Pointer Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointer Problem

First, this is on a secondhand Dell with XP.

What causes the pointer to skidaddle either up or down, diagonally. I can be moving a card on solitaire and all of a sudden the card is up in the right or left hand corner or down in either corner. I can also be using the pointer to click a button and all of a sudden it's gone. When I slow the speed down, you can see it simply zip off the screen. A couple seconds later it reappears and I can use it like normal. It doesn't just dissappear. It actually moves off screen. Any ideas? I already tried updating the driver.

I'm using one of those mouses with the red light on the bottom and uses a USB plug. Btw, I have this same problem on this puter with a couple of other mice as well, one USB and one with the standard plug.

Re: Pointer Problem

Is it a laptop or a desktop? If it's a laptop, do you have similar problems while using the touchpad? Also, have you tried a different mouse? Same problems or no problems?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
      I'm using one of those mouses with the red light on the bottom
      Otherwise known as an optical mouse.

and uses a USB plug. Btw, I have this same problem on this puter with a couple of other mice as well, one USB and one with the standard plug.
      So I take it you only have one computer and 3 mouses. One is an optical USB mouse, the second is an USB mouse and the third is the PS/2 mouse.

Are the second and third mouses also optical or do they have the ball on the bottom?

The first mouse you describe is it wired or wireless?

And the place that you use the mouse, do you use a mousepad or just a plain desktop? On the bottom of the first mouse does it seem that the coloration of the mousepad or the surface of the desktop that you use are on the bottom of the mouse?

Comment

Yeah, why is that with optical mouse (mine is wired), the pointer tend to run away from me, sometimes tucked the pointer up in the corner? It's not even funny when I'm playing Might & Magic and my screen started spinning (mouse used to move the player's viewpoint).

I might want to go back to using ball mouse.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Ran, get da same problem too?

I got 3 mice. 2 are optical and one ball. Only one of the optical mice uses the USB cable. Both of the others use the standard cables and plugs. I run the thang on a bare desktop/keyboard shelf, but it has a wood "texture" laminated onto particle board. Does that make a difference?

Okay, I'll try using Mel's puppy pad.

Oooops. This is a desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
            I run the thang on a bare desktop/keyboard shelf, but it has a wood "texture" laminated onto particle board. Does that make a difference?
            Well, yes it does. Heheh. Been playing and surfing for the past 15 minutes of so and the pointer hasn't jumped once after using the mouse on a "proper" pad.

Mahalo, Helen, for asking.

Comment

I got a $20 MS optical mouse with a USB plug but comes with a PS/2 port adaptor. Bought it more than 5 years ago. If I buy a new $20 optical mouse will it be a new (and improved) generation of optical technology?
              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

From what I've heard, the Microsoft BASIC mouse is prone to problems. The "regular" is fine.

Comment

check your mousepad. I have an optical mouse that had similar problems. The problem with optical mice is they need a surface that has a consistant shade or color. Some of these mousepads have pictures of anything but the worst ones are the ones that have reflective silver or gold foil patterns imprinted on them. The difference in reflected light can cause the mouse to react differently when that differing reflected light hits the photocell.

Why in the world would they make mousepads that would do that to an optical mouse? Because in the old days (hmmm) mice had balls...(I guess today's mice are more timid?) and they didn't need to worry about the color of the pad but more about the texture of it.

I guess if my balls were being dragged on a surface, texture would be a real concern to me! But now Mice have been castrated and use light instead of balls for tracking so color is more important than texture.

Right now my optical mouse sits on my desk's clear oak wood keyboard pull out shelf. The woodgrain pattern causes the pointer to shoot all over the place when I move the mouse over the wood pattern.

Try putting your mouse on a single color mousepad and see if the problem persists.
                  Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 5, 2008, 08:24 AM.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X