my landline phone at $68 a month in favor of a VOIP system and save a few more bucks per month.

Direct TV is looking better and better.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Dropping Dish Network for Direct TV

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    For an additional $50 they said they can hook me up with high speed internet with no second line meaning up/down linking thru the dish. The downside is that I have to pay $300 for the equipment but get a $100 rebate. I'm considering it but I have to see how good their satellite reception is because if it's fairly reliable, I may drop my wireless broad band in favor of satellite broadband. The reason is because I may consider dropping my landline phone at $68 a month in favor of a VOIP system and save a few more bucks per month.
    I've read that Satellite Internet has a higher latency than traditional Internet
    access. Thus consequently VoIP doesn't work very well with it ? You may want to check on the latter.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Thanks Aaron. Advanced Wireless told me they could support VOIP without having the logon issues. Unlike DSL or Cable, Advanced Wireless times you out if there's no activity for a period of time. I was told however that VOIP wouldn't be part of the logon sequence as long as it's done thru their system.

I'm really interested as my landline thru Hawaiian Telecom runs $68 per month (free interisland and mainland long distance calling, enhanced services package) Seems the only ones interested in calling me are telemarketers and the once in a while courtesy calls telling me I missed a payment. Oh yeah and the lastest telling me my extended warranty on my car is running out. Hmmm I don't remember having one at all for all of my five PAID FOR automobiles. Sheesh.

Comment

Read that Internet contract really carefully. I've heard stories about that. At least one provider puts a daily cap on the traffic. Exceed that amount and you go into the "penalty box" and your Internet crawls to Dial-up speed. I've heard horror stories about just the download of Windows patches from a fresh install will do it.

Not to mention the latency.

Frankly I think satellite Internet is broadband of last resort.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          Read that Internet contract really carefully. I've heard stories about that. At least one provider puts a daily cap on the traffic. Exceed that amount and you go into the "penalty box" and your Internet crawls to Dial-up speed. I've heard horror stories about just the download of Windows patches from a fresh install will do it.

Not to mention the latency.

Frankly I think satellite Internet is broadband of last resort.
          Okay maybe I'll stick to my wireless broadband

Comment

I was too looking into getting the satellite internet service from the company who installed my Dishnetwork and they told me that it was not the best move to get the internet via satellite unless i lived in a remote area... they said that it was too expensive per month and had latency problems... they said they only do one internet sale every 3 months to people in remote areas or for backups... so id stay away from it. I got dish and for the price and smaller dish than directv it works out great for me... the company who did my install ( http://www.hawaiisatelliteservices.com/Home.html ) upgrade me to a 30" dish for free and i compared the signal strenght to my cousins dish system who has a 24" and its a huge difference! I havnt had a single problem with my dish network

Comment

Working...
            X