Bundled data service plans -- internet + TV cable + landline + cellphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bundled data service plans -- internet + TV cable + landline + cellphone

I currently pay three separate bills for four different types of data services. Boy, it adds up.

Internet: Road Runner (Time Warner)
    TV cable: Oceanic (Time Warner)
    Landline: Hawaiian Telcom
    Cellphone: AT&T

Does it make sense to use one of those bundled deals -- like, moving to digital phone service through Time Warner instead of POTS from Hawaiian Telcom? Or getting my internet service via DSL instead of cable?

Re: Bundled data service plans -- Internet + TV cable + landline + cellphone

You'll have to add up what you pay and then compare with with a plan that you'd like. It seems to me that in most cases you'd end up paying for that convenient one (large) bill.

I my case, my landline phone is $33.69 (Oceanic wants $39.95 + tax - but it includes unlimited long distance. But I don't need that)

My DSL Internet is $31.24. Oceanic wants $44.95 + tax. I'm paying $48.91for analog TV. Seems like I should get more for that amount. I should look into satellite.

So for me, I save more the further I get from Oceanic.

Comment

Re: Bundled data service plans -- internet + TV cable + landline + cellphone

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
      Does it make sense to use one of those bundled deals -- like, moving to digital phone service through Time Warner instead of POTS from Hawaiian Telcom? Or getting my internet service via DSL instead of cable?
      They make it hard to figure out the pricing, don't they? Rock-bottom phone & DSL from Hawaiian Tel costs us about $57.75/month (no long distance). And depending on coverage you may be able to add Clearwire to your ISP comparisons.

Our neighborhood Oceanic cable floods out too frequently (in two different locations) and I grew tired of being treated like an idiot by their customer service. Neighbors have similar complaints about Oceanic's digital phone service, although these neighbors also carry cell phones (I don't). I'm not going back to RoadRunner unless they fix their ragged gear or upgrade to fiber.

Which is one of the risks with an all-in-one package-- when (not "if") it goes down you may be totally out of business.
      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Re: Bundled data service plans -- Internet + TV cable + landline + cellphone

My objective has long been to remove Oceanic from my life. We're currently drawing their basic cable service, and that alone annoys me.

If bundled services provided significant savings, I'd consider them. But as has been noted, regardless of provider, their plans and options are so slippery that I suspect you'd end up paying more (which probably explains why they push them so hard). But regardless of price, I'm more concerned about the "eggs all in one basket" issue.

I like having diverse connections to the rest of the world. Oceanic provides TV, HiTel the internet, Sprint and AT&T are our cell phone providers, and of course a multitude of internet-based options for TV alternatives.

Comment

I'm considering getting this gizmo. You can Bluetooth connect up to 3 cell phones. I have an old cordless system sitting in my closet that I could use to hook up to it. I don't carry my cell around with me when I'm at home, so this could help me with that convenience. http://www.amazon.com/Intellitouch-I.../dp/B000S1W7ES

Comment

Last message timed out. Let me try this again.

I'm not sure if Noe signed up during a deal but for $100 a month we have landline (includes long distance), cable + DVR box, and internet services from OTWC.

Our cellphone service has been with Sprint for more than five years, but Sprint just announced an UNLIMITED EVERYTHING plan for $99 a month.

But, as PZ mentioned, the risks of bundling means one service down, all are more than likely down. During the past holidays, we were without service for 'bout a week due to heavy rains.
            ___
            "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
            X